1UZ to Tremec TKO600

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
cribbj said:
Eric, with due respect, money doesn't grow on trees everywhere else like it does at SF. You may have noticed this board's membership doesn't throw thousands of dollars around just because a fast talking salesman says something will work, but doesn't have a running car to prove it. I don't call that p*ssing ourselves at all; I call that caution and discretion.

For everyone's benefit, Getrag's rating on their type 233 transmission, (better known as the Toyota V160) is 490 Nm, which is 361 lb-ft of torque.

Tremec's rating on their TKO600 is 600 lb-ft.

Regardless of the hype and opinions about which one is stronger, these are the manufacturers' ratings. You decide which is better for your own application.

HP means very little when talking about transmissions and clutches. Torque is what determines the size/strength of these components.

I know which box works well on boosted 3.0 liter motors that don't make huge amounts of torque off the line, and I know which one I'd want behind a driveshaft snapping big block in a 2 ton vehicle.

John
Cribbj, of all people you yourself should know that the talk of the V160 strength is not hype, it's fact. Many guys, some local, launch their V160 equipped Supra on 30+ pounds of boost, and have torn out many a driveshaft before that box gives way. THe box was meant for a Toyota, so it's natural that it stays in a Toyota.

There's no salesmanship involved, I actually own and drive one. My motor makes well over 1000HP in it's daily driven configuration, and I have shifts at 8700rpm. I also have 183,000 miles on my original V160. Where the TKO600 that can say that?

It doesn't take thousands of dollars wasted, or thrown around, but to do it right, it does take a load of cash. Surprisingly much. Ask me how I know.

I'd say caution as discretion is fair, however, that's only if it's across the board. So far it's not. Do I care? Not really... But when there's an elephant in the room, I don't ignore it, either.

Eric

Interesting point though,Tremec TKO rated 600lb-ft,and V160 Rated Under 400 lb-ft...im estimating that goot makers of products will have a margin of safety.ie 600 lb-ft should have head room for 800 lb-ft (33% margin..?) So The V 160 must have a huge margin..?
All in all its all progress ..LOL

I think the general concensus is that Tremec are probably fairly liberal when rating their boxes, while Getrag are very conservative. Me, I'm a Getrag fan as Eric pointed out, and I hope to see a 5.5 litre V12 in front of mine one of these days, so that I can say with hand on heart that it will indeed take big block amounts of torque.

John

p.s. Eric, I wasn't singling you out as the "only" fast talking salesman. There's a number of "us" on this board trying to get GP's launched for various go fast bits and the membership has held back, wanting to see the stuff work first. For example, we only have 10 brave souls so far who want to try the cast aluminum supercharger manifold. Zuffen only had 10-15 for his rod buy, etc.

Attachments

• dynoPeterV8.jpg
    dynoPeterV8.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 2005_10_22_Adelaide_dyno%20014.jpg
    2005_10_22_Adelaide_dyno%20014.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 13
No offense taken cribbj. : ) I get very adament about the V160 as is has been behind 8 second, full weight quarter mile times, and survives 1000ft/lb shifts. Lord knows why Getrag underrated it so.

Zuffens rods he was advertising were indeed proven. I've talked with many 1uz builders between Australia and New Zealand especially, and they swear by those rods.

Eric

Well I got a tremec 3650 to adapt to my 1uz only coz it was cheap $1100 AUS brand new ex ford runout stock, that was shipped to my door an I live in the middle of knowhere, they are a beech to fit as they have bellhousing cast to front bearing support, nuthin an adapter plate wont fix, an like I said it was cheap an Im a titeass, came with hyd throwout bearing too, shifter is right at rear of ext housing which could cause a prob an has no speedo drive provision

hi-lex said:
Well I got a tremec 3650 to adapt to my 1uz only coz it was cheap $1100 AUS brand new ex ford runout stock, that was shipped to my door an I live in the middle of knowhere, they are a beech to fit as they have bellhousing cast to front bearing support, nuthin an adapter plate wont fix, an like I said it was cheap an Im a titeass, came with hyd throwout bearing too, shifter is right at rear of ext housing which could cause a prob an has no speedo drive provision
Well if you can make it work all good,sounds like you have a good deal there,those box can take 400-500 Hp no probs ..what have you done to the motor?

Interesting,from what iv been reading,stock is good for 400-500 HP blown,depends on this "intercooler" treatment,to me that pretty good,no need to take the heads off etc..all good,thats 10-12 psi of boost,which M90 can do,i think..lol

Attachments

• coils.JPG
    coils.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 20
  • ignition harness.JPG
    ignition harness.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 8
  • CDI.JPG
    CDI.JPG
    17.7 KB · Views: 10
For the price, the TKO is a very good choice. Its rated at 600 lbs of torque. However, the V160 is rated at 361 ft/lbs (from paper). Brand new V160 is about 4-5k. A brand new TKO 600 is about $1,800. Lots of hotrodders use TKO and they are making mega HP from it. Personally i would pick a TKO than a used v160 for the similar price.

Ford TKO600's are a little over $1800 from Summit, I bought one for my Mach 1 this past spring. I have yet to install it (work and OT manages to suck my life away) but I have a number of friends who love their TKO's. They don't like high rpm shifts, but when used for what they're designed for, I have yet to hear a complaint. They're pretty bombproof in road racing, autocross, and drags. Very much bang-for-your-buck so to say.