1UZ speedo setup with RF1A t-case. Help.

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

live4soccer7

I am using the 1UZ in my 4runner and am adapting an R150F with a Dual RF1A Gear Drive transfer case that has a mechanical speedo. My question is, will the following work with the cluster from an LS400. I am using the LS400 Cluster in my 4runner.

Vehicle Speed Sensor, MCI | Marlin Crawler, Inc.

speedsensor_zps21c5ac94.png

I found some info here from clublexus:

"The No.1 speed sensor outputs a 20-pulse signal for every revolution of the rotor shaft, which is rotated by the transmission output shaft via the driven gear. This signal is converted into a 4-pulse waveform by the combination meter, it is then transmitted to the Engine and ECT ECU. The ECU determines the vehicle speed based on the frequency of these pulse signals. In the ECT, this sensor is used as a backup sensor in case of malfunction of the No.2 speed sensor........location-right rear of trans (drivers side in your case)

Read more: http://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ehicle-speed-sensor-issues.html#ixzz2f7uDxzDe"

If I'm reading this correctly, they are saying the sensor outputs 20-pulse signal and then the actual gauge cluster in the car converts it to a 4-pulse. After that happens, it goes to the ECU. If that's correct then I wouldn't think that the marlin sensor would work.

Swap out the speedo's cable drive unit in the T-case for the electronic (MRE) type, they're a direct replacement.
Obviously you'll need the electronic speedo head as well.
The three wires on the sensor's plug are: Ignition 12V
Ground.
Speed Signal.

nsor-road-block-screen-shot-2012-07-28-10.40.14-am.png

That ebay part will work with the SC400/LS400 cluster? If memory serves me right, there are two different speedo sensor on the SC/LS400 vehicles. One that feeds the cluster and the other that feeds directly to the ECU. Assuming this is true, can I simply use the same signal from this one sensor for both inputs?

I appreciate the assistance on this. Sorry for the delayed reply, I thought that I had notification turned on for this thread.

There's actually 3, two on each end of the auto which send inputs to the transmission side of the ECU then the speedo drive on the tail housing which is the one we are talking about here. it provides input to both the speedo and VSS in the ECU without which it won't shift gears properly

Thanks for the info. I think I'll go with the adapter you have pointed out. I know you have done many swaps and I'd rather get it right on the first try between the LS400 cluster and the vss sensor/adapter on the RF1A gear drive toyota truck tcase. I just want to get the swap finished up and not have to "tinker" with every little aspect of it.

What is the pinout of this speedo adapter? I have mine hooked up and it does not work :( I don't get a single register on the speedometer. I have the middle ground and I have had both the outsides 12v+ and Signal at one point because of wiring info I have found online. I am using the stock UZ harness, so I don't see why there should be any issues with the wiring.

I do hope to get to pull the sensor and hook it up to a bench supply and multimeter for further testing, but figured I would ask. I am pulling off S1 connector for the speedo stuff. It should feed the stock cluster and then in turn feed the ECU the info. Nothing right now.

I have somewhat answered the question. The speed sensor adapter that was listed above by samsdad is a 4 pulse sensor. The one that the lexus cluster uses is a 20 pulse. The cluster then processes that 20 pulse sensor down to 4 pulse, which is in turn fed to the ECU.

The question goes back to its origin, what speed sensor to use??? It is looking like the lexus one must be used.