1uz replaces 351 ford cobra in 2750 Bayliner

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

cars noddy

Hi guys,
this is my first entry to the forum after many nights reading almost every other thread on these dam engines.
For 1, i think that i am determined to replace the ford cobra v8 35l with the 1uz.
I think i will be able to save about 100 kg min.
end up with a fuel enjected engine with electronic ignition
oh, and of course, great japanese quad cam tecnology & reliability.
what i want to know first of all is how can i increase the torque down low a little
as i think that i will be a little bit low compared to the 351 windsor, of which by the way has just siezed up rock solid.

The 1uz will be adapted to fit the omc stern drive along with heat exchanger and custom exhaust manifilds. Currentley thinking of using a autronic ecu system which gets rid of all the factory extras that i wont have.
How hard is it to fine the post 98 vvt engines in australia?.
currentley not having much luck.

any advice on wether i should try and keep original ecu etc. would be great as it may be cheaper. heat exchanger cost/contacts would be great

The VVTI 1UZ is available from Ichibahn japanese wreckers in Moorebank, a burb of Sydney. Very pricey though.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want low down torque you are talking supercharging.

Cobra and Quadcamboat both have supercharge engines.

PM them for info but from what I see it is not expensive and the 1UZ will serve you well.

i really didnt want to go that far, i really wanted to keep it simple, cheap and reliable. sounds like the ideal wife?.
If i have a need for more torque later, can i run a super charger on the factory ecu? the other option is to play with the propellor pitch (or should i say diff ratio in car talk)
this motor just gets better and better as today i found out that the 1uz has a nearly all aluminium sump which helps with bilge water and longer term condinsation problems. it also has the starter motor located on top of the engine which also helps with condisation and bilge water and fuel vapours that normally fall down to the bottom of the bilge when present.
I plan to make some 4 to 1 custom manifolds which bend upwards before bending aft and down towards the leg discharge. I plan to lag them with glass wool exhaust blankets in order to keep the water away from leaking back into the engine. i will make a 904l stainless steel water injector just before where the exhuast hose clamps on. by keeping the bilge blower ticking over slowly should also help will fume risks.

Cars,

Check out posts by Jordy's ski boat or quadcamboat as they both have some photos of their respective engines.

There is also a post on cam driven water pumps (I think by Quadcamboat) which may be of interest.

You can supercharge with the standard ECU. Jordy makes a manifold to suit and the Eaton M90 off a Commodore does a good job.

Quadcamboat ran his (supercharged) unit for the first time last weekend. A PM to him wouldn't go astray.

Rollco and WASP marine in N.Z. makes cast watercooled manifolds, or you could make water cooled extractors. I know a guy that makes these. Alternatively, the same guy had some special insulation put on some marine extractors he used. looked like a fiberglass plaster that doctors put on a broken arm. Can touch the outside and not burn yourself - fairly bulky though. Rollco and WASP marine in NZ both make sterndrive bellhousings, jet bellhousings and softclutches also for these engines. My lexus in a 17.5 foot ski boat goes ok, but needs more power to pull 2 skiiers out comfortably - thats why its getting blown.
cheers,
Andrew

andrew,

are the 2 skiers that you tow bare foot or on skis?. i am starting to wonder wether or not the 4.0 litre has enough torque to lift my bayliner onto the plan. the 5.8 does sorry did it with ease (when the thing was going).
i am not after huge amounts of speed at this stage, just a more modern reliable engine on ulp. with out the skiers does your boat go very well, if you put the throttle down reasonably fast does it leap out of the water at all or do you have to weight for the mass to catch up?.

paul

Paul,
Mine is fitted centermount softclutch in a 17.5" Raider MSD hull. First of all my engine has not been tuned properly. I had a map emailed to me which was set up in a car and it went allright, so I have never touched it. There is probably a significant anount of power still hiding in the tuning. I pulles one skiier on single or double skiis fine, but it is a bit sluggish pulling 2 heavy skiiers out at once. It gets onto the plane well with no one behind it. You need to remember you are replacing 5.8 litres with 4. Don't let me talk you out of it, the reason I went for the lexus v8 was that I hate carbies, and points. To get an efi chev was expensive and I wanted the weight saving. If you are a serious skiier, you will want it supercharged. If you are not looking for a lot of speed, you would probably get heaps more grunt out of the hole with a finer prop. Mine is setup to get to barefooting speed and beyond....

no going back now, im as happy as pig in sh##.

just ordering a 1uz vvti. yep, someone from the forum gave me the tip of where there was one. In fact, if it wasnt for this forum, i would still be scratching my head wondering what to do.
the vvti should have easily enough torque and kws.
engine only, so now shopping for after market controls. going to make cutom header etc.
remember that my boat weights 3250kg. heavy hey. stern drive ratio is .63 omc 1990 model. this will have to do for now until later. currentley building 2 units as well.and a 60m motor yacht at work, worlds firt trimaran motor yacht.

I will post pics and results as they happen later. stay tuned.

Many thanks

Paul

Our Epics are in the neighboorhood of 1800 kg and propped to get to 69 km/hr at around 6,000 rpm. 1.26:1 gearbox and a 13" x 13" prop. Toyota's spec for my engine is 300 HP and 315 ft/lbs, with the redline mentioned above.

To give you an idea what this VVT-i setup will do for you: last Friday I had an additional 1315 kgs in the 1800 kg boat to make the wake HUGE. Don't get me wrong, we were barely getting on plane, but for that much prop, she was doin good (and the wake was making me think of blowing out my knees on the way down).

You're talking of pushing a lot of weight. Don't prop it for 50 mph or she'll never get up on plane.

You're probably going to be in my same boat - little cricket in your head saying "wouldn't it really be nice to have that supercharger on it?", at the same time, knowing you're getting amazing gas mileage and good performance.

thanks for the info. good to hear of somthing that is close to what i am doing.

your right, i think it wil do the job, but i think i have thirst for more power. we will see how i go. ill definatley have a full report later.
what ecu do the epics run,and do they run a marine alternator?
i am worried the sandard one wont last with the bilge moisture.

Paul

It's a toyota ECU (don't know much about it beyond that). The alternator's a marinized Denso and is a GREAT unit: mine's bench tensted up to 90 amps. I would not even consider running electrical equipment that's not marinized (spark proof) just for safety's sake. I did look into replacing it at one time cuz I though it was bad (hence the bench test) and there's a ton of marine alternator places that would do one up for you. Here's a picture of my alternator and some other goodies:

http://www.cyclone-cj.com/forum/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=257

bayliner update

ok guys,
i now have the heat exchanger, marine alternator is coming from the us ($325us) along with an epic engine cover($165us).
microtec ecu has arived and i am sorting out the engine loom to get rid of the un wanted stuff.
remote mounting oil filter and have purchased a oil cooler.
getting a price on stainless steel epic marine exhaust from the us. dollar convert is good at the moment and the contact there has a heap of original epic parts he is clearing out. i was told the epic marine starter is the same as the car starter which saves me 359$ us.
planning to run the vvti from a switch from the dash, we will see how it goes, no body here knows much about them so it will be trial and era.

how are all the local 1uz boats going, any super charger reports to come in?
Paul

Okay, now you've got me: "the contact there has a heap of original epic parts he is clearing out". Need to know more of what you're talking. Which dealership is this guy from? Could you share his contact info with us? If it's Atlanta Marine, we Epic owners would REALLY like to know if he's trying to dump his stock (he might actually be THE Toyota warehouse.)

balance stock

Ok here is how it is.
I didnt mean to sound as if he is dumping all his stock, he just said that he has a lot of stuff he wanted to get rid off. Stuff being the kind of stuff that that people dont mormally require such as plastic engine covers etc.
Apparentley this guy has the bulk of the remaining Epic spares, posibily the only spares. He also said that the bullet proof design meant that spare parts have rarely called upon. He only does the Epic spare parts work as a part time, once a fortnight type of thing. I cannot buy directly through him, i am going through a dealer of which i will publish next week. I cannot remember the name, but its in Wasington. He is sending me a parts calalogue & manual for the epics.
He said to sort out what i need as a whole package as then he can do a better price. He doesnt want too many head aches with dribs and drab orders. i think all the parts are in shipping containers or somthing.
He did say that the more commonoly used parts will still be available for some time. What they are, I dont know.
Over here, a marine epic alternator is available for $2300 AU.
I can buy it there for $335US. And still get the st/s exhaust manifolds of which are meant to be great quality?. Can you guys tell me what the electric full pumps are like?

I cant wait to see the manual and parts lits/descriptions etc.
I will post contacts next week.

Paul

THANKS!!! for the feedback.

I would have never guessed that there are parts in Washington. Atlanta, yes, Washa, no.

Just so happens I need a new plastic engine cover. Did you really mean to say that the alternator is the same as an automotive design? I thought it would've been marinized. The alt you're getting is an awesome 90 amp unit, but I know the Sequoia's good for like 180 amps.

Thanks for the head's up - we're a really small community and are not currently connected with any real insider info. We don't know if there's one set of Toyota Marine manifolds or if there are 1,322 sets. The thought of ANY spares being dumped makes me cringe, cuz in my book, it's all precious, down to the last seat cushion.

Assuming you've ordered the VT300i manual (engine), you'll have some good reading soon.

No, alternator is definatley marinized, only the starter is automotive.
Quadcam, he says that i be getting drawings and sizes of the manifolds of which ill post on the forum. it just may take 2 weeks before i can do all this.
Can anybody tell me where the air temp sensor is located on the vvti version, and what the vacuum line is ontop of the engine next to the diognostic cover is.

Plastic engine covers are $167us for v-drive and about 200 for direct drive.
I will put price list on the forum too.

paul