1uz into mx73 cressida

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

BoxyShazam

Hi everybody! I'm about to start a 1uz swap into my 88 mx73. Already pulled the 7m out of it. Bought a full ls400 for $300 and pulled its 1uz. All my parts are ordered and on their way.
Going to be using the 1uzfeswapkit.com kit to connect it to my w58. Xcessive Manufacturing poly mounts and 1uz brackets. Also ordered an act clutch kit.
Here's some pics of not much progress as i wait for parts.
IMAG0086-1.jpg
IMAG0094.jpg
IMG_20120407_214216.jpg

A minor update. 1uzfeswapkit w58 kit showed up. After installing some stuff out of order, I finally figured it out. First time using thread lock on a project. im trying to do everything right the first time.
Drill holes in bellhousing
IMAG0115.jpg
Bolt on adapter
IMAG0116.jpg
Put everything together
IMG_20120425_220305.jpg
Also the mounts showed up and got me very excited lol
IMAG0113.jpg
Clutch shows up today. Hopefully make some more progress in the next couple days

Man I didn't think anyone here cared haha.
Here's a pic of the act clutch bolted on
IMG_20120426_190943.jpg
Tranny bolted up
IMAG0125.jpg
Front of engine torn down. Replaced water pump and timing belt.
IMAG0130.jpg
Xcessive mounts bolted in and being baller
IMAG0168.jpg
Engine in but askew. Hitting the brake booster.
IMG_20120603_122730.jpg
taking the car to my buddy to finish up this weekend. Here's how It's sitting now.
IMAG0184.jpg

Wow I'm very happy to have a car people are interested in :)
Plans are to get it running on stock electronics for now, make the ls400 gauge cluster work in the cressida, and have fully functioning ac and power steering. So excited for this 1uz. Everything I read about them makes them sound amazing

Hey man great work! Im doing the exact same thing as you are. Did you have to get the w58 adapter plate? and i heard that some people had issues with the steering knuckle, did you have this issue? also how did u hook up the ac. and is it hard to put that dash in from the ls400 into the mx73? also what steps did you take as far as the flywheel and clutch install. some people say that there needs to be a .020" stepped machining of the flywheel or else it wouldnt last, is this true?
Im about to start this project in two weeks, I want to make sure i got everything i need and be prepared. thanks man. keep up the updates

first, the steering rack has to be moved over 3" or you have to have custome headers, or modify the stock manifold.
second, ac is super easy too hook up, the lines and everything are in the same place on the 1uz and bolt right up. Some vehicles you might have to swap the top plate on the compressor.
3rd ls400 dash or cluster? the dash would be a total failure, but hookinh up the guage cluster actually comes out fairly clean, but it's a lot of wiring.

4th, yes the flywheels have to have a .020 step, but that's normal and how they come. If it does not have a step you have the wrong flywheel. the mod to make them work is much more involved lol

Yeah listen to and buy all your parts from this guy^
I am not doing the work now. Took it to a buddy who is much more skilled haha. He modified the stock header. Still looking for the tophat to make the ac work. The powersteering line just hooked right up. I got a one piece drive shaft made since my engine sits a little forward. You'll need to smash in the brake booster or find a smaller one. Maybe it'll slip passed it if you use the stock squishy mounts. The gauge cluster is a similar shape so I think it fits well. Some trimming needs to be done.
I'd recommend upgrading your suspension when you do the swap

The engine looks so sweet. Using Isis s13 fans and shroud with custom brackets
IMAG0226.jpg
T3 RCAs and weld on coilovers with 550lb springs. Mr2 agx struts in shortened strut tubes.
IMG_20120716_073224.jpg
Some cheap camaro Monroe shocks in the back with 450lb 9.5" springs
IMAG0228.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds like excessive's mounts are a little too far back. Boster clearance has never been an issue on any of the x chasis cars. it's only been a supra issue. But, if you do need a slimmer booster try the 1990 toyota truck booster. It's what I use to clear the valve covers on ther supra.

Well its a bit late now as I've already had a custom shaft made. I'll get better hd pics of where everything sits when I get the car back. Shifter still pops up where it should so it cant be too far off. Good to know about the booster for future projects though

yes i mean the guages the cluster the thing that displays the speed and temp. if anyone has done it or if anyone knows where i ccan find this information please let me know. Thanks!

Well it runs great but is throwing 3 codes. 2 o2 sensor codes and a knock sensor code. Knock sensor is completely snapped in half so that was to be expected. The o2 codes are being thrown because I've only got 2 of the 4 o2 sensors hooked up. Are any of these a big deal? As in do they pull timing or anything? If not im fine with dealing with a light on the dash. Videos to come

you can actually install a capacitor with a resistor, (don't remember the specs) or you can just leave the 02's just hanging out in the open. (tied up though).