1uz in to 2nd gen surf

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

dannyboy77

hi all

have been reading all the articles and have to say very informative but still looking for the nitty gritty answers if they are out there. i have a 2nd gen surf auto and thinking of getting a LS400 auto transmission complete so have all the bits. the answers to the questions i am trying to find are

do i need a body lift to fit the engine in and clear the sump of the top of the front diff and make the exhaust manifold fit?

i have an auto and looking at the some write ups is it possible to take the torque convertor and bell housing from the V8 and bolt on to the gear box of the surf? if so i think i need to run the ECU from the surf to work the gear box and the ECU of the lexus to run everything else.

if im talking #@#] please tell me

thanks for your repsonses!

dan!

Dan, cant be 100% sure until next week when we wire mine up, but the info that I have gathered so far seems to point thta way. Mine is a 1993 V6 with a a343h trans. We took the bellhousingand torque converter off the lexus box and they went straight onto the A343. MV automatics in aussie seemed to think that if we gave the surf computer the TPS signal, coolant temp, RPM and roadspeed it would shift normally. So far the conversion has gone well, taken me three weeks from start to now. Have a look at it on youtube if you are interested..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzsQfHLfGIg

hahaha the tps signal is bloody hard to replicate
i know on a 2.4 diesel surf its not a linear .5 to 4 volts
im not sure on a v6 but i guess if the wiring to the auto ecu is the same u might have the same prob
he is a tip migh tbe bit late for that now

measure the signal on the tps wire in the auto ecu before u pull anything apart

i tried for a whole day trying to send correct signal to the auto ecu with no luck
i wired up an external tps and manually adjusted it with no luck
with coolant temp i dont knwo why u woul dneed it but if u do connect it
u need an extra sensor
u cant run 2 ecus off one collant temp sender
rpm might be a prob too
u have 6 cyl rpm signal now u have a 4 cyl so u need to convert it
road speed is prob the easiest
anyway see how u go

hi since i wrote the thread i have seen that getting the surf ECU to change gear is a bugger and it seems the best way is to run the a341e auto box from the lexus so the lexus ECU runs the engine and gear box so shouldnt have too much problems with changing gear etc. im just wondering how well?? it fits to the transfer case on the 2nd gen surf?

do go by just what i write
ive only done 4 auto surfs

ask around see if anyone has gotten a surf auto to work
bound to be afew surf autos out there
i just havent had enough time or money care about to finding an easy cure
ask others out there who think its not that hard

My auto works in my 2nd gen 88 truck 4x4. I'm using the A30-41LE from the sc400 and swaped the output shaft from a A30-80 4cyl 4x4 with a VF2A transfer case. Now i couldn't get the VF2A transfer case to work at all so I just used the forward transfer case housing and used Inchworm gear adapter to bolt my 21 spline toy gear driven transfer case up.

To get the 4 pulse signal the computer needs I used marlin crawlers 4 pulse VSS that screws on the mechanical speedo output ( I use a GPS to tell how fast I am going since it is more accurate). The transmission shifts just fine this way. If you have anymore questions let me know.

hahaha the tps signal is bloody hard to replicate
i know on a 2.4 diesel surf its not a linear .5 to 4 volts
im not sure on a v6 but i guess if the wiring to the auto ecu is the same u might have the same prob
he is a tip migh tbe bit late for that now

measure the signal on the tps wire in the auto ecu before u pull anything apart

i tried for a whole day trying to send correct signal to the auto ecu with no luck
i wired up an external tps and manually adjusted it with no luck
with coolant temp i dont knwo why u woul dneed it but if u do connect it
u need an extra sensor
u cant run 2 ecus off one collant temp sender
rpm might be a prob too
u have 6 cyl rpm signal now u have a 4 cyl so u need to convert it
road speed is prob the easiest
anyway see how u go

Mine doesnt have a seperate ECU for the trans, it is all run off the same computer. Shame to hear that the TPS isnt linear on the diesels, I hope it is on the petrols! Engine has been sold, so cant try it unfortunately.

Good point about the coolant temp, I assume you cant use it to two computers as it is a resistance based sensor???

Any advice on how to convert the 6 cyl siganl to a four cylinder one?

To get the 4 pulse signal the computer needs I used marlin crawlers 4 pulse VSS that screws on the mechanical speedo output ( I use a GPS to tell how fast I am going since it is more accurate). The transmission shifts just fine this way. If you have anymore questions let me know.

Do you know if you can buy these to suit the a343h trans? It has an electronic speedo only

opps i meant to say dont go purely by what i write

surf transfer already has an electric speedo sensor
this sends a signal to the speedo
which u need to remove from old wiring and refit
this drives the speedo
then there is a signal form speedo to the fctory ecu on both the v6 and the 2.4 deisel so u can reconnec tthis signal to the 1uz so it changes gears
u should also refit the speedo sensor on back of 1uz gbox
its the 2 wire output shaft sensor as this is the proper signal for the ecu to change gears the one from back of spedo is the backup

i know of 5 different types of speedo sensors out there to suit most jap cars
but u need a speedo drive that sits in the trnasfer that suits a cable as most these aftermarket speedo sensors are screw on
now these are very very hard to find
and most toyotas have a one piece speedo sensor anyway

i cant remember if the v6 petrol ecus do the auto aswell
easy way to tell is to check under radio or in right hand kick panel for an auto or 4wd ecu

anyway the electric transfer aint that hard to get working cause it sjust like a late model one and i have wired many very late model 1hds and the 5 sped autos and transfers

i sell signal pulse mutliplier/dividers they are bit more expensive than the jaycar speedo correction units but these are much more technical

if anyone asks me which way to go i say use the auto that comes with new engine cause if u look at the hwole job this way is less problems

OK, heres where I have got to. The motor and box are all back in the hole, all plumbed up engine is running (very smoothly too I might add!) We have used the A343h box that came with the surf V6. We spoke to Michael at MV automatics in aussie, he told us to take the signal from the TPS, and give it to the surf computer. Also we needed to fit a secondary coolant temp sensor and give that info to the V6 computer. We have also given the RPM to it as well. Before we did all this, it would only shift from 1st to 2nd. Now it picks up third as well, but has no overdrive into top. Does anyone have any ideas what we might have missed?

We are wondering if the computer doesnt "recognise" the type of siganl it is recieving from the TPS and temp sensor, so this is causing it to malfunction. Anyone got any thoughts on this?

not to be rude but mvs know jack **** bout electricals when i to comes to conversions just like yr everyday auto elects

tp signal from the engine ecu is very hard to replicate
its not a rising voltage another thing is old autos used to not select
overdrive until a certain temp was reached
i cant remmeber if ther eis a temp sensor wire in the auto ecu id have to look in my diags when i get the time
but remember this is for a 2.4 desiel 2lt so maybe the v6 is the same
never really bothered about surfs as i know how shiiiiititttt they are to do

i have wired up 5 1uzs with surf gbox and every single time it will not kick down gears so i always tell people that they should use 1uz auto
this has been expressed on here for the past 2 years so i guess u should have done more research
speak to gloverman on here he seems to be best guy in nz for 1uzs
otherwise ship yr car over and i can maybe do something hehehehehe

anyway only advice i can say is
over drive is thru the switch so maybe u have another problem but
u have to realise diagnosing stuff someone else has wired is very hard
i guess u just have to pay them more to actaully diagnose the problem

overdrive is not speed related

can the auto kick down gears when u accelerate if not then u r stuffed
the easiest way is fork out more money and put the matching 1uz auto

when i got first stuck with thios prob i went thru all wires on the auto ecu and still could not fix it
if i had a std surf i could work it out but then to replicate it will be very hard
if its what i think it is

opps i didnt read previos post where u said u r running v6 engine and auto ecu all in one

i guess yrs should be kicking down gears then
only prob but should not be too bad is the rpm signal
what rpm signal have u run is it the crank signal g1 or g2 or ne
as the actual tacho rpm does not goto the engine ecu
the tps should be linear as an all in one ecu reads direct from the throttle
where as the seperate ecus the tps output from engine to auto ecus is weird
speed signal doesnt matter as if it doesnt change up gears it means the sped signal is gone but since u can get 1st 2nd and 3rd i pressume u have speed signal
so only thing left is temp switch purely for overdrive
or it could also work off the coolant temp sender but u cant just bridge off the 1uz coolant temp sender as if u bridge it it then halves the signal to both ecus

anyway like i always say getting engine to run good is 10% of the job
the other 90% is getting the rest of the **** to work and it takes years to learn how it all works

We are getting there very well so far. Anodyne who has been doing my wiring must take all the credit here as he is bloody patient and very meticulous with his wiring! We have got the engine now running so well you can literally balance a $2 coin on the inlet manifold! Trans has got us a bit stumped though. We now think it is stuck in low reduction for some reason, even though it only spins the rear wheels. It has suddenly become EXTREMELY low geared, and I cannot beleive it is because we have changed the engine. I think it may be electronically controlled to the transfer case, so will throw it up on the hoist tomorrow to have a look at it. Can anyone advise on what to look for here?

May end up ditching the A343 trans as sideshow has mentioned. If we do, I need to do the adaption on the back of the lexus trans to run tthe transfer case. Can anyone show me a link for how to do this? I have heard that there are some on the web, just not sure where.

$2 hehehehe
thats bout $1.50 over here

do u know how the transfer works
if its electric u still need to get it to work regardless of what auto u run

the only reason i would go a lexus auto is if u cannot slect gears like 1st 2nd 3rd and overdrive the electric transfer is a totally different section u need to look at

does the motro on transfer have 2 think wires and 2 thin wires
and u have 2 switches on the back and side of transfer

one brings on the 4wd light in the dash
the other tells the 4wd ecu that u have sleected 4wd on the transfer gear lever

so rememebr there is 2 ways to select 4wd

one on the trnasfer gear lever and the other is the button on the park rev neut gear lever

ive had 2 motors get very hot due to wrong wiring
this happens when u chop and chnage stuff

some people just buy a manual transfer and fit it
rather than stuff round getting electric to work

ive seen info on ways to trigger 4wd with 6 relays so maybe try find that

Yeah, but our two dollar coins are bigger than yours!:laughing:
Two dollar being smaller than a one dollar! Whats with that???

I will see what is happening tomorrow. I struggle to understand how I can be in low reduction, but only 2WD. I know its only 2wd as I did a bit of a skid in it this morning, and only the back wheels were turning. Admittadly, havent jacked it up yet to check for sure! Will let you know progress tomorrow.

ive had afew motors burn out cause the overide switch wasnt right
so motor spins to slide gear to go from 2wd to 4wd and it keeps trying to select 4wd even though its selected
eventually the motor windings get hot and burn out

double check the std 4wd wiring is still there

as the surfs ive done with the std surf auto have kickdown probs but they
all seelct 4wd and 2wd ok

u need to keep all the 4wd wiring like std with the 4wd ecu

the enigne ecu doesnt do the 4wd part of it

Ist drive today on the motorway! WAS in low reduction, hence why it wasnt driving properly. Took it out, put it in 2WD high and yep, were away! Picks upall three gears, plus overdrive nicely. Had it up to about 135-140 on the motorway with no real effort at all. Very stoked with it, only have to fix a small exhaust leak at the flange and a small oil leak at the sump plug, plus stick another muffler into it (its too loud. I must be too old!) and then it will be a really nice daily driver.I will drop the front torsion bars as well, when we did the swap we found that the V8 is heavier than the V6, go figure. Other than that, it drives like the factory intended it to.