1uz head seal vs 2uz iron block strength @ 30+PSI

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
...torque curve does look like a typical stock 1UZ curve, only "slightly boosted"...hahaha...but i always thought the stock intake wouldn't flow enough to make this kind of power increase possible, just by having better cams.
So basically you are saying (and showing) that 272/272 cams can add about 300hp (assuming 550hp is a acceptable limit for stock intake + stock cams)...and offcourse putting about 2bar through that stock intake :icon16:

Any videos?

Doesn't surprise me Fasteddie....all my dyno plots at step boost increases are pretty much the same shape..just "boosted" as you describe it :)

The intake manifold tuning (runner length, ID etc) is what's giving the shape and limiting high rpm hp. Re-tuning the intake, with short runners, enables you to shift peak hp to a higher rpm and should unlock a heap of hp....with no boost increase required.

Mine should be finished soon but it's still built to a budget rather than ideally optimised.

Hypertune (?) here in Oz are developing a manifold for the UZ which based on their other work (GAS 2JZ etc) should be an awesome performer and somthing i will no doubt move to in time :)

Good numbers though even so

Back to the original question of this thread about head gasket sealing:

I found this interview at Corvette Action Center about developing the 638hp supercharged LS9 engine. Interesting detail about how with computer simulation you can actually "watch" what is going on and see the head and gasket move and flex "virtually". Also of note is the 5 microns flex per layer of MLS gasket technology.

CAC is Corvette Action Center
SW is Sam Winegarden

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/specs/c6/2009/zr1/sam_winegarden2.html

CAC: So the third challenge was?

SW: We took a couple of iterations to get the head gasket sealing right. With the combustion pressure we run on this thing to hit that 620+ number, we had to do a couple spins on the head gasket design and that's one reason why you see the 12 mm bolts.

CAC: A few motors gave up the ghost on the dyno, huh.

SW: Actually, no, however, we burned up an awful lot of computer time.

CAC: I guess I should have said, "the virtual dyno".

SW: Yes. A lot of computer time.

CAC: When you do these simulations, do they have, like...a graphic of the engine running?

SW: (laughs) You won't actually see coolant spew out from the head gasket. What you do see, though, is the model run though the thermal test. You can actually watch the cylinder head lift-see it, as it moves and you can watch what's going on as you go through the cycles. When you see that, you go, "Now, I understand why I need an extra layer in the head gasket."

SW: There are five microns of lift per layer of gasket. We ended up with enough lift at these combustion pressures that we had to go to the bigger bolts and put an extra layer in that MLS head gasket in order to keep the thing together.

Now, that analysis, because it is so complex, takes several days on the computer because the finite element is so detailed and the model so complex.

SW: We did 12-mm bolts and a four-layer (four active layers, seven layers total) gasket for this one and it's run just fine.

I was going to re-tap to 11mm when I rebuilt my engine to avoid enlarging the holes in the gaskets and all hassle that goes with it.

Anyone know how many layers my standard gasket is (late model vvti) and how many layers the Cometic gasket has?

I don't remember exactly, but I think the Cometic gaskets that I'm using have 5 layers. I use the thickest ones that they have for the 1UZ. So I think that depends on the thickness.

He hasn't been back on the forum since last year, but we correspond on a semi-regular basis :).

In late January he was doing some tuning on the dyno but as of then, hadn't turned the boost up too high as they were working out some snags.

Here's his current engine bay with a new billet, short runner intake.

Attachments

• M3Turbo.JPG
    M3Turbo.JPG
    175.9 KB · Views: 44
...am I right in seeing that M3Turbo produced 800+ hp and 1100NM with the STOCK intake but with UPGRADED cams ?
That would mean that 1st on the list might be cams, instead of intake....right ?

Last edited by a moderator:
That's our crash from August/September last year continuing to haunt us. The mods try to edit the pics out, but it's happening more & more frequently.

I think what's happening is that, for example, these pics were indexed to post XYZ, however once the forum got rebuilt, post XYZ became post ABC under the new software, but the pics don't know that. So when the post count reaches XYZ again, the pics appear in that post.

I noticed this when my old shortcuts for my project threads no longer worked.

^...any updates ?

Attachments

• P010709_14.28.JPG
    P010709_14.28.JPG
    125.4 KB · Views: 20
  • P010709_14.28[01].JPG
    P010709_14.28[01].JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 16
  • P010709_14.28[02].JPG
    P010709_14.28[02].JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 12
  • P010709_14.29.JPG