1UZ Firing Order

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

techo

Has anyone realised the firing order of the mighty engine we all worship is the same as the famed Chevrolet. With that in mind has anyone looked at the benefits of the cam change called a 4-7 swap. After looking at the firing order in relation to the crankshaft i believe that the firing order of the 4-7 swap would result in a smoother running engine? So while spending $1500AUD on cams why not get what i believe might be a better firing order for the ultimate engine of the century.

Good idea, but you'd need someone to make cam blanks to suit the new firing order.

After some years 1UZ cam blanks are available and cams are being produced as we type.

Don't you think that if swapping 4 and 7 did anything, that Toyota would have done it?

This motor is already one of the smoothest you will drive.

Leave it the way Toyota intended.

Why leave it alone

If we leave things alone then why are we all trying to build the better 6 Bolt engine? The fabelled Small Block Chev would have ended up being a generator motor if we did leave it alone!

The only way I could see you doing the experiment would be to have lobes welded up on a cam (and the heels ground off) to allow you to get the grind you want.

It's taken years to get standard cams I'd expect some of us may be dead before the swap cams came on the market.

I think if cams are starting to become available then, if possible cams for a different firing order will become ...attainable, and desirable. Pro Stock cars have been doing this for a few years now, they see approx 8-10 hp, plus fuel distribution problems become less of a problem. anything is worth doing if the cylinders benifit is a more even power distribution, it allows for more power in cylinders that were dutuned so others could run rich/lean

I don't think anyone is against the idea. In fact I think most of us are all for it.

I think we'd all like to see you fund the experiment so we can follow if it works as well as expected.

what would be the new firing order and what are the benifits.

if i was going to that trouble i would not copy chevy i would copy farrari i would go the next step and make a flat plane crank. that would sound nice

I won't be doing anything soon!

But when the time comes for new cams I will be trying this thats for sure.
For N/A cars with individual throttle bodys there probably isn't as much of a gain but for anyone using a common inlet manifold, turbo or supercharged it would help.

I guess the question is how much would it help.

400ZED,

I wonder if a flat plane crank induces all the problems Ferraris suffer from. As a Ferrari owner (1996 355 Spider) I can assure you my 1UZ starts every time first time unlike the red devil. It's worse than a contrary women.

The last owner had an injector stick open. Drove on and glazed a cylinder. $35,000 later it was running again.

Anyone want a used Ferrari.

New camshaft firinf order

Well i am going to be talking to a few of the cam companies and see what is available in the way of the cam blanks and if it is possible. The new firing order is 1-8-7-2-6-5-4-3. It also evens out the firing pulses on the crank shaft and i believe is will smooth the harmonics out on the crankshaft also. i am going to be buying new cams anyway for the salt lake race car i am in the middle os planning, i actually have room for two 1UZ motors in this car! Does that mean i have a 2UZ by default?

the 4-7 swap is good for carbies it is for fuel mix but on individual injection ther is no benifite. that is the words i heard on the weekend.
I do not believe that anyone will make you cast cams but billet ones are an option at over $2000 and not as good as cast ones. ther is just not the meat on the casting for a different firring order.

the flat plan has vibrations a a different order of resinance to a normal crank and there for i think vibrates more at low revs but less at high revs.(try and get a more scientific explanation later)

listen to a JUDD v8 and you will understand why i want a flat plane. it also make changes pulsing of exhaust and provides better exhaust flow.
basically they are built to rev.