1UZ-FE Pros and Cons

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
the push-rod/rocker assembly can't handle more RPM safely. The problem is not that it wears, it breaks.

that's why you never see push-rod engines goes more than 10 000RPM.

R/C engine is different than a normal engine. every part is very very small. a long push-rod will be afflicted with more stress, same for the rocker arm.

Hey

My brother in law build an OSmax RC airplane engine (yes you even can get tuning parts for those) that thing spun 36Krpm+ on the doppler counter so not much error in the measurment. (talking about noise)

anyway, seems the dicusion is going more to LS1 vs 1uz (again)

Pro: I'ts better desinged and build in EVERY aspect

con: it lacks 1700cc's and it's overall hight is MUCH higher than the LS1

and YES a pushrod over 9krpm won't last long, you shouldn't compare these two anyway, to different in nature.

grtz Thomas

If all you care about is power for the dollar than get a big pushrod v8, really.
There are a bunch of other reasons I'd much rather use a 1uz.

The power band of the 4.0L 32V engine is nice and smooth, not just a big torque hump in low rpms.
Reliability is a tricky issue. Part of it comes from engine design, the rest from the precision that it's built with. Toyota was excellent in both areas.
Power handling and longevity are two different areas of reliability as well. You can build almost any motor with aftermarket parts and have it handle a lot of power but the 1uz was made to last.
I think part of the reason the 1uz lasts a long time is that it works efficiently, to minimize engine wear. It can do all the work it needs to for normal driving while maintaining relatively low piston speeds thanks to a well-flowing head and small stroke. Efficiency also means good gas mileage, of course.

And now are the advantages of a 1uz over newer engines:
1: Availability/Cost - The engine is at an age where they are fairly easy to find and easy to get parts for.
2: Complexity - Newer engines that have complex variable valve control and stuff like direct injection do not lend themselves to modding.
3: Community/Aftermarket - lextreme.com (all I need to say)

There's one last reason that I bought a 1uz to put in my car:
I've got an MKIII Supra, so it just makes sense. :)

My brother in law build an OSmax RC airplane engine (yes you even can get tuning parts for those) that thing spun 36Krpm+ on the doppler counter so not much error in the measurment. (talking about noise)
I've got money says that's unloaded & unloaded don't mean much. It's like spinning an engine at 8000rpm on a dyno. There's not a load on it.

36,000 says the piston went up and down the bore 600 times per second.

Regardless of stroke length that means it stopped at top and bottom dead centre 1200 times per second.

I my book that's an awful lot of stopping and starting in just 1 second.

Hey zuffen and toysrme, exactly what I thought when i saw it going, but I've never had issues with the doppler rpm counter. ie it never lied before we hadn't the correct stuff to do another measurment to confirm 100%, but I believe it's very close. indeed it was unloaded on the testbed, but Arjen had to try the max rpm to calculate the maximum pitch for the proppelor.

anyway the airplane did win it's event (high speed contest in the 2.5cc class) and was more or less dead on arival. so a well build race engine.

grtz Thomas

I really don't know what you guys are talking about and I probably shouldn't be posting....However, I am a little bored and got something to say.... Are you guys talking about 1uz-fe power prop planes?...If so I would say that is a good choice of engine if you could muster up the power to drive the prop... I thought you would need more the 250bhp to power up a plane...Hmmmm? Maybe not....

With that being said, the 1uz-fe motor would be an extremely reliable engine to use in flight...Can't think of a motor that would be more reliable...In flight reliability is most important no?.. Don't want to freeze up a motor in mid flight and then not have the ability to land under no prop power... Ouch.......

I am babling uncontrolably and will now sign off.. Cheers my fellow mates!!!

Stay off topic if you want I don't care I do it all the time.. Just let me know what's hells going on....I am lost and confused, but then again what else is new.... :tongue2: :alcoholic:

Sorry I am late to this discussion but I was in this situation of deciding what I wanted to drop into my 88 RX7 body. Well EVERYONE and their mother puts in domestic V8s in rx7s these days, I personally wanted something a bit different a bit more cost effective. this led me to the cadillac Northstar engine, then the Toyota 1UZ.

my main goal was to get an engine that was the cheapest yet most cost effective as well. I made some price comparison charts of the engine choices and the 1uz won out with its light wieght, Dirt cheap Price, and great durability.

Now I was not too concerned with the power output because the RX7 originally had 183hp and 182tq, even with that power it was great fun to drive. So even a stock 1UZ with 260hp at the crank will be plenty of fun.

I am somewhat new to the 1UZ engines only having owned the V8 for little over a year now, I was use to cadillac engines. Which look strangely similar to the toyota engine (except the heads). Someone brought up the statement of some engines of that time did not put out much horespower for the time and the 1UZ was at great output for the day. Well the cadillac northstar was introduced 5 years later then the 1UZ and had more output (300hp @6000rpm) compared to the toyota engine of the same year (1994). I just think toyota was looking for dead reliability in these engines, because if it wasnt for the success of their engine I really think Lexus would not be as strong as it is today.

I am rambling here, but through my decision making I believe the 1UZ is the best engine for the price if you are looking for the best reliability.

$500 for a 1994 sc400 engine? thats whats up.

I remember hearing all this hoopla about how the 1UZ-FE is the best motor Toyota ever made. Maybe in terms of longevity? As far as I know, my 243k mile '96 LS400 doesn't consume oil or put out blue smoke. However... I think the 2JZ-GTE is a better engine. It can support a lot more power.

I remember hearing all this hoopla about how the 1UZ-FE is the best motor Toyota ever made. Maybe in terms of longevity? As far as I know, my 243k mile '96 LS400 doesn't consume oil or put out blue smoke. However... I think the 2JZ-GTE is a better engine. It can support a lot more power.
Do u like to compare apples with oranges and say one is better? Or you just like talking and rambling just to assure yourself that you know whats going on..:squint:

The 2JZ-GTE head design is far superior to the 1UZ's for making power, and it's a DOHC engine too, just like the 1UZ. For that matter, every Toyota engine made since the mid-sixties has been a DOHC, also called a TwinCam design. That's one of the hallmarks of a Toyota engine: Toyota = Twincam. http://www.toysport.com/Technical%20Information/toyota_twin_cam_article.htm

Here's a link giving more comparisons between the FE heads, which were designed for torque & smoothness and the G heads which were designed for performance.

http://www.toysport.com/Technical Information/FE Engines.htm

Without a doubt the 2JZ-GTE is the finest six cylinder engine Toyota ever made for high performance.

The FE motors with their narrow valve angles are designed for low end torque and smoothness. Getting their heads to flow well and the engines to perform well is a real challenge compared to the 2JZ-GTE. Pity there's not a "G" head for the UZ family.....

The 2JZ-GTE is not a better motor then the 1UZ-FE... Sorry pal.... Torque alone doesn't compare or longevity and the smoothe operations of the dual overhead cam design...
The 2JZ-GTE can support 1000hp with stock internals. It's been up to 1900 crank HP successfully with internal modifications. Last I checked, the 1UZ-FE can't take more than 550hp-ish stock. That also entails VERY cost-ineffective and labor-intensive aftermarket turbocharging efforts, whereas the 2JZ-GTE is an easily established platform. Moreover, the inline six IN PRINCIPLE is smoother than a V-8 engine, and I can attest to that personally. And as was stated, the 2JZ-GTE is a dual-cam design too. In fact, I'd much rather have a 7M-GTE in my car than a 1UZ-FE. JMHO.

Do u like to compare apples with oranges and say one is better? Or you just like talking and rambling just to assure yourself that you know whats going on..:squint:
This thread is about 1UZ-FE pros and cons, I was comparing it to another Toyota motor. Do you know what's going on? Do you even know how to change your oil?

This thread is about 1UZ-FE pros and cons, I was comparing it to another Toyota motor. Do you know what's going on? Do you even know how to change your oil?
Oil? Do u use than in a motor?Thought thats is only for smoking..
Yes this thread is about the pros and cons of the 1UZ-FE..
All you have ranted about is with the 2JZ-GTE,as cribbj have put it, a very Fine motor,still 2JZ-GTE..As for having 1900 HP at the crank..yeah right..at what cost..?AnY one can come up with Figures..LOL
The UZ-FE was design for reliability and economy ,Just happened to have some tought internals and a few week points..Pistons being one of them..
This thread is about Pros/Cons Of UZ-Fe..Not how much that you can Spend on Turbos on 2JZ-GTE..getting 1000 HP...hardy Standard..You can spend same amount of Money on 1UZ-fe....then see whats Pros/cons and off course HP/Torque You might get with it(1 Uz-FE)And don;t for get to give it some oil too...
Like I said If u Like to compare Apples with oranges,and coming up with whats better..keep on ranting..

Cribbj and others...Take away the those two little twin turbo's on the 2JZ and the motor is not that much better then the 1uz-fe if at all.. '

If your boosting for huge power then the 2jz-fe motor comes in handy because of it's stoutness, but if you only want 400whp or so the 1uz-fe is the way to go...Why you may ask? Well for starters the 1uz-fe weighs 130 pounds less the 2jz's motors...Torque spec's are a little better on the 1uz-fe's as well...so when considering everything the 1uz-fe is not that far off from the 2jz-fe's in comparison my opinion.. I am also not convinced the 2jz runs smoother then the 1uz-fe's either...

Forged internals seperate the two and a stronger crank but not weight and V8 torque engineering...Oh and we can't forget about the price range differences between the two motors...

Jibby, please get your engine designations correct. There is no such thing as a 2JZ-FE engine. There are 2JZ-GTE, and 2JZ-GE engines, but there are no 2JZ-FE's.

Second, I never mentioned anything about the turbos giving the 2JZ-GTE an advantage. I was speaking about its HEAD design. Did you read that link from Toymods? It's a fact that the narrow valve angle "FE" heads are at a disadvantage to "G" heads for high rpm power. "FE" heads with the narrow valve angles are designed for low rpm torque and smoothness.

Third, the I-6 configuration of the 2JZ is inherently more balanced than the V8. That's just engineering fact, and indisputable.

Fourth, get your facts straight about the forged internals. BOTH motors have forged cranks and powder forged rods. BOTH motors have cast pistons as stock. No differences between them in those areas.