1UZ-FE Pros and Cons

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Still unfair comparisons. You cant campair the Typhone/Syclone or GN engines cause they are FI (turbo). As for the LT5, it was a specialty motor that was only produced for 3yrs. The 90-92 model made 375hp and the 93 model made 405. The 90-92 model = 65.8hp/Liter and the 93 model = 70hp/liter as compaired to the same era UZ which = 62.5hp/liter. The thing to remember here is that the UZ before 98 and VVTi was designed as an economy engine where as the LT5 along with the LS1 is a performance engine and yet they are relitivily close in hp/liter even though they are totally differant in thier designed operating principals (economy vs performance).

It was actualy my love for the LT-5 (which I belive to be one of the best motors ever built. If gm had been able to mass produce them like the LS-1, the LT-5 would be a much more popular motor than the LS-1) that led me to the lexus 1UZFE. I just could not afford to buy a ZR-1, or the parts. The after market & even stock parts are just too much money. 5000$ for a storker crank, 5000$ for 1 new OEM head from GM.

What I don't understand is why if the 1uzfe was built for economy, that the corvettes post much better fuel efficency numbers than I could ever acheive. IE 28-30 MPG fwy but I'm laying off the throttle and only turing 26.5 at my best. The american V8 has more torque, more power, more displacment & better fuel efficency?

Maybe being that the 1uz-fe's have four operating cams opening and closing 32 valves and the GM motors only have two operating cams operating 16 valves...That could be the difference in fuel economy between the two motors......

Also, if you want to get real nasty and cheap you can forget about the more expensive alluminum SBC's and hunt down an older used Chevy 454 Iron block or Ford 460 and rebuild it if needed for performance, install a good intake manifold, big carb and good flowing exhaust and you will make tons of power...That will run maybe $1000-$2500 here in the state tops for a nice final power motor... You will just have to deal with the size, weight and carburator and horrible gas mileage...

Toyota tuning at the time. You can't compare late 80's strategy with OBDII. GM and Ford both have tuning so that when the throttle is held steady, extreme lean condistions are set. It is much easier to keep the car moving than it is to accelerate. Toyota runs pig rich for safety margins.

About displacement for max power...

Dean Skuza said:
We use as much stroke as we are allowed.

They are allowed approximately 500 cubic inches. You don't seen anybody running 400 CID and trying to spin it faster, do you?

To settle the argument 'There is no replacement for displacement' once and for all take a look at the following website.

Think Ultima GTR with 980 ish HP, a well built twin turbo 1UZ, and take a look at the video's on this site.

Low tech pushrod chev V8s, with FI, built as daily driver street motors.
350s (1.5 x 1UZ) producing 1300 to 1500 HP at 5800rpm.
500 cu" (2 x 1UZ) producing 2000plus HP and so mild that mum could drive it to drop the kids at school.

http://www.nelsonracingengines.com/

Not many stock parts left in these engines but the 1UZ had some significant upgrades as well.

HP per litre figures are similar...

Toyota tuning at the time. You can't compare late 80's strategy with OBDII. GM and Ford both have tuning so that when the throttle is held steady, extreme lean condistions are set. It is much easier to keep the car moving than it is to accelerate. Toyota runs pig rich for safety margins.

About displacement for max power...

They are allowed approximately 500 cubic inches. You don't seen anybody running 400 CID and trying to spin it faster, do you?

Well said Nick M!!!! Sounds right on to me...These 1uz-fe's do run pig rich and rev higher.....

To settle the argument 'There is no replacement for displacement' once and for all take a look at the following website.

Think Ultima GTR with 980 ish HP, a well built twin turbo 1UZ, and take a look at the video's on this site.

Low tech pushrod chev V8s, with FI, built as daily driver street motors.
350s (1.5 x 1UZ) producing 1300 to 1500 HP at 5800rpm.
500 cu" (2 x 1UZ) producing 2000plus HP and so mild that mum could drive it to drop the kids at school.

http://www.nelsonracingengines.com/

Not many stock parts left in these engines but the 1UZ had some significant upgrades as well.

HP per litre figures are similar...

Holy mother of god! (sorry if anyone is religiously offended).

If I have ever seen a more convincing arguement for SBC/BBC's then the videos there are it! Check the dyno videos! ANGRY engines!! :hypnotized:

I had a guy on the phone the other day looking to insure his Monaro (Pontiac GTO) and he has invoices for over $59,000.00 Asutralian to build his engine.

He's making almost 600KW out of it.

I could get that from a 1UZ and have plenty of change.

$59,000 would almost buy you another CV8 Monaro. Invoices are dated 2005!

I can scan and post the invoices if anyone is interested. All personal details removed.

Rod, Even here in the USA a clean 68 Pontiac GTO is a muscle car collectors item..Those GTO's are very nice when restored and convertible.... I sure wouldn't mind owning a clean one...I think the $59,000 sticker is justified in the car as well as the motor...

Other muscle classics that are pricey and compare are the 67 Chevy Camaro SS, 65-66 Ford Mustang GT's, and so many others.. Too my suprise even the late sixty model Chevy Nova SS which I use to own is now an expensive collectors item...

Just for kicks I called a few local junk yards and I found I can pick up a older Chevy Caprice with the 454 BBC intact and running for $1000USD with rear end damage... Just to show big power can be obtained for little money if desired...

Jibby,

This is a 2003 GTO.

Built in Australia powered by the LS1 (I think)

This engine brings our build costs into perspective.

Why the insistance on comparing apples to oranges? What is this SF? All else being equal, the bigger pump will do more work. This isn't debatable. I am not suggesting using a carb or pushrods, only that the bigger the engine, the more it will do.

How about that new Tundra engine. Toyota enlarged the engine, and it produces more power than the similar but smaller 4.6.

And why don't professional drag racers, which are the highest horsepower possible engines, use a smaller engine? Answer that, and we can move on.

For an older 4.0 liter V8 motor it is a wonderful engine...Smoothe running dual overhead cam engine that can support more then twice its stock power.... Needless to say they are dirt cheap and plentiful...

I agree with Nick M...It's hard to compare apples to oranges...You have a 4.0 liter V8 motor so if comparing we should compare to a similar sized motor and not 5.7 liter motor or any other larger sized motors......

However, if the 1uz-fe came stock with forged pistons and rods it would have been oh sooooooooo sweat....Last time I checked someone was pushing 1000hp on the 1uz-fe motor with only forged pistons and rods changed out on the motor... That was news to me if it was infact true.....Impressive!!!!!

wants to compare apples with apples?

Compare the 1UZ-FE with the GM 4.0 DOHC 32valves V8 *olds aurora*

Sorry but the 1UZ wins. don't compare a Corvette's engine with the 1UZ. With the 5.7 liter displacement and lightweight, GM can afford to install high end cams, displacement will compensate for low-end torque loss. The 1UZ CAN'T AFFORD THAT BECAUSE IT MOVES A BIG FAT WHALE called LS400.

secondo. The Covertte's fuel millage is good because it has a 6 speed manual transmission that does not suck up tons of Horsepower like the A340. Because the corvette's engine runs about 1100-1200RPM @ 100km/h and because the vette's Cx is very good (yet, the LS400's Cx is also very very good for the car)

Also, in NHRA they don't use 400C.i. engines and spin them fast because you can't rev a pushrod engine more than 10 000RPM. the physical limit of a push-rod engine even with the best parts in the world is 9000-9500RPM. In NHRA they cannot use anything else than push-rod engines.

Pro:
light, decent hp, decent tq. I like them.

CON!!!!!
STARTER MOTOR POSITION!!!! VALLEY DRAINS TO BELLHOUSING!!!! ARGGGGH!!!!!!

What was Mr Okimura thinking!!!

Ask the conversion guys what they think about the starter motor position ???
They love it as there is NO starter hanging off the side or down below to cause problems , makes the engine a cube !!
Personally I think Mr Okimura got that one right , my starter in my LS is just fine after 17 years !!
I'm not going to complain about something that might need changing every 18 odd years .

Ask the conversion guys what they think about the starter motor position ???
They love it as there is NO starter hanging off the side or down below to cause problems , makes the engine a cube !!
Personally I think Mr Okimura got that one right , my starter in my LS is just fine after 17 years !!
I'm not going to complain about something that might need changing every 18 odd years .

yeah - a good point... I spent the weekend wiring up the last bits and peices, starter being one of them.... it was pain in the proverbial!

For what it is worth, I like the 1UZFE engine very much. And projects like cjsupra90's is a great idea.

the physical limit of a push-rod engine even with the best parts in the world is 9000-9500RPM. In NHRA they cannot use anything else than push-rod engines.
Why is that? I'd have figured someone would be able to rev them as fast as they'd want too. Especially in a racecar where they don't have to last very long before a teardown.

There have been people to have 4-stroke glow engine for R/C aircraft spin them to 20-30,000rpm before. One of them is from Australia.
Completely off-topic btw.