1UZ-FE in 1996 Grand Cherokee

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

PM

Hi,
first , great site . get lots of helpful info for my engine swap.
just finished the swap and the engine works. still working at some minor problems .
right now I'm thinking about the gear ratio.

Engine LS400 1992 with original auto-gear mounted. running my GC as a 2WD right now. 99% on road driver.
Tires are 265/70-16

original ratio at my 1996 GC 4.0 is 1:3,73.
Now the GC is too fast for a SUV and to slow from zero and can not drive that fast in Thailand anyway. would prefer more power/torque from low speed.
want to change to 4.11 or 4.56.

any suggestions whats the better one ?

thanks

Heiko
Phuket Thailand

4.11 is what a Patrol runs.

I'd lean toward that as the 4.56 is pretty low.

My suggestion is get a rear 4.11 diff and try it and if it's still to tall try a 4.56.

At least a used diff centre won't be expensive. THey're one item that usually sell cheaply.

Interestingly I chnaged my Range Rover from 3.5:1 to 4.11 when I went to taller tyres (35") and it was just right.

thanks for the info,

as my original already is a 3.73 and I really miss the punch from the start , I thought I jump direct to the 4.56. but will rethink and maybe try the 4.11 first

there is no need for me to have a car that makes 180 or 200 km/h.
lot of stop and go traffic here and some steep mountains routes.

will list tomorrow a short list of my " minor" problems. hopefully will get some solutions here.

here's a pic of my GC

cheers
Heiko
U6137-1235282000.jpg

Ok here are a list of my problems.

Gear ratio probably to long - working on it. will go for the 4.11

car runs on idle ( P/N ) perfect. revs on P/N up to the limiter without problem. sound smooth an strong.
putting in gear and start driving, hit the pedal and it starts choking. feels like not get enough fuel or pull a plug for a split second.
handle the gas-pedal careful and slow it works.

tochometer ( orig. jeep 6 cyl. ) starts working 900rpm and up . less than 900 goes to 0 or flickers 0-800. above 4500 jumps from 4000 -6000 and back. at the same time my Voltage meter jumps from 14V back to 10 for a second when rev. up from idle to 1200.

my original jeep on board computer states " transmission overtemp." even when engine is cold.

cheers
Heiko