1uz-fe, are you happy?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Happy with my set up, std engine, ported Richwood manifold, 440cc supra injectors, Harrop TVS supercharger, Water meth injection, Adaptronic ecu.

Engine basically free after I sold off the rest of the front cut parts and std ecu.
Richwood manifold $1,000
Injectors $100
Supercharger $2,400
Adaptronic $800
Water meth injection $300
Stuff $1,000

The dyno I put it on could hold the rear wheels down firm enough to get meaningful results as it is a very light car but I would estimate 270 - 300 rwkw based on other known set up's like this and their results.

I have now found a hub dyno that I will set it up on in the new year.

If I were to be looking for a power plant for my cobra now I would put in the new Ford quad cam and possibly later down the track drop on a supercharger.

Interesting thread...I guess anybody can make power from just about any set up as long as they are willing to take the time, effort, and spend the necessary money to get their project done.

I love the UZ platform, and regardless of the awesome out of the crate power you get from the LS platform, swapping it into the SC for example, is a massive amount of work to get not only it and the transmission working, but to get the wiring done and all the Lexus stock components working properly as well.

But, then, if you do a project like mine, where you change it several times as you go along, and then go through some of the challenges with finding trustworty fabricators, is that any easier??? I spent enough time, money and energy on my own very long project that I got burned out on it for a while...Not to where I would part it out and not complete it, but just that I got tired of touching it or even thinking of it for the last several months...If a project takes too long, it starts to wear on you...Mine did on me...

But I am finallly re-motivated, so I made a decision that I would either finish all the remaining work myself, no later than this January 31, 2011, or I would send the car to someone and pay them to finish any outstanding work and then I will have it tuned. I have been very busy with work, and getting ready to open a new business, plus the holidays, plus family...Plus extra studying for continued education...Time gets tough sometimes...

My reason in writing all this is that I expect to make some serious HP and Torque with my set up, and I used the stock heads, although I did modify them. I am rel curious to see what I get. I would really like to see some people put out 750+ WHP and TQ on these motors when built and Force Induced...We shall see...

Ryan

Yea i was reading through that tread, but i want to know exactly what he was doing to get those numbers, fuel management, injectors, internal wastegates? bov's, etc etc. sorry but this really peaks my interested/love in the UZ again to know that they can make massive hp with FI! i read though most of it and i didnt really see details, because those are crazy awesome numbers.

Autronic ECU (SM2), which is a key factor. A good ECU is crucial and i haven't seen anything better yet.

7MGTE injectors so nothing special there.

x2 32mm external gates venting to atm. Some exhaust tweaks got me an extra 50rwkw so like any turbo setup, exhaust flow is king for making good power.

No BOV...waste of time.

Water injection. Intake temps peak around 30-35 deg C at full boost which is nice for power :)

Ign timing was fairly mild. I think the max we pushed it was 18deg BTDC at peak load.

So nothing that special, just some attention to detail and good quality gear.

BTW they ARE NOT log manifolds!!! ;) Compact yes, but check the radiused and blended bends into a well thought out merge collector :) and clearly they work well flowing a best to day of 400RWKW!! you won't get that from logs on only 16psi ;)

Jus, using a local system -Gotech Pro-X- Its a tried and tested system.Intercooler is actually charge cooler, intakes run around 70 deg c.with zero temp creep.

Comparing the Lexus heads to a stock Alfa Romeo 24v 2.5 l head is scary. I am a long time Alfa bloke and wanted to play with something different here.
As most have said here the Lexus is a torque motor for a heavy body with an auto box.Not designed with revs in mind or power at revs..The little v6 Alfa heads are miles ahead in every way by comparison.

Those nc ported heads should really be a serious option in my opinion.

Jus, using a local system -Gotech Pro-X- Its a tried and tested system.Intercooler is actually charge cooler, intakes run around 70 deg c.with zero temp creep.

Comparing the Lexus heads to a stock Alfa Romeo 24v 2.5 l head is scary. I am a long time Alfa bloke and wanted to play with something different here.
As most have said here the Lexus is a torque motor for a heavy body with an auto box.Not designed with revs in mind or power at revs..The little v6 Alfa heads are miles ahead in every way by comparison.

Those nc ported heads should really be a serious option in my opinion.

The heads (the whole inlet system actually) is designed for seamless, effortless torque....and it does that beautifully so Toyota designed exactly what they wanted and did it well (as usual). They do awesome heads where needed eg BEAMS 3SGE.

Boost overcomes all though and the heads will still make power as evidenced by my stock setup.

70 deg inlet temps is a worry? My non intercooled roots SC setup could still deliver 50 deg with WI? That has to be hurting power? A sign your IC setup ain't that good or you are running the turbo waaaay outside it's peak efficiency?

A local UZ using the TO4Z made a similar 320rwkw to mine on approx 1 bar, so it's all doable.

I can't offer much more advice beyond that. My car has been on a few dyno's now (all decent dyno dynamics) and made similar power on them all so it's not one off result. Even the 1/4 mile ET's support the power :)

Autronic ECU (SM2), which is a key factor. A good ECU is crucial and i haven't seen anything better yet.

Quality components are half the battle. Proper implementation of the quality components is the other half. Your results speak for themselves and make MOST jealous.

7MGTE injectors so nothing special there.

Maybe not expensive or exotic but certainly important to have enough injector capacity to support the TOTAL power. As noted 400rwkW = 535rwhp and using a reasonable 15% loss = 630hp flywheel. This is SPECIAL power from a stock piston/rings/rods, unported/un-cammed heads... WOW. This means the 7MTGTE injectors must support 80hp each... again... WOW. What was your peak fuel pressure? Let me modify this statement since I forgot about your water/methanol injection which adds fuel... how much?

x2 32mm external gates venting to atm. Some exhaust tweaks got me an extra 50rwkw so like any turbo setup, exhaust flow is king for making good power.

Venting the wastegates to atmosphere reduces the required exhaust system capacity. I remember you running dual 2.5" exhaust and noting that you wished for 3" but that would not fit. What mods delivered an extra 67rwhp? Stepping up the size shortly after turbines? Muffler change? Other?

No BOV...waste of time.

If not necessary to control surge then certainly not required. That said properly engineered BOV can improve response between shifts. Increasingly important as boost levels rise and turbo size relative to engine size increases. On this application BOV is not needed.

Water injection. Intake temps peak around 30-35 deg C at full boost which is nice for power :)

Water/methanol injection is VERY helpful for increasing boost and power capacity with limited octane pump gasoline but if tuning is based on it requires attentive user awareness and/or boost and timing adjustment in the event of no water/meth due to pump or empty supply.

Ign timing was fairly mild. I think the max we pushed it was 18deg BTDC at peak load.

So nothing that special, just some attention to detail and good quality gear.

As you know but others may not ignition timing is CRITICAL especially as cylinder pressure increases. The most important will be at or near peak torque with more tolerance above and below that RPM point. Not enough timing will kill output and increase EGT and increase total heat load. Too much timing will lower power and move toward detonation. You seem to have found the magic timing for this combination.

BTW they ARE NOT log manifolds!!! ;) Compact yes, but check the radiused and blended bends into a well thought out merge collector :) and clearly they work well flowing a best to day of 400RWKW!! you won't get that from logs on only 16psi ;)

Upon CLOSER inspection let me correct my statement and re-label these as VERY compact, thick walled, tri-Y manifolds that obviously work WELL!!!

Attachments

• JustenGT8 manifold.jpg
    JustenGT8 manifold.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 56
  • ExhaustC Justen GT8.jpg
    ExhaustC Justen GT8.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 10
1UZ-FE ... I am happy.

IMO, the 1UZ is the cheap choice to swap your lazy 4 & 6 cylinder engine.

FI ... low boost setup on a stock engine, If your car originally have 1UZ.

the guys here use to swap the pre 4800 VTC nissan patrol engines with 1UZ.

Bugger me i just spend 30 minutes replying in detail only for the stupid computer to crash my post :(

In brief then, i ran the 7MGTE injectors @ 45psi base pressure and had them flowing over 500cc/minute no problem....heaps of fuel.

The exhaust gains were from simply venting the gates to atm and stepping up to a 4 inch section after the 2.5 merge. If i could run twin 3 inch instead i'm sure there are more big gains to be had.

So 260rwkw.

At that level any ECU will do and twins or single T won't matter. Just size them (it) to give the flow you want at approx 10psi (whatever that pressure ratio works out to be). You will get away with the stock manifolds and i'd just add a simple water injection setup on top of a FMIC for piece of mind.

stock manifolds? just modify stock manifolds for the turbo flange or what exactly are you saying?

and do you think i could get away with piggyback ecu?

Wow, After reading Johns reply I think I need to dump my 1UZ! LOL I am to deep in. John you are killing me here! What would a set of billet heads cost anyway?

stock manifolds? just modify stock manifolds for the turbo flange or what exactly are you saying?

and do you think i could get away with piggyback ecu?

Yup, just add a decent wall thickness pipe to run from the exhaust manifolds to your turbo setup. It's common to just reverse them for ease of pipework. Have seen them make 280rwkw and drove that car and it was pretty damn impressive for how simple the setup was.

Nope, you need to ditch the AFM and i havn't seen a piggyback (interceptor) stype ECU i would use. You can run a stand alone ECU in parallel for engine control only and leave the stock ECU in place to run aircon etc?

Bugger me i just spend 30 minutes replying in detail only for the stupid computer to crash my post :(

In brief then, i ran the 7MGTE injectors @ 45psi base pressure and had them flowing over 500cc/minute no problem....heaps of fuel.

The exhaust gains were from simply venting the gates to atm and stepping up to a 4 inch section after the 2.5 merge. If i could run twin 3 inch instead i'm sure there are more big gains to be had.

Thanks for the input Justen...You have done an awesome job with the 1UZ and your FI Celica.

I know I will be looking at my mid-pipe after I tune and get my set up running well. My mid-pipe is only 3" due to space, and I may have to experiment with an oblong tube for the mid-pipe to determine if I can fit a 4" in there, and then I will probably switch out my Greddy SS mufflers to a larger diameter. That may greatly assist with more gains. After that, I will have to look at the heads...Plus a third fuel pump. I still want to hit that magical number of 1000 HP at some point and time. Just once on the dyno, and i will be happy, as I do not plan to track and race the project seriously.

AS far as John Cribb's comments...John, as Scott says...You are killing us...We know you like to really engineer and tweak to the nth degree, but, damn, if we listen to you, we would simply cry in our beer...:eek:;)

Ryan

Last edited:
Sorry guys, I know I came across too negatively. It's just frustrating to see how easily and cheaply some engines, like the 2JZ, can make triple digit power, while the UZ struggles, and we spend a fortune to try to make over 600 HP.

And to add insult to injury, the 2JZ is a litre lighter in displacement than the 1UZ.

Exactly John ! and more the reason to make the heads flow better as the bottom end I believe has all the potential to match the 2JZ..

Comparing the UZ heads and ports they are no better than my Maserati Ghibli 2.8l turbo heads. The Maserati though makes power effortlessly by comparison. Smaller capacity per cylinder though, she is only a v6 and 2.8l ..She does do 400Kw atw and 500 Nm with ease though...