1999 LS400, TURBO inquiery

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Avet4

Hello guys, I'm Avik, or Avet. Whichever, I don't mind.

Before I say anything else, I ask that you have some patience with me as I have ADD to an extent, and it's very difficult for me to organize my thoughts, and when I do they can be very long winded. With good, concise suggestions and back and forth correspondence I'm able to work well thru resolving issues.

I have done my very best to search the forums for my answers but fail at remembering/retaining/recalling, what I've learned. If I can keep this all in one thread it will help a fellow enthusiast immensely.

First a little background info before I get into the questions.

My families first LS400 was a used 1990 with something like 120k miles on it back in 2000. It was the most solid car I have ever driven till this day. We got rid of it after it got damaged in a wreck.

My family recently (within the past year) bought a 99 LS400 (vvti, obviously) in immaculate shape. The car is wonderful, fully maintained, etc etc. Right now the odometer reads at right under 100kmiles, which we suspect might have been tampered with b/c during the timing belt change, the date written on the old water pump was like 2004 or something. So I guess it was changed once already.

Even so, the car looks like it's got 60k miles, so we aren't worried. The only mechanically problematic issue we THINK we have is the transmissions odd shifting, that sort of feels like a torque converter issue we had with our old Towncar. Could be something electrical too I suppose.

I will say though that the 90 car felt more substantial in minor details than the 99. There was a feeling of over engineering that the older models had that the new ones lack. It is still an amazingly reliable car but I just wanted to put that out there.

We've done the timing belt, spark plugs, water pump, and fuel filter recently.

We did a transmission flush about 15k miles ago. We were hoping that the flush would take care of the shifting issues we seem to have (which again the old 4speed never had).

That is yet a problem for another time to diagnose, unless one of you has advice. It's a weird shift from first to second for a few minutes after a cold start, and after warmed up, during hard kick-down there's a sensation of slippage (torque converter?)

I've been reading this forum for a while now and I've gotten the basic idea that the older models were more beefed up, 94 and older, and my comments above were to suggest that it wasn't only with the engine but rather the entire car and all it's materials. Just general cost cutting I suppose.

With that said, I still love this car and want to keep it as we got a pretty good deal on it for it's condition.

NOW TO GET TO THE POINT.... I WANT TO TURBO THIS CAR

I am 100% deadlocked on turbo instead of supercharging for various reasons. I enjoy the torque characteristics of a turbo, and the mpg benefits when just cruising. There is no changing my mind on this haha.

I enjoy the way the car pulls right now in it's current NA state, even with it's relatively tiny 4liter. I'm comparing this to other V8 cars we've owned which include a Lincoln Towncar with a 4.6l making 210hp and an e39 M5 5.0l making 400hp. Oh I almost forgot to mention the salvaged 99 Landcruiser we had for about a year with it's 4.7l.

Compared to the Towncar, the LS manages to balance out the lack of displacement with better technology and broader torque curve, and 290hp vs the Lincolns 210hp.

At the moment the LS cannot compare to the M5, at all.

My goal is to change that.

I understand that I could go with a 4.7 shortblock swap, but that's $$$ and work.

Is there a recommended turbo set up for the vvti 1uz on a completely stock motor? I want modest power, to the ballpark of 400-450hp CRANK... not WHP, just trying to keep it realistic. Would you guys agree that that's a safe, reasonable goal on a stock vvti motor?

What would I need for this sort of undertaking? I picture a small-midsize single quick spooling turbo, 6 to 8psi max?

Is there any reliable tuning that will work with the vvti? I want the end result to be as finely tuned as possible to retain stock drivability, no CELs. As close to a factory set up as possible.

Manifolds?

Intercooler?

Would the stock fuel system work at this level?

Will I hurt my transmission?

Transmission cooler?

Is there a "shift kit" for the 5speed auto to quicken the shifts and reduce wear. Would that even be recommended?

Any drop-in LSD options?

Thanks, in advance for any suggestions guys. I'll definitely appreciate any good comments I get.

Last edited:
Looks like a course on welding.. Purchase a MIG welder and angle grinder ??
Single or twins ??
Gt3540 / T04Z / Master power T64 or T70 for higher output..
Twins .. Precision SC61's do fine.. VF IHI's on std assembly...
The smaller twins are usually internal gated and work well...