1995 Lexus SC400

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

kennedog90c

Hello everyone I joined yesterday and I am looking at getting a SC400 I live in Minnesota and I found a white 1995 with 131,549 miles on it for $9,995 havent seen it yet probably going to go this weekend just want you guys to throw out some ideas about this car what I should look for on SC400's because I am not to knowledgeable about them yet. What are common signs of problems on these cars? Is the cars price good for the year and miles?
Is the 95 a 1u or 2u? Are both engines capable of handling power? I dont know what I can all do to the car but I want to do some things but I will get into that once I get it. I will let you guys start with this for now thanks to anyone who reads and posts.

First - Make sure the car has never been in a really bad accident..One way to tell is when you lift the hood try and look or glance along all the framing to look for corrections, bends or defects.....Look under the car as well.....While your looking under the car look for leaks, if will see fresh oil droplets forming on maybe the oil pan, tranny, rear differential then the car has leaks... Also, look for paint color changes near the molding edges...If it's been repainted it could mean that it was in a bad accident or sometimes low quality paint job color changes may chip or peal in the near future and then show thru the original paint color...You don't want that....

Secondly - Make sure there is some records of maintenance on the car...Make sure it has been serviced regularly, oil changes, etc...

Lastly - Drive it, make sure it drives nice on the freeway and in city..Listen for noises and feel for vibrations...If all of that stuff looks good then lastly I would run CARFAX.com to get the reported legal history on the car....

Now other hints to get a good deal - Ask the seller after you show no interest in the car that your on a thin budget and you were looking for a cleaner SC...Then ask the seller how much lower he will come down on his asking price if you buy it today.. When he offers a lower selling price tell him you will give him $500 less then that amount....I doesn't hurt to try and get the best price, and the worst the Seller can say is no....

If you really want to play it safe you can take the car to a local mechanic and have it looked over for problems or potential problems...Agree to this before you purchase it but only after you both agree on a final sales price...If the mechanic comes up with problems that need fixing you ask the seller to help you and lower the price some more, if it checks out ok you still get it for the final agreed price.........This may cost you $100 bucks to the mechanic.....

Good luck.......

good advice. also, i just purchased my '95 sc400 for $8500 last week. perfect condition (well, except for the usual sc issues, clouded headlights, door panel crack, center a/c vent crack) w/ 96,000 miles. work that price. oh, and you'll love the car.

Attachments

• engine_01.JPG
    engine_01.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 9
  • engine_02.JPG
    engine_02.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 9