Project Thread SC400T (Lextreme's Version)

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Lextreme II

Just call me "Lex"
Today Stevechumo came to my home and we started to puting pipes together. Not too long into the organization of the pipes, we found out we have the all the raw materials. Per the conversation with Steve, he decided to do a basic and simple single turbo like the one I currently have in my LS400. He will be keeping the driver side header stock and loop a 2.25" pipe across under the engine/transmission and merge into a custom made header. This system is very similar to this one but in the passenger side instead of driver side.
IMG_0741.jpgIMG_0740.jpg
IMG_0744.jpgIMG_0745.jpg

As this project progresses we will keep you guys inform. However, Steve is very excited about this basic and simple setup. His goal is about 400-450 rwhp.

Attachments

• IMG_0741.jpg
    IMG_0741.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0744.jpg
    IMG_0744.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 0
Boost it up, baby! I can't wait to finish it. I hope to finish this project in 1 month. David is very restrictive on his time (only 2 hours/week) so I just cry about him stalling my time. :crying: If we're able to work on this full-time, 2-3 days are the maximum time to finish this project.

Here are the intercooler and the exhaust section. I wish I could go for a longer intercooler, but I decided to go with the 27"x12"x3" one. It's because I didn't measure the space for it, so I just wanted to be safe with this size. However, this intercooler should be able to support more than 500 hp.

The exhaust pipe diameter is 2.25" and it'll handle well more than 500 hp. The stock diameter is only 1.75". I also use the resonators (straight flow) and the cats (OBD I & OBD II compliance) to trim down the noise. If it's quiet, then I'll delete the resonators later on.

WOW!! Looking awesome guys. Keep it up and keep us posted. Steve, i'm excited and very proud of you bro. Let the boosting begin. With David help, you gonna have a fast car. Man, I better go single setup on mine soon to keep up.

Mr. James Bond,
Why don't you come over and join us this Saturday at 1 p.m? I'll get you a coffee "Di Vang"? :biggrin:

Attachments

• Soarer 8 041 (resized) (Copy 1).jpg
    Soarer 8 041 (resized) (Copy 1).jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 29
if its only single turbo, why didn't you just use one larger cat?
It's because there're 2 O2 sensors on each side of the cat totalling 4 02 sensors for both sides. That's why I'm using 2 cats. The citation for an exhaust without the cats are hefty. A citation for a turbo system (it's only a "fix-ticket") is still way better than a citation for no cat.

Mr. James Bond, 1 p.m. sharp. It'll be fun. I asked David to do it at 12 p.m., but he said that his lunch takes too long and he needs a nap, too...LOL.

This is going to be a very simple but workable system. It would be the best if we can get one SS header on the driver size to improve exhaust flow. However, stock would be good for 400-450 rwhp. We should able to put it together within a day or so if we have all the raw material and equipment ready.

Go Steve GO!!!!!! You guys have my interest...Steve how much is this total project end up costing you if you don't mind me asking? I would give you one of my SS headers if I didn't need it, sorry pal...

I want to definetely check out your ride when it is done...You must be excited you are finally boosting your ride..Congrats.....

Now SteveChumo, JamesN, LEX, and Jibbby can all line up on a huge wide road in our Lexus's and see who wins in a race.. Oh and David, Lexus's only and no high powered Mustangs, or 470tt please..:happysad:

Steve your exhaust looks nice, what stainless steel oval mufflers are those?

Your two free hours a week just doesn't seem to be enough to squeeze me in, but I am in......Maybe you should start charging for your time Davey, you are a wanted man....

1 hour of Lex's time $100....Knowledge and experience is money right? I hope Steve is not reading this, I was only kidding....:boggled:

Thanks for all of your encouragement...My hat is off to you. This total project is really cheap, John. You can't even imagine how cheap it is. So far here's the break down after rounding up the numbers:
- T04 genuine Garrette turbo (freshly rebuilt, look and feel 90% new). It has very good quality from what I see: $125.
- Intercooler: $130.
- Wastegate: $70
- Blow-off valve: $70
- (2) Cats: $86
- (2) Mufflers (Unknown brands): $70
- (2) Resonators: $70
- Flange for turbo manifold (maybe 1 because I'll use 1 existing stock manifold): $55-$150
- Flanges for turbo inlet, outlet, and pipes: $120 so far. Maybe another $60 and they'll be complete from the turbo all the way to the muffler, and to the throttle body. Total: $200.
- (2) Electric fans, sensors, and other materials: $120
- Transmission cooler: $37
- Oil lines, fittings, turbo heat shield, and thermo pipe wrap: Unknown. Maybe $300
- Fuel pump: $100
- Rising Rate fuel pressure regulator: already had before. Usually about $150.
- Gas Increase: Infinite.........
**Total cost of the project: $1528.
This cost is for 7-9 psi, which can possibly give me at least 275-325 rwhp (325-375 crank hp). My goal would be running 12 psi, which can give me near 375 rwhp (maybe 425 crank hp), so another $1000 for thicker head gaskets, fuel injectors, and a piggy-back ECU is needed. And then, a rebuilt torque converter and a shift kit will help shift it faster.

That's cheap Steve..WOW...$1528 for 300whp sounds pretty good to me, and needless to say there is more horse power in store for you later on down the road..... Good deal.....

Curious what is the difference between the Garrett T04 and the gt35R turbo's if you don't mind me asking? Would you have preferred the GT35R Steve? Also who is going to install your tranny cooler for you?..Since my tranny build I have not installed a tranny cooler and probably need too, even though the tranny builder said it was not necessary with around the 300whp I am now dealing out...

Your going to have crazy top end power with the combination of that turbo setup and stock TC, but your lowend should be very sluggish I would think..Does that sound right to you?

$1528 is a really good deal for 300 rwhp because the stock SC only dynos at around 187 rwhp. I may tweak it around and up to 325 rwhp for the same $$.

My Garrett T04 has the largest turbine housing in the T04 family, but not the compressor housing. I made research before and this T04 can max out at around 450 hp. I think the GT35R is better because it can max out for around 500 hp, maybe more. It spools faster than mine, too. I'd prefer the GT35R if I got the $$. If I recall right, the new GT35R costs around $1300, while the new standard T04 costs around $600. I can't post any accurate specs or prices because I'm so tired right now. I'll need to save the $$ for a new body kit and a whole new paint for the entire car.

I'll install the tranny cooler by myself. I think it's easy. It'll sit behind the intercooler. Most standard tranny builders don't have the experiments or experiences to know exactly how much hp a particular can make, so I'm not so sure about what your tranny builder is right or not. However, it's a very cheap investment so why not do it.

I think the turbo will help eliminate the sluggish of the SC with stock T.C. It's because the SC is really heavy (making it sluggish at first), but with the power added, it'll take off a lot quicker at low end and hi end. A T.C. will definitely make it faster so it's a very good combination. I'll definitely go with a rebuilt T.C. and a shift kit when I up the boost more than 7-9 psi. It'll jerk a little, but is way too damn fast like a manual tranny.

Sounds good Steve... Curious? Why do you think the turbo will help you with off the line performance?...Isn't the spool up time going cause some lag at idle? I would think that setup would still create sluggishness like stock conditions at launch with the continued use of the stock torque converter in combination with a single turbo setup......Am I mistaken?

I think it also depend on how you launch too. If you do it right with a turbo set up you can go off the line pretty quick. Plus, Steve turbo is not big at all. He should go pretty good. You might took off faster then steve with your NOS, but I think he will catch up to you pretty quick. Wow, everyone in our group is building up pretty good. I'm excited and happy. We should have a friendly race at the track sometimes.