On Board Computer

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Lextreme II

Just call me "Lex"
Hey Guys,

My buddy ACleanSC is driving around with a mini computer installed in his SC400. I can do everything like a laptop. Perhaps he can jump and tell us little more about it. His ride can play everything in dvd format and go online via wireless too.

What's up guys, it's been about 2 years now since I've been running my "carputer" in my slammed SC400. The reason I say slammed SC, is because most people worry about the damage a lowered car would do to a hard drive. I have had ZERO problems with my setup.

The website to visit to do a lot of useful research is mp3car.com. That is where I learned that a carputer is useful and just as nice as any top of the line double din headunit out there.

Like David says, the carputer does everything any laptop/desktop computer can do and it all depends on your hardware setup. The important things I was looking to achieve was, mp3 playback, video playback, and GPS. It does that all a lot more!!!

Now you guys must be wondering how much, well if you look at your Fry's ad, you can probably piece together somethings and spend a less than $1500 for your entire setup. I'll break down my setup so you can see what you will be needing: (these prices are from when I purchased these items nearly 2 years ago)
1) Via Epia M10000 mini-itx mobo = $275
2) 250w Opus 250w dc-dc powersupply = $250 www.opussolutions.com
3) 512mb ram = $60
4) 20gb 2.5" HD = $90
5) 160gb 3.5" HD = free (had it laying around)
6) 7" Xenarc touch screen = $400 www.xenarc.com
7) Delorme GPS receiver = $100
8) Microsoft wireless usb card = $50

I believe that's all...well, I did this in a hurry and I'm sure I left things out...so I'll be around to answer any questions and help wherever I can...

Tony

This is the 700TSV for about $400 and Dimension (in): 7.75W x 4.75H x 1.38D
700TSV%20web%20-%20front.jpg

has any one tried anything further with this?

as i am going to buy a car pc in the next month or so, and would like to know if a screen will fit in the dash replacing the stock unit?

Maybe this is the right place for this. Has anyone experience with the Autronics SM4 Virtural Dash? Or any type of virtural dash at all? Would love to have engine status/performance displayed on a screen in the cab (it's a truck)

Maybe this is the right place for this. Has anyone experience with the Autronics SM4 Virtural Dash? Or any type of virtural dash at all? Would love to have engine status/performance displayed on a screen in the cab (it's a truck)

If your car is OBDII, you can definitely hook that up to your carputer to view engine stats and other goodies.

Mp3car is a nice place to do some research.

Here is some footage of my unit in action. This is just the tip of the iceberg, wayyy more can be done...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xz2IQEdLgk

enjoy!

has anyone looked further into this? I was wondering if i could run all digital climate controls and replace the head unit as well, so instead of having physical buttons it would be all computerized. That would mean I could fit a much larger screen. I imagen id have to have some sort or ecu hooked up still. Any input plz thanks.

has anyone looked further into this? I was wondering if i could run all digital climate controls and replace the head unit as well, so instead of having physical buttons it would be all computerized. That would mean I could fit a much larger screen. I imagen id have to have some sort or ecu hooked up still. Any input plz thanks.

Yes, this is definitely possible. There is a board called the "Fusion Brain" which can do that. I recently found that and will be purchasing it soon to do my car for my new setup.

I would browse mp3car for your research on hardware/software.