MK4 Supra, 1UZ tt and T56

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

em_knaps

Hey folks,

A project that has been in the works for half a year or so..

93' JZA80:

mysoup.jpg

91'? UZZ30 1UZ-FE soarer engine (perfect fit in the supra crossmember/mounts)

IMG_0016.jpg

2004 GM Holden Commodore T56 box. (TUET1660) 350ftlb rating.

IMG_0340.jpg

Nascar second hand Quatermaster Triple Plate clutch.

IMG_0136.jpg

Cheap chinese turbo's and wastegates.

IMG_0142.jpg

Megasquirt ECU

here are pics ive taken so far of the conversion and gearbox adpation:

IMG_0326.jpg

IMG_0327.jpg

IMG_0328.jpg

hope to have it running around the middle of next year.

progress is slow as i have other projects on the go aswell as this one.

but it will be done, i am looking forward to loosing traction.

Daniel.

Nice mate, I have just finished getting mine going NA... about to turbo it, decided to go big single from twins.

PS how are you going to solve the speedo issue with the box? Routing for the turbos and IC? dual TB plenum? Running remote PS pump?

Indeed,

bang for buck is what i am aiming for with this project,
all parts i have bought on the cheep have been proven reliable thus far by friends of mine using these same parts

the only gamble is the low torque rated T56.

Daniel.

Nice mate, I have just finished getting mine going NA... about to turbo it, decided to go big single from twins.

PS how are you going to solve the speedo issue with the box? Routing for the turbos and IC? dual TB plenum? Running remote PS pump?

i have a plan,
a plan so cunning in fact,you could pin a tail on it and call it a weasel....

ah yea, speedo shouldn't be a problem, should be able to recalibrate it like you would with a Tach that runs off an ecu as the T56 box has a magnetic pickup similar to the auto trans from the 2JZ.

MR2 PS pump perhaps...

turbo and IC plumbing issues will be solved as i go. possibly a water/air IC

will leave TB and plenum as they are for now.

Daniel.

Hi!

May I just say how brilliant, clean, clever and top class that adapter plate and the idea for it are! 10/10 from me :)

Keep up the good work.

Subscribed.

Fred.

Welcome to the MKIV swap fraternity; you Kiwi's always set the standard for DIY that the rest of us need to follow! Good luck with your project.

Question - what's the issue with the power steering? Can't the OEM pump be kept and plumbed into the Supra's rack?

Love those cheap good turbos. I have two Real Garrett (T04S)and I have to Chinese Made T04E (T3/4) with internal wastegate. From the visual inspection and comparision of the two companies, I was very impress with the Cheap Chinese Made Turbos(CCMT). The only thing I would make changes to the CCMT would either change the compressor housing or weld a piece of aluminum between the two halves for added strength. Low boost the CMTT would be prefect. Very high boost, adding more material would definately help. My CCMT costed my $280 each. Vs. Garrett costed me $750 each.

I can not wait to see the T56 running.

Indeed,

bang for buck is what i am aiming for with this project,
all parts i have bought on the cheep have been proven reliable thus far by friends of mine using these same parts

the only gamble is the low torque rated T56.

Daniel.

Id put my money on those turbos and wastegates failing before the box! Will be good to see the finished product :)

Welcome to the MKIV swap fraternity; you Kiwi's always set the standard for DIY that the rest of us need to follow! Good luck with your project.

Question - what's the issue with the power steering? Can't the OEM pump be kept and plumbed into the Supra's rack?

Yeah the OEM pump can be kept and plumbed back in. I just noticed his wasnt there, I am going to run an MR2 pump soon, just need more space there for pipe work, its hard that side because of the steering.

Hello

The biggest problem with chinese products at the moment is their inconsistancy - some will last and some won't. I had a chinese ignition module that came with a replacement distributor for a 289 mustang which failed within 10 minutes of fitting. When I talked to the supplier he said they where so good at copying products that if there is a problem with the original that the copy will oftem have the same problem.

Running a MR2 p/s pump will make the turbo plumbing easier.
I think the T56 is one of the better 6 speeds to run at the moment. How is the gearbox length? Did you take drawings of your adaptor?
I look forward to seeing it run. Cheers

Thanks for the words of encouragement gents, I think the gearbox will fail because of the cheap chinese turbos,not the turbo's 1st. They are,from what i see, a reasonable copy of the garret parts that make up a T04E/T3 (.63) hybrid, alltho they do use 270deg thrust and a non water cooled center from the very early garret products, these are fine if you stay shy of 1bar boost and use good oil. the only thing id change is the non water cooled core. i don't plan on running more than 1bar boost so the thrust will be fine.

gearbox length is ok, shifter pokes up about 1 inche rearward of the auto trans hole. with it in a uneven gear (1st,3rd,5th) it does just clear.but jams.

2 "ears' on the box foul the tunnel near the bellhousing, these so far as i can see can be removed or the tunnel "massaged" for clearance....

i would like to use the OEM PS pump but i really would like to use the space it occupies with exhaust plumbing.

adapter can easily be reproduced by anyone with skill and a large lathe, and a few spare hours.
i would not reproduce it just by copying it physically. A machining process must be followed to insure correct alignment, i have heard these boxes with taper roller bearings on the input shaft cannot tolerate more than 5thou misalignment this is why i used the large round spigot that you see mounted on the release bearing flange on the front of the box. i will most likely leave it there and not bother with dowls on the plate as i need a spacer for the hydro release bearing which with some machining it will suit just fine....

Daniel

Some progress.

turbo's held in place with flat bar while i do some measuring:

IMG_0399.jpg

IMG_0398.jpg

IMG_0397.jpg

unsure if i should go 4 into 1 or 4-2-1, the amount of room i have will dictate this.
I have been crawling the net for pics of TT UZA80's just to get ideas from

Gearbox in tunnel money shot....

IMG_0374.jpg

actual box position is higher than this to align the tailshaft properly. in this position i have some major interference issues with the tunnel.

none that i cannot over come tho, i have a large hammer and an angle grinder should things get serious.

am having trouble finding some exhaust header plates that aren't profile cut from a gasket and are one piece.
the gasket shape is a good shape for a gasket but not so good for a header flange, a fair bit of meat around the bolt holes is missing and i fear the will distort from the weight/heat involved with swinging turbos and wastegates off of them.

cheers,
Daniel.

I have not had much progress recently due to the lack of decent flange plates available,

hopefully i will have that sorted in the next week and will start on the turbo manifolds asap.

pics will come in a fast blur like fasion..... just for fred.

Daniel.

I didnt much like the log manifold.

they are not to bad but i wanted something better. so am making my own.

ill post pics here so u can see what im up to..