I've got the UZ bug!

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

jerbear

Hi all,
New to the forum, and I need a little direction. I am in New York State, and I want to put a 1uzfe in my 1991 Toyota 4X4 X-cab P/U. Most of the successful conversions have been in Australia (My props to you). I need some direction for pulling off a conversion in the states. Will theses companies out there ship here? Can I keep my 5 speed? Has anyone done a full post on a conversion? Please throw me some help. I am watching a motor on eBay that I think I can have for $400.00 US. Is this a good price or can I do better? This price is for just the motor, goodies are extra ( alternator,ecu, afm etc...) I want this so bad and I actually have the wife on my side for this one. Thanks for your time and your info.
Later
Jerry

I am sure there will be plenty of Aussies will jump into this topic. However, $400 for a 1UZFE is average price. I have seen as low as $250 locally to me in Cali.

some factory specs might help... down here, we don't exactly know what you fellas have in your cars and trucks as standard...

so we could probably start with what you originally had in there to work out what is needed... stuff like engine, gearbox, and diff might be a start....

my guess is our equivalent would be a hilux (or sr5)... you're right... there has been many successful pick up conversions done here, so there should be an abundance of info....

Info on truck currently

Thanks for the help R-Jay

As the truck sits now, it is a 1991 Toyota 4X4 X-Cab, with a 3.0 litre 3VZE engine. It has a 5-speed manual transmission I believe it is an R150F. At this time I do not know the ratio on the rear axle, but I will find out. The vehicle does not have cruise control, but it does have air conditioning. No power doors or locks, no anti theft device, Factory radio, with cassette and CD player, upgraded speakers. It has power steering and power brakes. It is a US spec vehicle so it has a single exhaust with a crossover pipe behind the engine. The battery is on the passenger side of the vehicle ( thats the left side of the vehicle if you were standing in front of it, looking at it). It has a factory radiator and the ECU is bolted inside the kickpanel on the passenger side footwell. In my part of the country, the winters are pretty harsh and we use a lot of road salt for ice control, this vehicle was brought up from the south and the body is in near perfect condition. The only upgrades to the vehicle have been cosmetic to this point. I am exploring this option due to the fact that I blew the headgasket about two months ago, and I can't make up my mind on which repair route to go. Thanks in advance for your help.
Bye for now
Jerry

Jerry, i've noticed you've read the 4runner thread by twisty.... i'm guessing your pickup is similar to our sr5 4runners then... same gearbox and engine....

so have you worked out the parts you need yet?
im not too familiar with the sump positions, so you might want to read some more hilux 4x4 threads to get an idea of what people are using... as for the gearbox, you can definately keep your 5spd as there are quite a few places you can get bellhousing kits and im sure they're willing to ship...

best bet with the ecu side of things is to use the toyota crown items as the crowns run a different computer for the engine and the auto whereas the other cars (soarer, ls400) had the auto computer integrated into the engine ecu.

honestly, if you have a read around, you'll find most of the answers to your questions have been covered... and if not, there'll be someone who'll know the answer, hehe... have fun.

jerbear, you should end up with pretty much the same setup as mine then, as I would asume your hilux (pickup) has IFS? I would add a 2" bodylift before proceding with the conversion otherwise you will deffiently need sump mods and remote oil filter.