VVTi UZ into 1st Gen SC400 Project

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Ok, yes big deal...

The 99' yoke has a larger ID or "more splines" than the 92 so i'm back to square 1. I dont know if the 92 tailshaft will work out since it has 2 sensors and the 99 has 1. If all else fails I could just pick up a used complete 99 d-shaft and it will fit.

I was thinking that would probably be the easiest way. Id do that. The people you got the motor from still have the drive shaft?

hey spf this guy just posted this in my thread on CL. Maybe he can shed alittle light on your project

nextlevelcoupe
this project was very inspirational!-job well done my man. i love to see the vvti v8 get this kind of love and attention. like you, i also am a first with a swap of this nature (swapped out my 95 sc400 v8 engine for a full 98 vvti v8 drivetrain)and totally understand what comes with the territory but, in the end it was all worth it!! can't wait to see what came out of it with your upcoming dyno reveal.

Its not that hard, Im not driving mine mostly because I dont work enough right now to buy all the parts I need at once. Drive shaft, 95 fuel rails, shifter/gate and obviously the power train are all thats really swapped. Getting the fittings from an aircraft fitting store, as well as a few others tomorrow.

Hey spf... I heard you were taking on this project so i had to stop by and see if you needed any assistance. I swapped everything out of my 95 sc400 (gutted out completely) and replaced all wire harnesses(front/internal/rear) and bolted motor,transmission,fuel pump,rear differential,carriage,modified 98 abs unit and hydraulic lines so everything was pretty much plug and play-not really a hybrid project of keeping some 95 components and making it work with the new application. The only thing i kept 95 was the airbag deployment,wiring,ecu,system (because i didn't want to source airbags and crash sensors for 98)- 95 airbag system is totally independent wiring/harness from all other components and doesn't integrate into the factory wiring. The 98 wiring for airbag/srs is all integrated in the harness itself. The fuel return issue your having is probably because you need to drop that 98 fuel pump into the gas tank and use that. I tried to use the 95 pump initially, and the car started and ran fine for a while but then destroyed the pump... i was forced to use the 98 fuel pump to resolve the issue. I capped the line and am in the process of totally removing it. Here is my thread concerning my engine swap (don't mean to thread jack;) ): http://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...e-95-to-98-v8-transformation-restoration.html I will most likely post updates of my success with this swap later today..

No worries nextlevel, thanks for the info.. i'll take all I can get. Over the last couple days I decided to put this car on a major diet so deleting unnecessary components is on my list of to-do's. The car is going to be a daily driven SC that I will use out in Colorado, where I live 5 minutes from campus and creature comforts are just not needed (minus the heater, hehe). Also, I plan to take this to the track on weekends as my town has a local closed course.

From what I can tell the only major "mechanical" issue with the 99 swap is the fuel delivery. Lextreme and myself have changed out 92-95 motors for VVTi versions and he mentioned capping the lines but I know it wont work. I have taken a slightly different approach, by using the 92' pump and 95' fuel rails/fuel return, the system should work out. Capping off the return is going to blow the pump from excessive pressure head and no release (like you said). Basically all I did was add a return line to keep the 92 pump from freaking out. Both are constant flow, but it's the fuel regulators location that mixes everything up. 98 has the fuel reg attached to the pump and all excess is bled back into the tank, whereas 92 has the return line under the hood instead. All in the name of emissions :).

I sorta went off the deep end yesterday and started yanking LOTS of dead weight. My goal is 3100lb curb weight.

so far:

-spare + tools/jack
-all trunk carpeting + floor cover
-all interior carpeting
-back seat (upper and lower)
-A/C delete (all components)
-hydraulic fan + assembly
-92 ignitors
-92 mechanical cruise control (99 is electronic)
-rear deck + speakers/sub + CD changer

Future deletions:

-Airbags + sensors
-chassis sound deadening (the glued on stuff attached to the floor boards)
-exhaust for lightweight custom 2.25"
-coilovers to replace heavy OEM's
-seats for Corbeau A4's.

Attachments

• DSCN2240.JPG
    DSCN2240.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 168
  • DSCN2244.JPG
    DSCN2244.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 166
Well I decided to go all out on the weight reduction. Just yanked out the OEM carpet and MAN IS IT THICK! Its an inch thick with some considerable weight. This car is going to be a noisy Lexus go-kart but oh well, I need to be able to kick some A$$ even at Pueblo's 5000 ft elevation. I have a friend with a stock 3600lb EVO X and we both plan to visit the track on weekends. All I want is to be glued to his bumper :).

I'm going to my local Bevmo today (liquor store chain) and picking up some dry ice to start popping up the heavy sound deadening that is undercoated to the floor.

I also ordered 2 seat sliders for the SC400 and I will be swapping my Corbeau LG-1's from project LS470 for another 90lb of weight reduction.

I think 3100lb is doable but for it to happen I need to stick to minimalism as best I can and stay away from wild stereos, etc.

BTW, my 19's weighted in at 29lb each. Is this on the heavy side for a 19" rim?

Sorry about the blurry pics but my Nikon really sux. I ran AN fittings for my bridge and my fuel "In" that feeds the rails. All I need is throttle cable + shifter + intermediate d-shaft. If anyone has or knows of a yard that does, I would appreciate it. Finding parts for the 98-2000 are very rare. Lex and myself have come up blank after calling numerous wrecking/dismantler yards in the LA area.

Some more pics of the Aeroquip fittings for the supply line:

DSCN0924.jpg

DSCN0928.jpg

I have an issue with this loom at seems to be not needed. 99' harness has the alternator plug + terminal already on the engine loom but it looks like the 92' has it on the body loom. I also noticed the plug size is different between the 2, meaning that alternators would not be a bolt on swap. I am running a 140amp aftermarket and its no big deal. Here are the plugs in question:

sdfdf.jpg

DSCN0925.jpg

Thanks Lex, almost there. Whats making this puzzling is that the alternator is already plugged in with a ring terminal already fastened to the alternator. Should I use both ring terminals? I know your SC470 uses the OEM distribution block pictured above for your battery relocation, how did you deal with the alternator plugs?

I wrote an article about swapping the plugs from the alternator. I dont remember where i have it. Basically u take the alternator cover out and change out the plug within the alternator.

Take it down to David's house when you're done. I'd like to rev it up

For sure steve, i'm planning on bringing it by. I have been outside CA for a while and plan to do a lot of cruising. I swear I can have it running today if I can only find a used 98+ sitting in a yard.. Thats my work for today, calling and calling some more until someone says "yes we have one".

Shifter assembly + shift gate + intermediate driveshaft and the TPS/throttle cable mount pictured on the last pic attached to the side of TB. Mine came with a broken cable flange.

I always like front TB. It looks sexy. For the front upper sway bar, I think it'll help by having some spacers to heighten it up a little. The engine will lift a little during WOT and it may damage the shock upper mount studs when trying to push against the sway bar.

Attachments

• SC400 2.JPG
    SC400 2.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 5
  • SC 1.JPG
    SC 1.JPG
    154.6 KB · Views: 4