Using Urathane for engine mounts

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

hrforever

I've read projects were people have designed their engine mounts using urathane bushes as well as others using rubber. Whilst rubber is the traditional method, does the urathane give any particular benefits, and what about vibrations and noise thru the mounts?

I'm sure everyone will have an opinion one way or the other but if designing an engine mount from a blank sheet, which gives the best result.

Like zidaro said, you will notice more vibration and noise with the use of urethane not as much as if you were to use solid mounting. One advantage of using urethane bushings insted of traditional mounts is that you well never brake one unless you break an actual metal bracket.

I boils down to what you want as to whether you use traditional rubber mounts or urethane bushing.

Having not started or been in a vehicle with a UZ motor, how smooth are they? Is vibration or roughness an issue at idle or cruising?

From what I've been lead to believe, I'm guessing the urethane bush should be ok.

A well tuned properly running UZ engine is very smooth. I have urethane bushing type mounts on mine and idle is perfectly fine. Cruising is fine for the most part. Low crusing engine RPM does cause a slight vibration but Im also thinking that it has to do with my exhaust more so then the engine. You will notice that with this type of mount, engine torque is absorbed by the chassis, not the mount. For example, when I rev my engine (fast throttle movement) you see the whole car lift from the left front corner where as another local supra (UZ swap), the engine moves a lot, but the chassis doesn't as he is using normal OEM rubber mounts.

For the most part, I dont think that you would be dissatisfied by using the urethane bushing type setup.

Attachments

• booster mod 1.JPG
    booster mod 1.JPG
    137.5 KB · Views: 102
  • booster mod 2.JPG
    booster mod 2.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 97
cjsupra90, that's sounds like what I'm after. Can I ask what way your bushes are used. The OEM bushes use a bolt top and bottom whereas I had thought of using the urethane bush with a bolt thru front to back similar to that used in a suspension trailing arm or similar. This would give a greater variety of bushes to choose from instead of trying to find one that could be used with a bolt thru from top to bottom.

The way that your thinking is how I did mine...... I dont have a regular picture of the set up, but I do have a 3D CAD model of them. The red area's are obviously the bushings...

:beerchug: hey do you sell any sets of those? i broke my mounts removing the engine and i'm looking for some stat.......thats one of my hold ups getting my motor back in....don't really want to use more stock mounts....or do you know anyone that maybe can get some?

:beerchug: hey do you sell any sets of those? i broke my mounts removing the engine and i'm looking for some stat.......thats one of my hold ups getting my motor back in....don't really want to use more stock mounts....or do you know anyone that maybe can get some?

Who are you directing your question to, Ed or me?

I could fab a set for you if needed.

my vote is for solid mounts - I was sceptical but believed in my engineer frined when he told me the vibration would be minimal - the 1UZ is a smooth motor and I am glad I went with solid mounts - I used the oem aluminum castings swapped left to right bolted straight to a welded on flat mount on the subframe - I have little to no vibration only spotted with a glass of water - and my normal cars actually displace more water when doing the same test - if i needed to change mounts uethane would get the nod - dont be scared of solid mounts - but make sure if on solid you mount the engine and gearbox solidly dont let the gearbox be on rubber

Who are you directing your question to, Ed or me?

I could fab a set for you if needed.
anyone would be alright with me,i just can't find any local....and am in need of them,solid mounts would be great with me also...this is not going to be a daily driver so i don't mind a little vibration...plus i want to feel the rumble,i mean my exhaust has a cut out that goes out the front bumper,that **** rumbles. any ideas on how much and how soon they could be made....i need to be done with this car in one month.....

anyone would be alright with me,i just can't find any local....and am in need of them,solid mounts would be great with me also...this is not going to be a daily driver so i don't mind a little vibration...plus i want to feel the rumble,i mean my exhaust has a cut out that goes out the front bumper,that **** rumbles. any ideas on how much and how soon they could be made....i need to be done with this car in one month.....

What is this for / what mount were you planning on using??????

I need to know more info before I could build anything...

cjsupra90, love the fact you have no pictures, just a 3D CAD drawing. I'm still in the pencil and paper age.

Anyway, a question for you and Ed ma61, what size were the bushes you used.

cjsupra90, love the fact you have no pictures, just a 3D CAD drawing. I'm still in the pencil and paper age.

Anyway, a question for you and Ed ma61, what size were the bushes you used.

Yeah, 99% of everthing I build has drawings and or 3D models... I didn't think to take any pics of the...

As for the size bushing, the ones that i used are the the energysuspension 1 1/4" units energysuspension #9.9107

Heres a link to the page of thier catalog of the sizes that are availible....
http://www.energysuspension.com/pages/univ1.html

Yeah, 99% of everthing I build has drawings and or 3D models... I didn't think to take any pics of the...

As for the size bushing, the ones that i used are the the energysuspension 1 1/4" units energysuspension #9.9107

Heres a link to the page of thier catalog of the sizes that are availible....
http://www.energysuspension.com/pages/univ1.html

Is 1/2" bolt adequate for that application? I like that design and may do something similar, but will be beating my 4Runner off road once the 1UZ is fitted and want some extra beef.

i also built solid mounts using the stock aluminum upper and replacing the factory rubber piece with solid 1 3/4 steel round stock cut at the same angle and height as oem.