Tacho flickering

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Shuey

Hey Crew,

Need some pointers on an issue that I have with my 1UZFE equiped HiLux...

My Tacho neddle flicks around like it is getting some interferance or something.
I used to do it all the time when I'd load the engine up, for example driving around a corner in third gear (manual) from low rev's.

I just completed a major service (Water pump, timing belt, dizzy caps and rotors... but have yet to do the HT leads... they are still the orginals from 1990) and the tacho needle flicks around worse than before. Now it will flicker even at idle.

Engine apears to be running smoothly and i have check the connection at the ignitor, no probs there.

I'm hoping it is the HT leads but I'm up for any tips.

Cheers,

Shuey

It never did it before the conversion...I had a V6 Chev in it before and the tacho is a cheapo aftermarket item, but was never flickering.
I'm looking to hook up the factory dash tacho... as soon as i can find the damn wire for it (the previous owner cut the wires in the engine bay and now I can't even see the wiring harness... So I need to chase it under the dashboard).
Just seems an interesting coincidence that it is worse since changing the timing belt (not that the belt has anything to do with it) the dizzy rotors and caps (Bosch items)....

i have a 1uz in my hilux too

i tried 2 or 3 diff tacho boosters and it flickered or didnt work at hi revs

then i fitted 2 boosters one after the other to get s trong signal and oit works ok now

is yr dash a 4 cyl petrol dash as this is the correct one u need

since the 1uz has a 4cyl signal to the tacho

i can sell u theses all wired with only power earth signal in and signal out

Hey Side Show,

Mine is the diesel 4 cyl model, so the dash tacho should work ok once i find the trigger wire. One of my mates bought the same model Lux as I have the other day, so I'll have a sqizz under his bonnet at some stage and look for the trigger wire on his.

Boosters... Hmm... I've never heard of those before. Given that it worked fine before (short of the occassions that I described previously), I'll keep sniffing around at my connections and see what I can cure.

Any other thoughts out there?

when u say it worked fine before was this with the other engbine eg v6 chev

the tacho signal from them could be different to the 1uz tacho signal

and another thing is a diesel tacho reads differently to a petrol tacho i think

as old diesel tachos work of the alternater

so it might have been modified to suio tthe v6 chevie

and now u are runnin a 1uz it could be totally wrong

has it worked well with the 1uz?

It used to work fine with both the V6 Chev and the 1UZFE (before changing the Dizzy caps and rotors), but now it does it all the time...
Tell me, if the HT leads were a bit on the average side, ie the insulation had been damaged in some way and it caused a bit of arcing between the leads, would that cause the tacho to flicker?

On another note, I though that the diesel model tacho pick up was off the injector pump??? Soon find out I guess... I'll have a look see at my mates this weekend.

Cheers,
Shuey