V6 Tacho question

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

-Nemesis-

I have a Jaycar speedo corrector kit that I bought a long time ago. I never ended up using it till now, it's bascially a signal modifier and they advertise it for use on tacho's as well.

I'm trying to use it to correct my V6 tachometer that is mis-reading the V8 signal (reads 1/3 under actual.) It's in a 1992 Toyota 4Runner.

Anyways after installing it I find that the tacho doesn't work at all, I have followed all the instructions and configurations and double checked. The one thing I've noticed (measured) is that the original signal to the tacho is well over 12v when the engine is running. When routed through the corrector unit, the output signal drops to around 6v (input is 12v but drops to 6v after the first resistor). Now I think this is the problem, simply not enough juice to run the factory tacho?

Anyone know if there's a way I can boost the output signal to get the Toyota tacho to come to life?

We no longer use the J-car units as sometimes they are unsuitable like this. We have a better unit which works well. Talk to sideshow - he should be able to help. Otherwise I am in sydney in a few weeks and could bring one our our units over to try. I have just brought a 92 hilux Surf myself ( has the facelift 4 runner front) No lexus yet or for a while - cheers

Thanks mate, do they cost much? I bought a cheapo tacho but then decided I would prefer the factory one.

I tried to pm sidey before but he's blocked pm's :(

i agree with jaycar ****

i wont use most of their stuff cause its cheap and if it fails and u have to fix things under warranty u have already lost 100 or 200 bucks in labour

i have very good signal adjusters

but the last 1uz into a v6 i did had to use this unit plus a signal booster

to get the tacho to work

all up in parts its 200 bucks

i can fit it for 250 all up

sorry i got shits with some forums ever since the idiots at toymods stopped me from posting so i have changed my settings plus also with new kid on the way i try harder to stay away from them

but if u want these parts call me on

0415 904 947

or email me on [email protected]

or goto my website and send my company an email

thanks

jim

Thanks for that info Jim. This Jaycar thing was one of the kits you need to build yourself, I doubt that would be worth while for you anyway, fiddling around soldering circuit boards worth $50 hehe...

As for the original dilemma though, would you say that 6V output is the reason the tacho is dead? Is that likely something the 'booster' can fix?

I can't really justify $250 on the factory tacho, the 4" aftermarket one I bought last week doesn't look too bad and only cost $60 2nd hand off eBay. But after holding it up I still would prefer the factory one for similar $ (cheapskate I know.)

signak booster is 50 bucks u need these when fiting a 1uz to a hilux with petrol dash
diesel dahses do work with 1uz without tacho booster

but when u fit the booster the taco will read a touch slow

but some hilux tachos have a small screw trimpot inside them and u can adjsut the rpm on the tacho

as i dont do this often i dont kno which models do or dont have this

so if u have time pull yr instrument cluster out

look into the side of the back fo the tacho for a trim pot

then adjust this slightly until revs at idle when warmed up are around 650 to 700

i cant justify that ,uch on a tach too thats y i never fit them

the signal converter i mainly use for speedos and is very accurate and has minute increments

thats y they are 200 bucks

but first check for a trimpot

I remember Twisty pulled his dash apart looking for the adjustment on the back after reading about some Toyotas having them, but there was nothing.

Assuming it works properly, this adjuster I have has two 0-9 % adjustments, one is tens and one is singles. So it can be adjusted in 1% increments from 0% to 99%.

The 4cyl diesel dash is another option, now I wish I didn't sell mine out of the Surf I parted out.

You'll have to pull the rear of the dash cluster apart to see the trimpot (if its there). It wont be accessible without taking the cover off and even then it will be pretty hard to see.

It should have one though.

i got a dash at work form a hilux which needs modding for a desiel hilux ill have a look before i send it away

but i think a deisel tacho is 1/5 the rpm of a 4cyl so its no go

Attachments

• NZEFI_Dyno. small jpeg.jpg
    NZEFI_Dyno. small jpeg.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 219
I didn't read the initial idea properly, when Twisty pulled his dash apart he was under the impression there was a switch to change the input mode.
If there's an internal trimpot it's worth pulling the dash. If it wasn't there i'd swear...... alot hehehe

The V6 tacho is probably different to all the Hilux ones, like a lot of other little things on the 4Runner

u might just need a signl booster then

drop in and ill give u one

run it after the jaycar unit

i just dont trust jaycar stuff incase i have warranty probs cause i know jaycar wont give me money for wasted labour hehehe

anyway if u want a booster ill be at work all day thurs and fri

I mightn't get time to come that way for a bit with work and all. Any chance I can send you a few extra $ to put it in a mail bag? Or COD or something?