Supercharger Vs. Turbo- Off the Line Results

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Probably right jibbby.
But it is very difficult to be dogmatic about it, there are exceptions to every rule.

RMS god bless you man...You really went out on limb there to agree with me on this brutal and unforgiving thread... I am impressed with your courage..... Thanks man....

Now as far "throttle linearity" and other scientific terms being used in the lastest posts- My vocabulary just doesn't stretch that far... I prefer simple lamens terms such as "lag"... So as my last non pregnant and eager to bare children girl friend would say "Please come again"...

im turbo charging my 1992 sc400.. i have 2 choices of turbo charger a gt45/94mm or a holset He351Ve... any thoughts... the holset is a variable geometry thats is electronically activated... just trying to sort out a boost control for it any ideas would be appreciated

im turbo charging my 1992 sc400.. i have 2 choices of turbo charger a gt45/94mm or a holset He351Ve... any thoughts... the holset is a variable geometry thats is electronically activated... just trying to sort out a boost control for it any ideas would be appreciated
What's your power goal? You can have a boost controller (either manually or electronic) on any turbo. I guess you already knew this.

Hope you have upgraded rods and pistons in that SC400..
They are capable of 1100+ h.p...
A T04Z will be much better as street turbo imo...
Unless you have your eyes on a e bay turbo..

Jibby, the answer is still that it simply depends how you size the turbos.

Take a fairly small single turbo - GT30R for instance - a nice 400 WHP turbo.

Put it on a 1.8L and its a bit laggy with a huge sudden gain on the top end. Put it on a 4.0L 1UZ and lag will be close to non-existant.

The problem is that this is a flawed question. A properly set up drag car will get off the line equally well with a turbo or SC. Its all about power and torque and the engine doesn't care how you make it.

You put two HUGE turbos on the car and yes, you will have to get on the highway to spool them. But likewise if you tried to put a 3000 HP blower on the car you would probably have a heck of a time getting it started and keeping it running at a reasonable engine speed, to say nothing of the stress on the crank.

Oh - I forgot to mention that intercooler setup is usually also somewhat at fault for turbo lag - if you have a very short path for air (compressor - W2A IC - intake) with short piping lengths throttle response and lag will be significantly less than with a long piping path to a front mounted intercooler. This is true for centrifugal blowers as well.

Attachments

• IMG_2120 (Large).jpg
    IMG_2120 (Large).jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2121 (Large).jpg
    IMG_2121 (Large).jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2122 (Large).jpg
    IMG_2122 (Large).jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2123 (Large).jpg
    IMG_2123 (Large).jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2125 (Large).jpg
    IMG_2125 (Large).jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2126 (Large).jpg
    IMG_2126 (Large).jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2109 (Large).jpg
    IMG_2109 (Large).jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2112 (Large).jpg
    IMG_2112 (Large).jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 0
Thank you Boosted....

Curious? Why exactly would an intercooler have anything to do with turbo delay or lag? The Intercooler is directly responsible for cooling the turbo and keeping it from over heating, correct? I am trying to think why that would effect spool up time?

becouse it takes a bit of time to fill all that air space. why does it take some time to fill up a tire with air?

Attachments

• idy.jpg
    idy.jpg
    272 KB · Views: 0
What air space? Isn't it the exhaust flow that is directly responsible for turning the turbo?..I understand the lag time it will take for the engine to detonate and turn to create and evacuate the exhaust gases into the exhuast system which inturn cases the turbo to eventually spin..I understand that part of the boost delay.....However, does the intercooler have air in it that needs to pushed out or something which causes a secondary turbo delay? If so how does that cause a delay, shouldn't the turbo still spin anyway off the exhaust flow and create instant boost and power?..... Still a little lost here?

I am not a turbo expert and never said I was, but I do now the basics...Please teach me something new about this turbo lag process if you would be so kind...

wow i dont know how this is hard to understand. but...

Ill try to make this as simple as possble.

everything has a volume, a glass of water, intercoolers and pipes.

if you get thirsty and want a glasss of water, you grab your glass, you go to the sink or what ever, and start filling you glass but, it doent go *poof* full, it takes a certin amount of time. sometimes when you are really thirsty, like right after a run, it seems to take too long, and seems like its forver, and if its a really large glass like one of those 64oz suckers from the 7-11 it really takes a long time.

well the same thing happens when a turbo has to prssureize the air in the intake. and it takes longer the larger the volume is inside all those pipes, intercooler plenum ect. nothing happens instantly.

if a car is sitting still but running it has no pressure in the pipes (it does but if got into that you would be really confused.) anyhow it has no pressure in it for this conversation.. if your max boost is 15psi thats about twice as much air as 0 psi give or take. well just immagine 0psi is an empty glass of water, and 15psi is a full glass of water.

now if all that kinda made some form of sence, then immagine a really simple turbo setup, one where the turbo outlet is directly connected to the trottle body, so there is no pipes at all and no intercooler. thats very little internal volume, kinda like a shot glass. on another car you have one of those massive 1000hp intercoolers and 4" intercooler pipeing running through the inner fender, and around the bumper into the intercooler and back around the other side into the trottle body and one of those huge ass aftermarket plenums with large super long runners, thats a lot more space to fill up with air, kinda like the 64oz 7-11 cup... i dont know how much more simple i can make it...

Now that you broke it down into simple drinking terms Jake:trink26: I fully understand it now as I hypothesized and pointed that out in my last above post...The air mass volume pushed out from the turbo needs to stay compressed and move thru all the turbo piping, throttle body, and pushed into the combustion chambers. With all that it does take some fraction of time until actual combustion occures within the engines combustion chambers.....

So you have exhaust and intake flow time to consider when breaking down actual turbo lag time..... Wasn't that a little easier to say?

Recieved and understood....Thanks man, come to LA. California USA I will buy you a Budwieser anytime....:beerchug:

That's rediculous...

I might get nervous powering up that beast down the track... That's just too much brute power and traction.....

However, I did detect major turbo lag as that was mostly N/A engine power for most of the race until the big turbo's finally and eventually boosted up and kicked in...(just kidding) A wickedly fast ride....Rumble rumble