Supercharger Vs. Turbo- Off the Line Results

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Yeah automic transmissions are a whole different beast when compared with the manual transmission run cars... The torque converter stall rate changes the whole dynamics of the auto ride..

A weak stall rate torque converter is exactly like turbo lag (hense stock SC4/Soarer) but you get the topend power as an added plus, kinda like turbo boost in a sense.....The opposite is said with a strong stall rate torque converter and with that you can get loads of lowend power and torque which equates to off the line power but the topend power is reduced and compromised some.... Kinda lamn if you ask me, a give and a take, oh well.......

As with a manual tranny, what you see is what you get... Still dreaming over that 6 speed V160 one day...Ohhhhh....

I win some and I lose some Justen but they always try... Just maybe I can take you out you Justin 0-60mph on a good day so take it easy there chief...However, I need a new tranny first as mine just gave up the ghost again the other day..:sleeping1: .Justin since we are talking a little smack I am sure I can get you out of the blocks so take it easy when you talk to me :smokin: (as Tony Montana would say).....Hense turbo 6 banger against Nitrous run V8...

Man, I am wearing out this turbo lag thing....

Yes a properly fitted turbo won't have too much if any lag as said in the above post...Infact, I personally think a properly fitted turbo is the best possible setup for an SC400/Soarer equiped with a good stall rate torque converter and the automatic tranny... We are just talking here fellas, no need to get hostile...I give turbo's big props...

Who runs a turbo 6 banger???

Your posts change their tune more often than you change your undies Jibbby which makes your point hard to follow :)

All good though mate, some sense coming thru it the last couple.

For some reason Justen I thought you were running a 2JZ twin turb in your ride... I just rembered you got the TT 1uz.... sporting right around 400whp or so....Is that right?

Yeah, I can't remember the last time I changed my underwear, I just turn them inside out and reverse the skid mark action.... Just kidding... I am glad you approve of my last couple of posts Justen, I am not that far off now am I?

Curious - Justen is your twin turbo's setup and fitted properly? How's your lowend grunt from idle? As it stands the 1uz's have decent N/A torque and you should be adequate enough until spoolage, I am sure you are good regardless...

Clutch abuse is a silly argument. If you are drag racing seriously you arE abusing the clutch no matter what power adder you use. It is the clutchs JOB to slip to allow engine speed and vehicle speed to come to terms with eachother.

Attachments

• 1024x768.jpg
    1024x768.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 1280x1024 lo.jpg
    1280x1024 lo.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 1600x1200.jpg
    1600x1200.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 1280x1024 Hi.jpg
    1280x1024 Hi.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 3
  • 800x799.jpg
    800x799.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 800x800.jpg
    800x800.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 11
I not so sure about that boosted...

Here is an example - I use to own the 90 model 300zx twin turbo's and those little z's were absolute dogs out of the blocks... In order to get a good launch you would have to ride that clutch to spool at a stand still..In doing so I went thru clutchs much faster then normal on those cars...I did that on two of them... Definetely premature clutch wearout on those rides..

Needless to say those twins would always lose boost after roasting them continuously due to overheating or something..Then fixing them cost a small fortune....Granted turbo's have come a long way in 10 years or so, you can see how I can be a little negative about some turbo applications... Just didn't appreciate all that turbo lag time in those 300z's.....Also just loving the lowend immediate grunt in my SC400....

If you aren't launching close to your peak powerband then you probably aren't getting out of the hole as fast as you could.

If you are wearing your clutch then you need a better clutch.

The issue with turbo cars is its easy to make twice or three times the factory designed power, and you tend to have smallish discs and pressure plates in the Japanese cars especially.

But that means you upgrade - Feramic or Carbon clutches have great power holding characteristics and are way more wear resistant.

Go to an NHRA race - they have 6000HP and the biggest blowers you've ever seen, but you won't catch them launching at idle.

Just maybe I can take you out you Justin 0-60mph on a good day so take it easy there chief... .Justin since we are talking a little smack I am sure I can get you out of the blocks so take it easy when you talk to me :smokin: ...

Jibby, I love you man...Now Where is my Budweiser...:happysad: Just a few thoughts, Remember, Justen's car is a retro fitted V8TT in that Celica...And his car is a Bad-to-the-bone ride...His car is also lighter than yours...I question if you could take him out of the hole at all, because if he launches correctly, and I am sure he knows how to, He's got power and torque on take off...Loads of it come on extremely quickly...

Ryan

Plus look at production turbo cars - Nissan GTR - 0-60 in 3.8 second. Porsche 911 turbo 0-60 in 3.9ish seconds.

Those are not numbers that indicate any kind of lag or sluggishness off the line.

For some reason Justen I thought you were running a 2JZ twin turb in your ride... I just rembered you got the TT 1uz.... sporting right around 400whp or so....Is that right?

Yeah, I can't remember the last time I changed my underwear, I just turn them inside out and reverse the skid mark action.... Just kidding... I am glad you approve of my last couple of posts Justen, I am not that far off now am I?

Curious - Justen is your twin turbo's setup and fitted properly? How's your lowend grunt from idle? As it stands the 1uz's have decent N/A torque and you should be adequate enough until spoolage, I am sure you are good regardless...

Less posting, more reading Jibbby :)

Try 530+rwhp :)

Yup twins. Set up right? matter of opinion i guess, how's this pic look to you?

ToymodsCruiseKiama004.jpg

Full boost at 2500rpm in the higher gears and you get good load. Can get good boost off the line too but no point as just frys the treads and that's with a 2.9:1 diff. I just launch around 4000 and try to balance traction on the clutch.....0-62mph in 3.7 sec...seems to work :1244:

Justen, you really need to take it easy on your comments your slightly insulting my intellegence, well not really but still come on "more reading and less posting"......How about more posting and less reading, how do you like me now? Just maybe I read enough already....:22:

Dudes, I got Justen out of the blocks for sure, also I am not impressed with all the eewing and awing over Justens ride....... Fellas, my SC4 is heavy and grips, plus it farts out a hell of alot of torque to boot... Man, my front tires almost lift off the ground at launch, I will spank him in the first 10 feet of the race for sure......Ha Ha......:alcoholic:

SC400TT, glad I can get a chuckle out of you..These guys are far too serious all the time, somebody needs to be a clown once in a while...

Jibby...

Justen's car walks on your from the first inch onward. He has more power, less weight, and a talented left and right foot to maximize launch. 0-60mph in under four seconds with a 2.9:1 rear end is disturbingly impressive.

There is no doubt your car will pull on a 99% of the UZ-engined vehicles on the roadways today; but, Justens car is among the 1% that will walk on you out of the gates. Heck, his car is among the fastest Toyota V8 street cars on the planet.

It is not about being too serious or trying to be insult your knowledge of cars. It is just about being real. Even Ryan has "bow down" respect for Justen's Celica. It is just that (insert jawdroppingly amazing adjective here) of a car.

Justen, you really need to take it easy on your comments your slightly insulting my intellegence, well not really but still come on "more reading and less posting"......How about more posting and less reading, how do you like me now? Just maybe I read enough already....:22:

Dudes, I got Justen out of the blocks for sure, also I am not impressed with all the eewing and awing over Justens ride....... Fellas, my SC4 is heavy and grips, plus it farts out a hell of alot of torque to boot... Man, my front tires almost lift off the ground at launch, I will spank him in the first 10 feet of the race for sure......Ha Ha......:alcoholic:

SC400TT, glad I can get a chuckle out of you..These guys are far too serious all the time, somebody needs to be a clown once in a while...

All said with a smile Jibbby...you'll know when you're getting flamed :)

As for the kind words from everybody else...much appreciated. I built the GT8 for me but can't deny a sense of satisfaction that it also appeals to so many others....as a mildly amusing anecdote, the year it was unvealed at the National Toyota Meet, i was answering questions for 5 hrs straight with no break, i **** you not. A coupla mates were bringing me beers to keep me going and come time when i could hang on no longer i watered a nearby tree for 3 minutes non stop :)

It's been a while since I've been flamed.. I felt a little heat on this thread..It felt good....Cheers...

Dudes.........Seriously speaking, I hung with a brand new Z06 out of the blocks....Need I say more?

I simply don't get spanked out of the blocks..I can't remember the last time I was behind out of the blocks in a race.. That's honestly speaking..After that is a different story at times....I got soft fat rubber, a good torque converter and Nitrous, Mr. Justen does not.. Bring it!!!!!!

Need I remind you guys I got sick torque and just wasted another built tranny, and it's my second one to go in less then two years...I've even wasted a driveshaft, broke a spindle once and sent the rear wheel flying, etc.... I break stuff, Justen does not...

Don't get me started....

Guys I know Justen's ride will spank me so relax it's all good... I am sure though I would make it respectable I would hope......:swordfight:

It's all good Justen I am just messing around with ya....

Dudes.........Seriously speaking, I hung with a brand new Z06 out of the blocks....Need I say more?

I simply don't get spanked out of the blocks..I can't remember the last time I was behind out of the blocks in a race.. That's honestly speaking

Really? Lets see some time slips. I want to see this amazing 60 foot you must have.

Let's get off my car because my car is dead..RIP.. I'll get on those time slips if I ever get the car rolling again under the full nitrous load.....No tranny no car, and there is a chance I may not drive this car at it's peak power levels again...(stock tranny install coming up)..I cannot run my current power on a stock SC400 tranny even with a cooler....It won't last a week...So this is all crap talk for me.....It's been a blast while it lasted though and I am grateful I still have my drivers liscense intact.......

So let's get back on subject...Let me see the thread started as Supercharger vs. Turbo - off the line results...

What have we discussed so far - Root, centrifigal, turbo's and Nitrous... The turbo guys think their turbo's are the greatest, Some root charger guys like the chargers (myself included) So what boost application would deliver the best off the line effect?

Fellas, the turbo's aren't going to do it for the best off the line results...The turbo car may win the race in the end but for strictly off the line launch results you need to be very talented with your clutch and throttle, unless you have big engine displacement and liter size to give you enough N/A power and instant throttle response from idle until spoolage.. ... Right or Wrong?...

Root charger and Nitrous will give the best blast off power regardless of engine size to some degree...If you can keep the traction intact...Right or Wrong?

Centrifigal charger - Is much like a turbo as it is not run off the engine crank...Therefore you will not get instant boost from idle... So this falls in the turbo catigory...

Now in conclusion and to answer the thread question a root charger would be your best option for direct off the line excelleration and power from idle...Nitrous (progressive) while it isn't practical absolutely gives you the most power from idle and off the line blast offs..... That is my take.....

PS.. Variable vane turbo's are the exception...

One of the many funny things about your argument is I just got an e-mail from a buddy with a lightly modified Supra TT (still on stock turbos) that ran a 1.52 60 foot and 7.02 second 1/8th mile last night.

Superchargers have no significant advantage off the line over turbos. You want proof - look at the outlaw drag racing classes where turbos are permitted. TONS of cars pulling the front wheels with turbos as the power adder.

Say hello to my little friend....:AR15firing: mycarpossessme :1244: :684: :loser:

Getting a little funky with the symbols...Creative though wouldn't you say?

Boosted,

Simple logic suggests turbo's run off the exhaust flow..In order to get enough exhaust flow the engine must turn and turn fast..Hense turbo lag... Root superchargers run off the crank of the motor itself.. So when the motor turns so does the supercharger creating no lag and instant boost... So which setup would deliver more lowend torque and power? I believe it would be the supercharger..

Please correct me if I am a wrong...