Finally running (sort of)!

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Zuffen

Super Moderator
Staff member
After a few years of amassing parts and having an engine assembled mine is now running.

It has the following:
8.5:1 compression
Argo rods
Ross pistons
Kellford cams
heavilly ported heads
ARP fasteners
Richwood manifold with separate 8 rib drive
Autorotor twin screw supercharger
mandrel exhaust all the way to the rear, and it's too loud!
440 RX7 injectors
Custom flywheel that weighs over 12kg.
Autronic ECU
Snow Performance water/meth injection
plus a lot of stuff that seems to cost a lot and do very little.

I have it running reasonably well but will send it off for a tune during the week.

Once it has the initial tune I'll then send it off to the dyno.

THe problems to date have been the moron who set up the ECU set it up for 250cc injectors and I run 440's. It ran so rich I've fouled 5 sets of spark plugs. I'm getting very good at changing them! It still misses above 2,500rpm.

The engine builder has left me with an oil leak in the cam drive (I can't spot where from) but I suspect the crank seal is leaking so I hope to give it to him to fix. Removing my engine is like giving birth. The engine bay has to dilate prior to the engine coming out.

Considering the only unmodified parts left on the car are the 8 shock absorbers and rear lower trailing arms I'm pretty happy it has gone so well.

I'll update with some figures when to hand.

Bravo Rod!

Why is it these ECU "guru's" that seem to know it all, can't even get the basics right sometimes?

(BTW, for anyone contemplating using an AEM, you could do a LOT worse than MitchP right on this board. I've used and paid for other "highly regarded" AEM tuners besides Mitch, and had results similar to Zuffen's. Mitch has probably forgotten more about the AEM than most of the other tossers will ever know.)

Rod, I nearly p*ssed myself when I read this. Definitely signature material for you:
Removing my engine is like giving birth. The engine bay has to dilate prior to the engine coming out.

Excellent work Rod!

Long time in coming. So close and yet still just out of reach... but at least it is running. Definitely looking forward to the future reports.

I feel like a Pizza delivery boy. I can smell it but I can't taste it!

I figure its taken 4 years so far so another couple of weeks won't kill me.

Anyway Christmas is in 3 weeks so it can be my present to myself.

Great to hear Rod....pity about the coupla glitches but easily resolved.

Patience seems to be the best trait to have in a mechanic....seems to drop in direct proportion with their popularity. If you find a talented one who stays level headed look after him :)

Just on the rear seal. They appear pretty sensitive to blow-by so make sure you get as good a breather setup going up top as you can to vent crankcase gases.

Do you set an injector size in their software? I thought you just have a fuel master and table to fine tune? If so you could drop the master a few points. At least stop the bore wash.

We dropped 40% out of the fuel and its still away too rich.

It can foul a set of plugs in less than 10 minutes. I carry a set of plugs with me when I drive it around the block in case it decides they need changing.

I'm looking for someone to tune it at the moment.

Dennis from Grim Performance in Hornsby is looking into it now and Brett (Cobra) gave me a lead today.

I plan on letting the guy who supplied the ECU have a play and see if he can get it running half OK then I can drop it to the dyno.

I would like a couple of hundred K's on it before the dyno session.

The engine runs two 3/4" vents to a catch can then back into the inlet tract before the t/b.

You can tell the autronic quite easily what injectors you have Rod...have a scroll thru the software yourself.

SAS are prob the best bet for the tune....it won't be cheap but by all accounts it'll be decent and safe.

We're pulling the front off the motor on Wednesday.

It has an oil leak somewhere in the cam drive and I suspect the crank seal is leaking.

Looks like the engine builder (it wasn't Grim Performance) will have to pick up the tab on this one.

I just removed the grill, radiator, driving lights, blower drive etc to allow access. Looks like I'll have to reassemble all that myself as no one else knows how it goes together.

Booked in for a tune next Tuesday so hopefully I'll be driving it for Christmas.

Congrats! Finally running. I'll believe you'll have it running to its full potential shortly. Fixing some minor glitches is usually the case when the engine just got alive after a build-up. I also have a few glitches to fix on my engine such as the coolant leak (probably the heater hose), the CEL due to dirty 02 sensors, and the exhaust leak. Can you post some pictures of the engine and the car?

Scott,

I think your Avatar and Signature pictures and mine are somewhat unique. You have a supercharger sitting in the engine bay and the JIC body kit on the car. I have a turbo and also the JIC kit. Black and white boosted SCs..

Zuffen,
Sorry for the little disturbance.

Once dyno'd I'll post up photos of the completed engine and the dyno slip/

I don't expect big figures as the Nissan transmission eats power as does the diff. The diff is bigger than a 9"!

Rod,

Well done on getting your baby running. A few tweaks is not that un usual after so many mods. Bummer on the oil leaks, could be from around the oil pump.

I can smell that Pizza from here.

Attachments

• HPIM0407b.JPG
    HPIM0407b.JPG
    145.7 KB · Views: 262
  • Picture%20104.jpg
    Picture%20104.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 266
  • HPIM0435b.JPG
    HPIM0435b.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 260
  • HPIM0449.JPG
    HPIM0449.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 261
In order,

I chose the Nissan 4.2 GU 5 speed (later version) as it is real strong and had the correct transfer for the axles I'm running. The gear ratios won't be all that good for my use as first is very low but with my torque I'll just start in second.

Cobber,

The leak was from the camshafts. They'tre hollow and Kelford's hadn't blocked the end of them and the sprocket bolts weren't sealing 100% so the oil leaked out. Hopefully fixed now but pretty annoying.

The least they could have done was warn purshasers that the cams needed sealing.

The truck is stuck on the trailer now as its given up starting due to the nasty tune in the ECU. Quikfit Motorsport in Hornsby have caused an enormous amount of work through their inability to give me a useable tune. Certainly wouldn't suggest anyone else use them.