Finally running (sort of)!

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Rod, you must have been sick when the grit flew in to the motor. This build and rebuild has really been an exercise in perseverance, hasn't it?

At least you stayed with the shim over bucket setup, so when the shims got mixed up, it wasn't a total disaster, as it would have been with a shim under setup.

Did you install extra drive pins for your cams? Would really like to see those if you have pics?

Great news Rod (apart from the last minute hiccup). Rest assured that the porting can't have hurt :)

I'm about to embark on my own grunter rebuild...a little bit different approach to yours but hopefully it all goes smoothly.

John,

It was enough to turn a man to drink, except this car's already done that.

Mixing up the shims was sort of funny.

Sometimes you struggle to get the bucket in or out of the head and then you tip the head on its side and hear "clunk, clunk, clunk" as the buckets land in the parts washer. I couldn't believe they had fallen out ofter all the work. I guess the assembly lube is sliperier (is that a word?) than I thought.

I think I felt worse when the buckets dropped than with the grit. The grit was easy to wash out but the buckets meant resetting one whole head.

Justen,

Post up your build as it moves forward. I know your engineering will be nicer than mine!

The sad part is looking at the engine sitting on the floor it could be any old 1UZ. It doesn't look anything special without the exhausts and intake.

like an ugly woman though, they can look better from behind ;)
my fav shot of the old engine:

engine_build_dec08_0008.jpg

Time for another update.

The engine is now back in the car.

I spent today squeezing the intercooler into the engine bay. Well half ina nd half out. Once I get the intermediat section built (which I expect to take a while as I need to build it piece by piece to see it all fits in.

I need to have one header modified as one pipe was installe din such a way that it robs me of 2" suspension travel and down the track that will be most valuable to me.

I spent a day last week reshaping the firewall to accept the taller engine.

I have the intercooler radiator mounted and the pump is mounted "in my mind" as I can see how I plan on doing it, now I need to do it.

I expect to be running in around 4 weeks but then the truck is now unroadworthy due to the new rules so I need to make some more changes to stay on the road.

I think it's all worth it.

John C,

Sorry I never responded on the cam drive pins.

We redrilled the cam sproket and fitted a roll pin with another roll pin inside it.

It looks much stronger than the original.

I actually think the original was broken when the leaking camshafts were being sealed up.

Contrary to what Kelford's say my cams don't have any blocking plug in the front of them.

The engine finally ran for the first time this afternoon.

I'm still waiting for two intercooler pipes to be made but I used poly stormwater pipes as ghetto intercooler pipes.

The supercharger is now much louder as the poly pipe doesn't hold the sound in too well. It also gets soft fairly quickly.

It's a great feeling turning the key and having it run when you assembled the whole engineyourself. Most satisfying.

The engine was finished in July and I've spent the last 6 months waiting on parts that were being made specifically for this engine.

My wife asked me why I wasn't opening the champagne?

Hopefully I'll have the interccoler pipes next week so the car can go off to the tuners.

Woohoo Rod - Finally!

Hopefully the pace will pick up a bit now for you.

Refresh our memories, was this a complete rebuild due to the oil burning & detonation, or was it just a top end job?

Full last nut and bolt rebuild and every single one done by me. I guess that means it's my fault if it fails!

We did a lot more porting plus some trick valve seat work.

We used another block so the bore clearances were reduced to .002thou and the and mains were taken to .0015thou.

We actually used 2 sets of bearings as one main was a little tight so we sourced some oversized bearigs to get the one we needed.

The engine also has the new W2A intercooler on it which seems to reduce the almost too hot to hold onto inlet pipe into a cool pipe after the intercooler.

Lastly we did a lot of welding and grinding on the maniflod so all ports are the same size. Combined with the inlet pipe into the manifold distribution should be much better.

I'll post up some photos once the ghetto pipes are replaced.

Nice, now lets see this baby perform :) inspiration for my own rebuild that seems to have stalled recently and may also tip the decision to definitely go SC for the new track setup?

Can't wait to see/hear the dyno!

So what size injectors did you decide to use?

And did you keep your original 6 or 8 rib dedicated drive for the SC?

Justen,

I'll do my best to get it on the dyno within a couple of weeks. I need to do a few other things before the dyno. One is a high pinion conversion in the rear to ease drive shaft angles.

John,

I'm running RX7 440cc (I think) maroun injectors and I retained the dedicated 8 rib belt as we never had any slippge problems when running 22.5psi.

Well done Rod,

It's always a good feeling to tighten your own nuts:eek:

I think the RX7's are 460's, I'm running 7MGTE 440's and they are running 0.73% duty cycle at idle and 53% at 7,000 rpm running 11psi and around 290 rwkw, std fuel reg and pressure.

pictures, pictures, pictures please.

Good luck with the rest of the assembly and the dyno.

This morning I posted the supercharger off to Richwood Technologies as it seized during the initial run I gave it. This would explain why it was so noisy.

It appears it has ingested a piece of swarf during my numerous trial fits to get it all under the bonnet.

Whilst its apart I'll take the opportunity to instal an oil filler on the other cam cover as one of the intercooler pipes covered the existing filler. You can't swap the covers over as the spark plug covers won't fit anymore.

I'm also doing some work on one of the pipes on the splitter plate as I wasn't 100% happy with it flow potential.

I figure the little amount of alloy that passed through the engine shouldn't be too critical. I spent quite awhile this afternoon with a good engine an discussing the problem.