Corrola GTS + Lexus V8= Fun!

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

chrisman

hi guys, i was able to get some pics of the corrola im working on--i had mentioned in some other threads.. its an early in the process shot, but it looks so right--i wanted to get the pic posted..
i can give some general comments-- yes it does fit.. the mounts need very little fabing to get the motor in and bolted..
i am using a front sump-LS400 donor engine..
this car will also get 2 turbos, it will run the lexus auto..it will require moderate fabrication. the trans tunnel may be a challange--he, he,,...
i am making a ford rear end housing for it..
it is going to be a street car--and it should really boogie.. i will try and keep pics comming along with info..
this car is going to be a shop car..but dont be surprised if you see me driving it around the chicagoland area.....btw, it is an 1987 rear wheel drive corrola gts..

for us aussies, it's an ae86 sprinter/levin/trueno... sprinter version was released here and levin and trueno version's have flooded in from japan....

btw, this conversion has already been done and i remember the owner posting a thread, so you might be able to contact him if you run into any probs..... he is located in Canberra, Australia, if i remember correctly....

it should be heaps of fun to drive afterwards.... just wondering though, are you worried about the weight distribution???? coilovers up front to fix it?

anyhow, i too have an ae86 sprinter, but it has a series 5 13b turbo rotary engine in it... just got engineered on monday, and registered the day afterwards, hehe... good luck and have fun.

hi r-jay.. thanks for the info on the previous ae-86 conversion.. it will be funn to see if we end up solving some of the problems that will arise in the same way.. im gonna do some searching and see what i find..

you guys in Aus always get things done--.. the market must be great for doing all types of conversions..
the wieght dist. maybe a prob, il have to wait and see.. but i almost cant wait to finish this thing-- just driving it should be a blast--
on the outside id like to keep it looking kinda plain--surprise some guys, and try and keep from getting any unwanted attention--especially from the local authorities..

chrisman said:
hi r-jay.. thanks for the info on the previous ae-86 conversion.. it will be funn to see if we end up solving some of the problems that will arise in the same way.. im gonna do some searching and see what i find..

you guys in Aus always get things done--.. the market must be great for doing all types of conversions..
the wieght dist. maybe a prob, il have to wait and see.. but i almost cant wait to finish this thing-- just driving it should be a blast--
on the outside id like to keep it looking kinda plain--surprise some guys, and try and keep from getting any unwanted attention--especially from the local authorities..

Chrisman,
This looks like being (to put it mildly) a weapon!

A couple of things to point out. IIRC, the bloke who did the 1UZ into Sprinter conversion here did a manual gearbox, and also reported the handling being quite reasonable afterwards (considering what was hanging over the front wheels, anyway!) The 1UZ, being all alloy, doesn't penalise quite as much as a cast-iron V8 would; I think about 175kgs (385lbs) is what you would factor in for the 1UZ's weight.

As for keeping it stock looking, I'd suggest you will need some serious brakes to stop the thing (and, hence, decent wheels to cover them).

Anyway, good luck with it. Done the way you're suggesting, I doubt that much will get near it in a straight line!

if you take a look in the top forum under "bad day today" you will see my ae86 in it's dead state from what happened today.....

very very upset... all that work for nothing.....

at least your well enough to talk about it.. -- your health is more important right now.. get yourself checked out.. .. you can still say you finished the ae/rotory and got it on the road..you never know--maybe youl put another one together..just let your body heal up-- so you can take on some more projects..

more progress today.. the trans is in, but i ended up cuting the tunnel out of the car to do it.. i am using the automatic..the floor/tunnel of the car is wide enough, but the upper part of the tunnel was just to tight..
i will make a trans-tunnel cover-so that its removeable.. getting the trans in and out should be relatively easy then..
i did make a temp trans mount to locate the trans and hold it in place..now that i have the trans in the middle of the tunnel, and the driveshaft is straight, i can work toward the front of the car.. i will make the engine mounts next..that should go rather quickly..but i need to make sure i leave room for the 3 inch down pipes that will be on each side..it looks like there is room for them..
for guys who would just go NA,as opposed to the twin turbo i am, there is plenty of room for headers going back.. i also was carefull to look at the floor of the car-from undernieth.. there is room to run 2 muffs and 3 inch pipe all the way back,over the axle and out..
now that the trans is in, it looks like i can take the existing driveshaft and shorten it--which is what i may do.. to get the car roling.. that would give me more time to get the other rear end ready.. anyway, i am bablin again.. i will keep everyone posted..

heres a pic of the header on the drivers side.. its not done yet, but close.. also, you should also be able to see the engine mount-- it looks kinda big, but thats cause the front side is welded to the front of the crossmember..-i think you can also see the 3 inch tube resting on the mount--thats there so i make sure i have room for the downpipe and exhaust that goes to the back, from the front mount turbo..

yea the tranny looks big--but the tunnel was wide enough, just not high enough..--
maybe il leave it open, you shift the trans by reaching over and grabbing the shifter with your hand..ha,ha,...--
i could put some padding on it and people can sit on it-- for a ride..ha, ha,.. he.

sprinter trd-- excelent to see you here on lextreme.. i didnt realize you were here.. i did see that thread thanks to bill sherwood at club 4ag.. i wish the thread was longer.. id like to see more of that car..

im gonna check out the vid, i hope there sound..

peewee- the engine came from a LS400.. i think a 93.. i thought/think its the front sump..maybee it looks dif in the pic..

sprinter trd-- that was awesome--the sound especially!!.its a little confusing to hear that sprinter roar like that-- im not used to it.. the third pass seems the fastest.. 215k-- isnt that about 130 mph? you have a 5 speed, dont you?..
have you been able to get it to a dragstrip?
and have you weighed the car with the new setup-v8?
just hearing it makes me want to get back to work so i can work on it.
.-again, glad to see you around here..

heres a today pic of the turbo getting located.. i know the thing isnt clocked yet, but its a general pic of how the turbo will be fit..
the turbo is a t3-t4 turbonetics supra upgraded turbo..there is one around from a revious project.. the other still needs ordering..but i like these-- they should be ok for moving enough air..

V8 into sprinter

I dont know where my motor came from but it is a front sump type. It only took me around 6 weeks to do the whole conversion.

My conversion didnt require any cutting of the body although i did modify the radiator support to get a bigger radiator in. For the engine mounts I used ones from a V12 jag and just made the bit between the rubber and engine, so the front cross member is standard AE86. To make the engine fit a little better and to keep the weight low in the car I lowered the crossmember 18mm. I then moved the lower arms up around 10mm and out 15mm to get around 1/2 deg neg on the front wheels.

The reason I only have so little neg is that I used a RA 40 strut which has a different stub angle compared to the 86 one. I can use different lower arms which are around 15mm longer and strut tower adjusters.

The car weighs 650KG on the front wheels and 550KG on the back with 3/4 tank fuel in it.

I had a lot of fun at the island I didnt expect it to go around corners to well due to the lack of neg on the front and no development of the suspension, I absolutely destroyed the edges of the front wheels and I was only comming onto the front straight at 136k's!

At 215K the engine was doing around 6000 rpm I will try to post data from a lap around the island.