Corrola V8 thread..

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

chrisman

hi guys--anything new and exciting?.. well,, i thought since i will be slowly getting the v8 corrola together, i might as well post pics of the "diabolical" stuff im making for it..:mischievo . it will be spread over the next month or so,, but it should be interesting enough..
for those guys who have just heard of this car,, its an 1987 corrola gts-- thats now getting a toyota twin turbo v8.. its a shop car, so i will be using alot of stuff i have lying around the shop--its cheaper this way..:approve: or, i will need to make the stuff..its funner this way..
i had previously made mounts in the chassis,, and the motor fits fine,, and the trans and driveshaft were also in and finallized.. so out came the motor for the build, and parts i will need..
heres a pic of the intake manifold im making.. it has a rather large throttle body-90 mm-used from another project, and the rest im making as i go along.. remember that this will be a street car at about 1000 hp, so i decided to "again" run 2 sets of 8 injectors--one set for gas, one for methonal.. the second set(methonal) is only for boost..
feel free to "dis" the thing-- debate is good for progress..
also,, the original toyota rear end can not survive for almost any spirited driving,, so i have chosen to use an old domestic( to the US) rear end.. its an old chrysler-dana 60.. again,, this was lying around the shop-used.. il also attach a pic of this.. it is a spool, and has provisions for suspension and stuff, and was cut -shortened- years ago,, and also has some descent axles and brakes.. i am very confident that it will handle anything the engine can make,, especially in the relatively light corrola..
il also attach a pic of the diff..
anyway,, il keep posting any progress..-if i could find anything else around the shop that i might be able to use..:approve: :approve:

i think that DIFF will help the front/rear weight balance LOL.
sounds good, have you got a pic of the car? i like the idea of a corolla not sure if the US has same as us Aussies for year models.
thanks Dean

il try postic a pic or 2 ..-i cant repost some of the pics i already did,, so this is one ihavnt posted before..these are the ae86 cars--rear wheel drive.. i know there was one done in either new zealand or australia a while back.. i think the owner worked for motec--i believe.. anyway,,..

How much space do you have between your rack and your oil pan/girdle? I looking at about 3/4". I'm currently 2.5" from the bottom of the oil pan to the ground at ride height! I plan to take an inch from the sump and an inch from the pickup.

hi,, i have a pic,, but its blurry--of course.. i believe it was close like you said,, but cleared.. as for the oil pan to ground,, it sat level with the crossmember.. the original intake plenum cleared the hood--but barely.. but i am making a new intake for this car,, so i will now have more clearance between hood and motor..

That's a mighty nice rear end there Chris and i'm glad to see those runners being put to good use!
Thumbs down on that TB :mischievo

:veryhappy i know--the throttlbody is almost to big,,but, i got a great deal on it--and at least i will know that i wont need a bigger one..

That t/B looks like it will pass right through the front waterbridge.

Are you planning on using any bellmouths on the runners? I noticed in an early photo you'd sliced the tube with a saw. I feel it will need some transmission between the sides of the plenum and the runners to assist airflow otherwise you'll get severe turbulance at the edges of the runners.

you crazy SOB !

looks great - man i love wild conversions.

i'm looking at a similar conversion into a KE70 - basically a 4door sprinter. i'll be following this thread closely.

got engine mount / gearbox mount pics at all?

hi zuffen,, no, i wont be using bellmouths..mostly because i would have to make them..argh..
i was able to get the runners-which are tapered and for a 2jz- from a friend who has them made.. ive made belmouths before,, but by hand they are a pain--SO,, i decided to compromise between what i would like, and what i can make without to much trouble, and what would work in this car-corolla..
i will say this,, even though ive done valve jobs on these heads before,, i have nevcer paid a great deal of attention to the port shape,, and i just recently SEEN something i hadnt noticed before.. i think its for creating turbulance in the combustion chamber.. they tend to have more of a straight shot at one of the valves opposed to both.. what im trying to say is that if you consider the fuel injector as the center of the port, you will see that you can see one valve much more than the other.. i am assuming they are doing this to create turbulance in the chamber--better emissions..
so i have decided to change the port shape and have a more "straight shot" of air at the valves.. now this involves removing alot of material and changing the shape of the intake gasket--and i would like to make it clear that i am NOT recomending that anyone else should do this..but,, after looking at it for a while,, i think i might be able to get alot more air into the cylinder---MAYBEE,,, stay tuned..
lastly,, i think one of the four ports in each head is different somehow from the other three.. anyway,, its worth taking a look into it anyway..

pro240c--i do have a few pics somewhere,, truth be told, so far it was easier that i thought.. i was originally worried about making the steering work,, but i dont need to touch it.. but you will need the sump/engine from an LS400..

chrisman said:
pro240c--i do have a few pics somewhere,, truth be told, so far it was easier that i thought.. i was originally worried about making the steering work,, but i dont need to touch it.. but you will need the sump/engine from an LS400..

i'd love a looksie if you happen to stumble across them at all.

you can just PM me for email or post them - whatever's easiest.

keep it up dude. love the work!

The offset of the ports is balanced with the stock runners, as I'm sure you'd noticed; sounds like a good plan to port out in order to support a symetrical runner like you have made. Are you going to need a mailbox style hood-scoop?
The divider in the port can be shaped to be more like the nose of a fighter jet, and less like that of a professional boxer, if you haven't already looked at that feature.

hi scv8,, this car-corolla is getting turboed--so no hood scoop..:veryhappy i think you may be refering tothe intake being to large to fit under the hood.. this intake is actually not as tall as the stock one.. i think zuffen had mentioned that the "water bridge" is missing--..because i removed it for now, and have other plans,, but this gave me some room to fit the large TB--all while keeping overall height down..

and you are correct,, the runners are now more of a symmetric type.. i was worried about removing the aluminum in the head to vastly "open up" the ports,, but so far i have not gone into any water passages..BUT,, i still have alot of metal to remove,, so i may end up ruining the head..
i also mentioned that 1 of the 4 ports is different from the other 3.. on the drivers side,, the first one is different from the rest,, and on the pass side the last port is different from the other 3..
i have not seen any reason for that,, but,, maybe someone else has some insight as to why..
and i will try and shape the divider as you sugested,, like a fighter jet nose..

id also like to mention that alot of the reason for shape of the intake manifold, the way im making it, is because i need it to handle boost pressures of about 40 psi.. it could have been more of a "BOX" type,, but from experience large "flat" panels tend to flex in and out,, and eventually ballon and even crack.. so in an attempt to keep this from happenning,, i have tried to make the intake, less likely to flex and crack at the intended 40 psi i need for 1000 hp..

Hi Chrisman,
I'd be interested to know your water bridge plans. I plan not tto use the original waterpump or bridge in my drag engine but building a cam pulley on an custom engine plate that may also house the oil pump, if I choose not to go with a dry sump.

Nath

hi nath,, i will need to keep my water pump,,but as for the front "water bridge "betweeen the 2 heads,, i will probably just have some hose that comes forward, and then meets for the rad hose,, also, im not sure, but i think some of the water goes back into the pump and recirculates-depending on the thermastat.. --but i will need to look further into how toyota intended the water to circulate before i commit myself to any welding/plans..

hey chris im highly considering doing this same thing to my corolla, currently i am in the process of setting up the chassis and have not bought a motor for the car yet, i was planning a 3sgte but it seems the 1uzfe is a better choice due to weight and power curve. anyhow it looks like you are quite a few months ahead of me, so im watching your project.
but i was wondering what you did for transmission, mounts, and if you could post some more pics of the motor in the engine bay to get a better idea of how well it fits. thanks.