1UZFE into V6 4Runner with Wolf 3D

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

twisty_toy94

1UZFE into V6 4Runner

Hi All,

First off, what a great forum!! There is so much hell info on here!!

Since the beginning of this year I've been getting the V6 (3vze) in my 94 4Runner ready to be turbo charged, and after having everything just about done (WOLF 3D, Turbo, 3" mandrel exhaust, 430cc injectors, Water to Air I/C, Garret T3 Ballbearing Turbo etc..) my V6 has started to sh!t itself due to a tuning error on the original tune of the WOLF, bugger!! I'm really dissapointed the tuner didn't pick up on the detonation, the motor still runs fine, but blows heaps of oil and smoke out of the crank case breathers (they aren't connected to the intake), it also has a lot of strange rattles and ticking noises while running, and seems to ping no matter how much timing you take out or fuel you add??

Anyway to get to the point the V6 turbo option is scrapped if favour of a 1UZ transplant, which I think will be a sh!tload better anyway, and a lot more reliable. I've been trying to get as much info as possible the last couple of weeks, but just have some questions.

1. Does anyone know what sump will be needed for the 1UZ to suit the 4Runner IFS suspension? or will the sump have to be modified either way?

2. I've seen the prices for the kits (from Guts's posts on Outerlimits) to bolt up to my R150F 5 speed and was wondering if I need all the clutch assembly, since I have an Uncle who works ar KB Auto so I can get all the clutch stuff for cost price, which will save a fair phew dollars, so I'd just get the Bell housing, pilot bearing, pivot ball and flywheel from Castlemain Rod Shop or Dellows. Or also can the new Safari Tuff clutch I just put in for the turbo conversion be used??

3. I also have a mate that can do radiators for me for cost price. Would my std. V6 radiator cope with cooling the V8, or should I get a new custom one??

4. I had a 3" mandrel bent exhuast fitted with highflow cat etc.. for the turbo conversion. This should be fine with the new motor too? modified to suit anyway?

5. I wired up the WOLF 3D on my V6 and am pretty sure I'll be fine to do it on the V8, is the wireup all staright foward, or is there any tricks to this motor?? Also 400ZED, I seen you were offering to send someone your the maps of your WOLF, any chance I could get a copy of them when I'm ready?? I'm not too keen on having the same guy that tuned my V6 do this one, as I'd like to keep this motor.

I think that's it for now, sorry if people have asked any of these questios before. I've seached this forum and a phew others before posting this and haven't been able to find the info.

Any other info you guys have got would be great too!!

Ok, I'll try to answer a few.
Sump- sorry dont no.
Gearbox conversion stuff- sounds like you have that sorted .
Clutch- really only pressure plate bolt up that could cause a problem, that said there is more chance that it will fit than not as toyota use a fairley standard bolt pattern.
Pressure plate height is another issue but once again will probably be ok.
I have a CRS flywheel and it comes drilled to suit a hylux pressure plate.
Radiator- Dunno but with a mate that can do custom for cost go the custom.
Exhaust- sweet, possibly go for duel cats though unless your 3inch is really good.
Wolf - cant help even though I have 1 but I'm twin turbo not up and running yet either.
Just my personal opinions, hope its some help.

Cheers Trev

mycarhasposessedme-
That Hilux pressure plate, is it the V6 or the 4 Cyl. Trying to found out if its the same as the T100, 4runner, tacoma, etc here in the states. Thanks!
Eric

As far as I know it matches the V6 & 3L Turbo Deisel, I'll attach a pic of the flywheel with measurements. Also 2jzge, 7mge and 3sgte also have the same pressure plate bolt set out with similar height and the same clutch plate size and spline (21) which suits W series and R series G/boxes as in W58, R154, R150-151.

1UZFE into V6 4Runner

Thought I post a bit of an update on whats happening with my truck. I ditched the Wolf 3D in the end and got Scott at Venom to do me up a loom. I also got my flywheel done by Scott which is lighter than the Dellows flywheel, and he also made it to suit my Std. V6. clutch.

From Dellow's I got
Bell housing, pilot bearing & pivot ball- R154 large gearbox $550
Clutch fork & clip $75
Push rod $25
Thrust race & carrier $75
Which all bolted up and fitted perfectly to my gearbox.

My Daikin Safari Tuff Clutch I installed early this year behind me V6 is being modified by direct clutches to increase the clamping pressure, and once I get this back (early next week) mytruck will be going down to Widowmaker Race Engines to get the engine installed. Then I will get it back, finish off the small amount of wiring that is needed and all the little things. So hoepfully late Nov/Early Dec it will be on the road and mod plated so I can head up to Fraser Island for New Years.

Heres a some pics of my truck and other stuff.

The kit from Dellows
aaa.sized.jpg

The dollows bellhousing bolted up to my R150 gearbox.
aab.sized.jpg

aac.sized.jpg

The empty engine bay
aaj.sized.jpg

The V8 badges, off a 100series Landcruiser ($30ea.)
aak.sized.jpg

aal.sized.jpg

aag.sized.jpg

And finally the engine which I picked up off Scott from Venom yesterday.
aan.sized.jpg

aao.sized.jpg

I'll be doing the timing belt and idler's on the weekend as well as trying to pretty the whole motor up, which I will start a new thread somewhere for.

Then the fun starts

Bit of an update on my progress. After waiting 3 weeks for Direct Clutches to do my clutch I finally got it back and rang Widowmaker, who are fitting the engine for me, and as it has been for this whole project I had to wait yet another 3 weeks for them to get back from holidays. But they finally returned yesterday, so now the fun bit of the swap is finally underway!

I took all the bits and towed the truck down to them yesterday. They will be fitting it over the next phew days and modifying what ever is needed to get it to fit, so best case scenario is I'll have it back friday, but I'm guessing most likely next week sometime.

I've sorted out most of the wiring so I should have it up and running not long after getting back. The plan is to have it running, engineered and insured before xmas, fingers crossed.

Heres some more pics of stuff.....

Heres the solid steel flywheel Scott at Venom made me. It's lighter than the flywheels made by dellow's or The Rod Shop. He also made it to suit my std. V6 clutch (which has been modified by Direct Clutches), which should be better than running the 6cyl. falcon clutches you get with conversion kits, and it is also cheaper!!
aba.sized.jpg

abb.sized.jpg

The 1UZ all ready to go in, new timing belt, new idler bearings, new pulley bearings and new accesory belt and a degrease and bit of paint. I swapped over the hydralic pump pulley and bracket for a idler pulley and bracket off another model 1UZ. The water lines that heat the throttle body have also been removed.
aaw.sized.jpg

I thought the missus's ute was nice till i saw the 4 runner those are two sweet rides
Very nice planning.
why did you not get venom to fit the 1uz other than it wouldnot fit under his garage?

Thanks for the comments Sterling, my girlfriends ute has only just begun, got some plans for it next year, which unfortunetly don't include a 1UZ for it, but I am working on it!!

If Venom was closer I would have got him to do most of it for me, but it was a long way to tow my truck down, and he was also too busy. The other reason is I have mates in every type of automotive business up here where I get good discounts and am saving a lot of money with this conversion. It would have cost too much to get Scott to do it.

Got a phone call this arve from Widowmaker, they were about to start the engine mounts, but couldn't get the wheels off cause I've got the key for the lock nuts, bugger!! So there is another days delay!!

Twisty,

Get used to delays.

I started my conversion 9 months ago.

So far the car has sat for 10 weeks in a paint shop, 5 weeks in muffler shops and aound 8 weeks waiting for parts to be machined or TIG welded. Add that together with my 3 weeks in London and I've lost 26 weeks out of 38 weeks for the conversion.

I'll buy you a beer if you get it up and running by the time the fat man slides down your (non-existant) chimmney. Whilst I say that I wish you all the best and hope I have to buy that beer.

I'm working on it Logan, she's not to keen on the idea yet!!

Anyway some good news!!

Widowmaker have mounted the motor and gearbox. No sump modifications were needed to clear the front diff (front sump, IFS) and a small oil filter should fit on with no problems.

The gearbox did move back (not sure how much yet) so my driveshafts might need modyfing (the front deffinetly, I'm hoping the rear will be ok becuase of the lift).

They are just mucking around with the slave cylinder for the clutch, then I can bring it home and get it running!!

I'll get some pics tonight and post the tomo!! stoked!!!!

Looks like you might be buying that beer Rod!! lol!

Ok, heres the pics.... :cool:

I'm absolutely stoked with the install, very professional job, looks like it came out the factory like this....It took them 4 full days work to do it all, but deffiently looks the piece. I haven't got my bill yet, but I think its going to be a little more than expected. I find out tomorrow so I will let you's know.

Now for the kool bit, some pic's of my truck finally sporting a 1UZFE V8 under thr bonnet. ;D ;D The photos a little dodgy becuase of the sunlight, but it's enough to start get some of you's drooling.

Front on shot.
abc.sized.jpg

Looking down from the drivers side.
abd.sized.jpg

From the passenger side.
abe.sized.jpg