1UZFE into V6 4Runner with Wolf 3D

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Twisty,

I won't be attending the challenge.

I stopped competing in motorsport around 8 years ago and now just use the car as the family convertible with a little off road work and trailer towing.

Seems a waste but the old boy has been around so long he's part of the family. The cars called Big Herbie so it has to be male! My (then) 2 year old named it.

Guts said:
Hay can you post some pics and details on the air filter etc that you used.
No worries, I spent a fair bit of $$ trying to get a VL Airbox to work with my setup, with some stainless pipe between the throttle body and AFM. But just couldn't get it to work the way I wanted.

So in the end I used the std. intake resonator box, but had it modified to clear the brake booster by a plastic welding guy. I then used 3.5" silicon hose (they didn't have radiator hose big enough) to join the AFM to the resonator box, with a 3.5"-3" hose adaptor on the resonator box, all from a local truck shop. Then a cheap $40 pod filter from KB Auto1 with a $30 Pod Filter to AFM adaptor from Carbitz finishes it off. I haven't had any problems as yet with having the pod filter bolted directly to the AFM.

It look pretty neat in the end, but I am hoping to get some kind of box made soon, so I can hook twin 3" snorkels up. I'm also not too fond of the intake temps I would have with this setup.

Some pics....
abm.jpg

abn.jpg

abo.jpg

Thanks dude.

Thats the setup I want to run most of the time, but when I know I`m doing a comp or socail driving that might have deep water I`m hoping to have a cross over pipe going over the motor to the standard lux air filter box which is hooked up to my snorkel. I know its not the best setup for a intake but I don`t want a made up snorkel on the drivers side.

If possible could you list some part numbers, would make it alot easier for me lol

I've chucked out all the packages that would have part numbers, but you should be able to get most of it pretty easy.

The airflow meter to pod adapter was made by Redline. You can see in the pics it just isn't wide enough to have holes drilled in it to go onto the studs of the AFM, so some notches were just grinded into the side and oversize washers put on.

If you get really stuck let me know and I could organise the same setup up here and post it down to you for whatever it costs??

Ya we don`t have the number of car shops down here as the cities do.

We do have about 3 shops that have real car nutters running them so they do help lots with trying to find the harder things.

Guts,

Have you thought about reversing the plenum.

You can ratate it 180 degrees so the t/b is on the passengers side. This would make it easier to hook up to the Lux airbox on a permanent basis.

Best thing is it's a free change it won't cost you anything except time.

Same as twisty here. My lux might be a comp truck 1st but I still have a touch of street machine in my blood, hence the very tidy engine bay and full body colour under carriage.

So hows the rig going?
The main thing I want to know about is how is it going temp wise? What sort of temp is it running at on hot day driving it hard. What radiator etc you using?

Guts, I'm running the Std. 4Runner V6 radiator with the inlet/outlet swapped to the opposite sides of the tank to line up with 1UZ Hoses. I'm running a 16" "ICE" thermo fan mounted to the front of the radiator.

I can't give you temps in degrees but on a hot day the guage hardly move, sits just under halfway on the guage. I"ve hardly seen it move during everyday running.

The trip I done up the beach to Double Isaldn the other week was fine in all conditions except high load, low speed conditions. It would start to rise then. This was in 2nd gear high range. Give it a bootful and get to 3rd with a bit more speed the temps would come down.

I've been told the overheating at low speed/high load is becuase of the two mitre joints I have in the copper pipes in my hose setup causing to much of a restriction on the flow. These will be getting changed to smooth bends soon to see if it makes a difference.

You can see the mitre joint in the top hose in this pic.

abp.sized.jpg

Looks the same as the 2.8 radiator, Ive had the in and out lets made bigger and both of them have the same bend as what you have there. With the bottom all I`m going to do for now (just to get it finished) is cut the standard crown bottom hose and then rejoin it just so that I can turn the bottom part of it 90 deg. I have 2 10 fans in front of my grill, these cover about 98% of the radiator area behind the grill By the sounds of it I`ll be about the same as you to start with. All of this is just a starting point for me to work from once it is going and I can see how much more cooling I`ll need, mine works hard when 4x4ing and 95% of it is slow work. One thing I`ll have over you but is a cooler on the sump oil.

I'll be interested to see how yours goes then, cooling wise. I'm still unsure what to do yet. Hopefully removing the mitre joints fixes it. But not sure if it still overheats after that.

You must be getting pretty close to up and running by now?? how much longer do you think?

on overheating... are you sure it is or is it the guage reading hat when the motor is warm. the bloke who fitted the 1UZ into the falcon i just bought says he's had a ray gun temp sensor on the top hose/radiator when the guage reads boiling the temp was only 95 degrees which i'm told is normal. about 10 degrees hotter than a falcon runs hence different readings.

just a thought not sure if yours is actually boiling? ps mine is using the radiator from the half cut

nah, guage is fine for all everyday driving, and also giving at a flogging at speed.

Just starts to get warm on low speed, high load events. I haven't let it get close to boiling yet. Its buy no means a nusience. Its only done it in really soft sand, with lots of full throttle fun!!

Soft sand mmmmm very hard work.

I`m also putting in mechanical water temp, oil temp and oil presser guadges, so I`ll be be able to keep a very close eye on everything it is doing.

Umm ya I`m sort of close to finishing, just waiting on some cash to come my way soon, then it want take to long. Still have to get new doors and paint them, paint tray, new crs rear sump, exhaust, wire it up (either this weekend or next for shore), put seats and dash etc back in, tail shafts, engineers and rego. Hoping to have it finished by either the start or end of April.

If its finished then yes I will, but knowing me it want be lol, a run like that (9.5hrs from here) would be a good test run for it. BTW I`m navi for cheezy this year.

You lucky bugger, Cheezy's is one awesome truck too!! We'll have to catch up down there anyway.

Some other news on my conversion. I finally got everything approved today, and got the mod plate fitted etc...

I didn't pass the first time as I didn't have the ecu mounted, no steering dampner (sump was in the way) and power steer didn't work at idle. I finally got everything finished yesterday, and I'll post some pics once the battery's have charged in the digi camera.

Cool, did he do a brake test?

Ya Cheezy`s rig is cool, just a pitty it started life as a GQ

His rig lived in my shed for about 6 months last year, was parked write next to the lux. People used to walk into my shed and their eyes would pop out of their head, then after they put them back in they would go dude your one lucky bugger to have 2 rigs like that. lol

Nope Guts, no brake test. He didn't even drive the thing at all. The appritance drove it into the workshop and out. I'm really surprised how easy it is to get an engine conversion done in QLD when every other mod is impossible to get approved.

Heres a couple new pics....
First one is my truck with a mates set of 31's on it for when I had to take the truck down to Qld Transport, looks so stupid!!
abt.sized.jpg

And the custom brackets to mount the steering dampner. I'll be get a bash plate done soon to protect it as it's a lot more vunerable to getting damaged offroad now.
abq.sized.jpg

abr.sized.jpg

abs.sized.jpg