1UZ on an aftermarket computer

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
The haltech will work fine with the 1UZ TPS, wired up a Haltech the other week on a Daihatsu Turbo which uses a standard 0-5v TPS like the 1UZ. There are 4 wires on the 1UZ TPS but you only need three of them.

TRC will only work with high end ECU's, like a MOTEC (and it would be optional anyway)

fozee said:
By the way, im installing my 1uzfe into a 1979 VW Kombi.
should put up some progress reports, in the engine swap section, sounds great!
i've read about a leyland p76 alloy V8 in a combi, they have more low end torque and break gearboxes, the 1UZ may be a little more gentle till 3000rpm

I plan to.
As yet the progress in no further than gathering the information i need and the essential part.
This forum is giving me heaps of the info i need
Cheers Guys!!

From one of their Employees, Scott I think, said it's been there since v1.11. Injector outputs 9 & 10 are used to control the solenoids and timing inputs T3 and T4 are used to measure the two vvti cam sensors. They have been using on honda (hondas with vtec and vvti) for a while, not sure if they have actually tried a toyota, but there should be no issues.

turboandrew said:
From one of their Employees, Scott I think, said it's been there since v1.11. Injector outputs 9 & 10 are used to control the solenoids and timing inputs T3 and T4 are used to measure the two vvti cam sensors. They have been using on honda (hondas with vtec and vvti) for a while, not sure if they have actually tried a toyota, but there should be no issues.
Do you have any more info on this VVTi controller? VVTi is worlds different than VTEC. For one, VTEC is like an off/on switch, while VVTi is continuously variable. VTEC also changes the lift, while VVTI mostly changes valve overlap and timing. VVTLi combines VVTi with a VTEC-like design of two cam profiles allowing for a change in duration and lift in addition to overlap and timing. The L, or Lift, part of that design could theoretically be controlled similar to a VTEC controller.

Does anybody know if the VVTi system on the 1UZ is on the intake side only like the 1ZZFE, or is it dual VVTi like the late model 3S-GE? The part I don't get is how it operates to adjust overlap when the second camshaft is gear driven by the first in this engine. Can anyone shed any light on this?

There is not a stand alone vvti controller from AEM; it is all bundled in one EMS. This box has been out for a couple of years, but recently supported vvti due to more advanced features included in the recent software update (all s/w updates & features free to current AEM owners BTW). The Honda motor I was referring to has both vtec and variable valve timing. Yes, that's multiple cam lobes -and- a camshaft that can vary it's phase, and the AEM does all of that.

The vvti for 1UZ/2UZ/3UZ is on the intake cams. The new Avalon in the US has vvti on both intake and exhaust cams. 2005 Infiniti G35 and 2005 Nissan 350Z with 6 speed also have vvti on both intake and exhaust cams.

Andrew, I've seen those outputs and was aware the AEM had VVTi "capability", but do we know anyone who has programmed, and is actually using them to control a VVTi system?

I thought the only VVTi motor with an AEM (here in the US anyway) was still using the OEM ECU to control the VVTi stuff (Lar's Honda project).

John

Does anyone have a copy of the Toyota Wiring Manual for any VVTi 1UZ-FE powered vehicle? I'm interested in looking at the engine control pages to see more information on the VVTi system.

As far as AEM goes, they seem to be quite vague in their support. From what I could gather from their forums, the "universal" ECM they (will) sell will have some sort of ability to control variable valve timing, but I'm not sure how it will accomplish that. Theoretically, one of the input wires could be used to monitor the cam sensor and one of the outputs could control the VVTi system. Can one use load, oil temperature, and other variables, to modify the date points in the calibration?

However, does the AEM have the capability to calculate the cam angle advancement relative to the stock position and would it be able to output a signal that the Oil Control Valve in the system will require to make it work?

Adrian

However, does the AEM have the capability to calculate the cam angle advancement relative to the stock position and would it be able to output a signal that the Oil Control Valve in the system will require to make it work?

Adrian

My understanding is yes.

V8Supra said:
I'm still at a loss to know how people actually tune a car without knock sensors. And I agree they're a necessity.
I do, actually. You can hear a knock, even a slight one with your tuned ears. I have made a simple amplifier with a microphone that clips to my block so now I can hear EVERYTHING going on, from valves opening to closing, and fuel injectors opening to very very small knocks. Not even $10us and you KNOW you can trust it as you are now a part of the knock sensor.

I am also using the Autronic SMC v1.99 with autotune. I paid $1500us with the two sensors that needed to be changed, one screws right in the other can be JB Welded inside the stock plug. That's how I did it anyways, it screws right in. The reluctor interface is cake to install for people with the older engines. Sounds more intimidating then it is. The reason I wanted an Autronic over the others is because of the actual tuning it allows you to do. You can fine tune, and specifiy any RPM's you want to in the data tables themselves (the others only give you 1000rpm,2000rpm,3000rpm...etc) and the graphical software put icing on the cake for me. It even has a blank table for the user to use with any device you want; water injection, nitrous ...anything.

-Steve

From memory the 12's have more outputs. They can control waste gates, fans, intercoler pumps ect. The 8 has (I think) only 1 output.

The 12S has 6 injector, 6 ignition drivers.
Apart from that they are identical.

The 10S is an 8S with 2 extra outputs I beleive, I'm not sure if they are permanently programmed to PWM or if its switchable.

The 16S (if its released yet) has 8 injector, 8 ignition drivers.
The 8S has 4 and 4 obviously.

1uz uses 4 injector, 2 ingition drivers.