Yet another 1UZ BMW swap

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

DTM340i

I have been meaning to post up some pics of my E30 for a while now,

Finally the day came, put a smile on my dial,

IMGP3747.jpg

First go at engine mounts

IMGP3782.jpg

Engine mounts done

IMGP3791.jpg

Gearbox crossmember done

DSCF2000.jpg

Went a little overboard with the sump, I had cracked my 6cylinder BMW sump for having the car sitting, as it was so nicely put by someone, "c*** scraping low" so made it sit a touch higher than the crossmember so ensure no damage

IMGP3831.jpg

IMGP3838.jpg

Sitting in place, getting close now,

Big shoutout to Sideshow (Jim) for donig the loom, hoping to get that back any day now.

Just waiting on my new flywheel to be done, we pulled mine out to keep a customer happy so I have to wait :( but it will allow me to lighten it a little.

Quickshift is all done and feels superb, cant wait to row those gears :)

IMGP3785.jpg

Did you make brackets that attach to the bellhousing and block?

I'm planning a custom oil pan for my swap and thought that the stock alum ring attachment to the block and bellhousing was needed for block strength (not criticizing, just wondering if this is needed for my own build)

Can you share what thickness material you used for the flange and pan components?

TIA

Cebby, tried and tested combo with no problems so havent made any brackets, I see what you mean but I am assured that it wont be a problem.

Flange is 6mm and pan is 1.2

Vander, I wanted the engine mounted as low as possible, I first used a factory front sump and it sat way too low with how low my car sits, looked at making a custom pan for on the bottom of it but still was going to sit too low, now I know I can have it sitting as low as I like and it will never scrape

How far is it from the top of your plenium to your bonnet? Just trying to figure out what height your engine sits in relation to mine.

If you can Take a pick if you can from side on, ie the camera parallel with the top of the fenders with the bonnet up. (if that makes sense lol)

Glenn,

You made me laugh.

I looked at your sump and thought "that looks like a Castlemmain sump" then the penny dropped.

I'm a bit thick sometimes.

How far is it from the top of your plenium to your bonnet? Just trying to figure out what height your engine sits in relation to mine.

If you can Take a pick if you can from side on, ie the camera parallel with the top of the fenders with the bonnet up. (if that makes sense lol)

not sure at the moment as I have the inlet removed at present (waiting on loom to arrive)

Worked out I got it down about 15mm more than what I could with the factory sump

Cebby, tried and tested combo with no problems so havent made any brackets, I see what you mean but I am assured that it wont be a problem.

Flange is 6mm and pan is 1.2

Thanks for the reply. That uncomplicates matters for me a bit.

What are you doing for a dipstick?

Hello there
I'm just wondering how much it would cost me to have a pair of the engine mounts and one of those sumps made??
Especially the sump.
I'm in the middle of planning a 1uz-fe conversion to my E30.
Do you have any suggestions as to the best place to buy the motor from.
I live in tassie so freight is probably gunna be a killer.

I think i may have been talking to you on the phone about one of the shops manual bellhousing kits a while back

Cheers
Lindsay Skeggs

I attempted to show my partner this thread to explain what it is that I have been doing to the E30,

Her response to the pic looking from underneath up at engine mounts was "it just looks like a pile of junks metal, like at a tip, a big pile of metal garbage"

*Sighs

I just wanted to give a shout out to,

SIDESHOW (Jim)

For the wiring loom, absolutely wrapped with the job, recieved it today and it looks fantastic, being electrically retarded it is exactly what I needed,

Cheers and thanks again Jim,

*sits by the door waiting for flywheel lol

Well it has been a long time in the coming but last thursday the E30 moved under its own steam and I got my first test drive.

I had alot of dramas along the way, enough to write a book but it has all been worth it now having this going.

Still a few teething issues, not running 100% yet and I am guessing its mainly related to the rear oxys not being connected (cant find anywhere in the loom for them to mate up to)

If you use very little throttle, runs great, if you give it WOT it flies, just when you are in between it misses and farts a bit.

All in all I am wrapped with it with 0-100kph times around 5.5 seconds.

Once issues are sorted will give it a run on the quarter mile.

Really looking forward tog etting it out on a circuit, where it will really shine :)

beauty! long live the E30! i've always loved those cars! and all the 3 series cars since then but the e30 and e36 are wonderful vehicles! i couldnt imagine what that light little rocket would do with a v8 under the hood!

Thanks guys, great to have it going.

Still cant find this bug though.

I have changed front oxy sensors and speed sensor, no different.

I still think it has to do with vacuum lines and or tank breather.

I have played around with the routing and it changes the way it behaves, just doesnt fix it.

I think seeing that it is a near perfect day here today and old Chevs are cruising around everywhere I better go for another drive and video what it is doing to see if anyone has any ideas of what it may be.

Fuel economy sucks a big one at the moment. Absolutely appauling.

After lunch I will go for a drive and vid what it is doing, post on youtube and start a thread in appropriate area.

Looking forward to having this tune issue sorted.

I also have a horrid bearing noise when its cold, I am hoping its the gearbox and not the engine. Im not really keen on taking the engine out to do bearings such a short time after getting it running