Why Supra Owners swapping?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Lextreme II

Just call me "Lex"
I am refering to the MKIV. The 2JZ is alot easier and cheaper to make mega hp. Swapping to the Toyota V8 would be a step back in HP and might cost alot more to mod. So why?

I am swapping for the following reasons:

1.) It's more reliable than the 7mgte motor.
2.) It's about 100-130 lbs lighter than the 7mgte motor.
3.) It has more HP stock than the 7mgte (~225 w/ the 7mgte, and 250 w/ the 1uz)
4.) The manner in which I plan on doing the swap, it will be smog legal. (To my knowledge, JDM 2jz's are not smog legal in California because of numerous differences in the engine)

I am swapping for the following reasons:

1.) It's more reliable than the 7mgte motor.
2.) It's about 100-130 lbs lighter than the 7mgte motor.
3.) It has more HP stock than the 7mgte (~225 w/ the 7mgte, and 250 w/ the 1uz)
4.) The manner in which I plan on doing the swap, it will be smog legal. (To my knowledge, JDM 2jz's are not smog legal in California because of numerous differences in the engine)

I think Lextreme is asking why a person would remove a 2JZ from an MKIV to drop in a 1UZ. I have to agree with Cribbj. If I were to find a good MKIV roller with a blown 2JZ or no 2JZ, I would be swapping in the 1UZ for the reasons given. For now I am settling with doing the swap on my MKIII instead :) Either way, swapping a 1UZ into an MKIV or MKIII for me is just to say I have done it and it is not yet a popular swap compared to the 2JZ/1JZ swaps out there in the States. If I go to a show around here, I am pretty much guaranteed to be the only Supra with a 1UZ where-as if I stuck a 1JZ or 2JZ into it, I will bump into other Supra owners with the same engines.

Of course, one must also remember that #3 above in the quote is a comparison of HP on a 7M-GTE (turbocharged) and a 1UZ-FE without forced induction. Without Googling or looking at Wikipedia, what are the numbers for a 2JZ-GE? It may be cheaper to swap in a 1UZ into a 2JZ-GE MKIV than convert it. I believe this would bring reliable horsepower as well (compared to a 2JZ-GE N/A-T conversion) as the streetable N/A power.

Almost forgot to add I think I will get better gas mileage with the 1UZ compared to my 7M-GTE as well. Newer technology, better efficiency, lighter weight, more power :)

The big one for me would be the weight distribution...a uz in the bay sits way back compared to the JZ (not to mention simply being lighter)...would have significant handling benefits for track work.

There's the noise too of course :) While i love the scream of a big boost 2J, yet to hear one that sounds as good as my UZ.

I would only ever do this swap with a n/a JZA80, if it came TT it would stay TooJay.

More cubes (torque) and quicker to come on boost for the same overall horsepower.

Better weight distribution if going supercharged although not sure if this would stack up with a pair of turbos hanging out the front?

I also love that V8 sound
All round better for me to go faster on the track.

Yah I just noticed after reading his post about 5 times. I'm sorry for being a retard.:banghead: Forgive me!

I think Lextreme is asking why a person would remove a 2JZ from an MKIV to drop in a 1UZ. I have to agree with Cribbj. If I were to find a good MKIV roller with a blown 2JZ or no 2JZ, I would be swapping in the 1UZ for the reasons given. For now I am settling with doing the swap on my MKIII instead :) Either way, swapping a 1UZ into an MKIV or MKIII for me is just to say I have done it and it is not yet a popular swap compared to the 2JZ/1JZ swaps out there in the States. If I go to a show around here, I am pretty much guaranteed to be the only Supra with a 1UZ where-as if I stuck a 1JZ or 2JZ into it, I will bump into other Supra owners with the same engines.

Of course, one must also remember that #3 above in the quote is a comparison of HP on a 7M-GTE (turbocharged) and a 1UZ-FE without forced induction. Without Googling or looking at Wikipedia, what are the numbers for a 2JZ-GE? It may be cheaper to swap in a 1UZ into a 2JZ-GE MKIV than convert it. I believe this would bring reliable horsepower as well (compared to a 2JZ-GE N/A-T conversion) as the streetable N/A power.

Almost forgot to add I think I will get better gas mileage with the 1UZ compared to my 7M-GTE as well. Newer technology, better efficiency, lighter weight, more power :)

The big one for me would be the weight distribution...a uz in the bay sits way back compared to the JZ (not to mention simply being lighter)...would have significant handling benefits for track work.

You are 100% correct on this... its very knoticeable on my car that most of the wheight from the motor is behind the strut towers.

I havent driven it yet but i can just see the car handling very well when its done.

I was running a 2jzgte in my mkiv for many years with many different turbo set-ups eg. twin blitz,twin gt30, single gt30 ,gt3540,gt4245 with many different exhaust housings.Last 2jzgte made 650 rwhp.Now I am running 1uzfe TT 14.7 lb 585rwhp .What a differance the extra cubes =
bigger mid range torque. This in turn makes the car much easier to drive .The power comes more like my ZE Maloo /ML63 /4.0l BWW m3.(just much more of it) . But building up the 1uz was a much more work with things like Rods, pistions ,head studs ,big valves ,shimless buckets, valve springs ,exhaust manifolds , ECU sensors,Billet flywheel , cams,all being harder to find. This fact alone makes the 2jzgte a much easier to work with as all the part are off the shelf items.

I was running a 2jzgte in my mkiv for many years with many different turbo set-ups eg. twin blitz,twin gt30, single gt30 ,gt3540,gt4245 with many different exhaust housings.Last 2jzgte made 650 rwhp.Now I am running 1uzfe TT 14.7 lb 585rwhp .What a differance the extra cubes =
bigger mid range torque. This in turn makes the car much easier to drive .The power comes more like my ZE Maloo /ML63 /4.0l BWW m3.(just much more of it) . But building up the 1uz was a much more work with things like Rods, pistions ,head studs ,big valves ,shimless buckets, valve springs ,exhaust manifolds , ECU sensors,Billet flywheel , cams,all being harder to find. This fact alone makes the 2jzgte a much easier to work with as all the part are off the shelf items.
I agree with you. The 1UZ makes really crazy hp given at the same psi comparing to the 2JZGTE. I only run 6 psi but it's a little monster on the street for any factory cars in the 300-350 hp range. It has so much tq and hp at "ALL RMP RANGE". I floor the gas and it comes straight to 100 mph without any hesitation. If I'd pay the same $$ to make the 1UZ handle like 800 hp like the 2JZGTE, I'll stay with the 1UZ because I know the 1UZ will launch quicker due its monster tq.

Hey Darren good to see you back. Any more developments with your setup?

BTW, what valve & valve train setup did you go with again? I remember some discussions last year, or before, about shimless buckets and a shim under setup you were looking at.

Also curious about who made your flywheel and whether it's similar to anything currently available from Toyota?

Its really nice to hear from Supra owners that has been there and done that. That really make the forgotten V8 owners some lights.

Thanks

I am running 2jzgte exhaust valves with echo shimless buckets.Have changed the T.B for an nissin infiniti T.B which works much better with the top half of the inlet manifold turned around (keep in mine it needs a new flange welding on and porting to match it all up.) Have fitted a larger oil cooler and a moroso accumulator. The flywheel was made by Avanced Metal Turning to match the up-graded TRD twin plate to the 1uz.The clutch sep-up works perfect even with over 600 rwhp and hot 300mm wide slicks.

I swapped because I wanted a better engine platform for my supra for boosting.
If you strip the turbo’s off a supra you’ll get around 130rwkw compared to 190rwkw 1UZ NA supra (with extractors and ECU).
The handling is so much better!! A more 50/50 weight distribution over the front wheels. The supra is known to be a little tail end happy around corners, as it would whip out if your not careful and leave you going in an unwanted direction. Now with the 1UZ I can power out of corners sideways no worries at all!! Not afraid of spinning out anymore.
The project it’s self was fun it took 2 weeks roughly to do the conversion and have it running. Then another 6 weeks ironing out the bugs lol. Fairly easy swap too, standard soarer mounts and other bits and pieces.
And yep, around 100kg lighter than a JZA-80 TT.
And the sound!! A V8 supra tearing up the road!!