Why does stock 1uzfe timing feel so sluggish?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

xspsi6

This engine is being held back it feels like from stock igniton timing how much whp could be had from a standalone or piggyback with timing control?

Again how much power is it making? I have had stock ECUs that make really good power and others that I have had big gains by fitting an aftermarket. Place to start is get it on a dyno to see how much it it making now. Cheers

i've never had any complaints about the stock timing map, what vehicle is this engine in? and what makes you think the timing map is to blame? If its still in an ls400/sc400 id be blaming the stock automatic and rear end gears over the stock timing map

It's in a 1997 sc400 and the car has always felt slow to me but it could be from me driving higher hp turbo cars however I have drivin 2 other 1uzfe powered sc400s and mine felt a tick faster than those which I attribute to the lower hp of the early sc400's.

It just feels like it could a more aggressive timing advancement map as it feels a bit lazy, Maybe it's all in my head .

My LS feels really slow too, but my daily driver is a turbo and the turbo kick isn't going to be felt in an NA car! I also switched to a 4.27 gear/LSD and got it to 3200lb, but its still slow. Researching a 5 speed swap now.

part of the problem is the automatic setup that came with those cars. It tries to smooth out the power while sacrificing torque.
Also the timing curve on these engines are very mild, and just by moving the timing up a little you can gain a signifigant amount power.
I hope this helps.

part of the problem is the automatic setup that came with those cars. It tries to smooth out the power while sacrificing torque.
Also the timing curve on these engines are very mild, and just by moving the timing up a little you can gain a signifigant amount power.
I hope this helps.

Maybe dumb questions:
How do you set timing?
Are the distributors slotted to up the timing a bit?
I assume you short a check connector to check base timing?
What would you set the base timing to for best all out performance?

Thanks....

PS, do you guys happen to know if the LS 4 speed shifter would work mechanically (D/N/P/R at least) with the later 5 speed?

Maybe dumb questions:
How do you set timing?
Are the distributors slotted to up the timing a bit?
I assume you short a check connector to check base timing?
What would you set the base timing to for best all out performance?

Thanks....

PS, do you guys happen to know if the LS 4 speed shifter would work mechanically (D/N/P/R at least) with the later 5 speed?

There is no mechanical timing adjustments

I hope this helps.

I would have to agree with this statement as it just feels on the way conservative side and I would venture to guess another 15whp or so is on tap with just minor advance.

Would someone recommend a decent piggyback to correct the timing issue? Don't want to go standalone cause no other modifications are planned at the moment.

there are a couple of piggyback options out there that controll timing. one of them being the maft-pro.
and there's an easy 25hp and 26 tq available to be tapped just be moving your timing up.

4U2QUIK, just been at their website and didn't find any specialized version for any 1UZ-equipped car. Did you run any of the MAFT devices with 1uz? Or in other words which one is the most suitable to just move the timing?

4U2QUIK, just been at their website and didn't find any specialized version for any 1UZ-equipped car. Did you run any of the MAFT devices with 1uz? Or in other words which one is the most suitable to just move the timing?

it's just meant for jdm vehicles. not really specialized for any specific vehicle. basically you wire it up similiar to how you wire up a supra,and you use most of the same software settings also. but you just tell it it has 8 cylinders instead of 6.
and I'm talking about the maft-pro specifically.