Which Cops

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Alan Whitaker

Hi
I need to get some cop's, I have 2 part numbers both Denso, one is 0919-02238 and the other is 90919-02230.
I don't know which people are using so any body using either of them.

Thanks

Alan

I've used the COP's for the Tundra with good success 90080-19027 and they held up under 20+ psi of supercharger boost. Others have used Suzuki Hayabusa motorcycle pencils coils.

The Tundra coil is a "smart" COP with the ignitor integrated onboard.

The Hayabusa bike coils are dumb coils and need external ignitors.

Be aware, smart coils are not compatible with CDI ignitions.

Thanks for that, I did read that the LS430 coils are better for turbo but need to be extended, sounds a bit of a faf, don't know on this if it's a option for a better coil

Alan

I got about 12 coils for LS400 if you need them
LS400/LS430 coils are fully interchangeable mechanically, but they have different pinout and slightly different connector

Thanks for that
The SC430 coils I was looking at pencil coils X 8, my LS400 has 2 coils and 8 plug leads so I am doing a full change to pencil coils.

Alan

Hi All
Got my cop's, I tried one today, fit ok but the plug socket touches the rocker cover, not wanting to machine and weld the rockers, the option is to make a sleeve to extend the cop so it is 6mm above the rocker cover and make a bracket to secure all 4 each side.
SO what's the best way to do this, or has anybody done this.

Alan

Hi All
Got my cop's, I tried one today, fit ok but the plug socket touches the rocker cover, not wanting to machine and weld the rockers, the option is to make a sleeve to extend the cop so it is 6mm above the rocker cover and make a bracket to secure all 4 each side.
SO what's the best way to do this, or has anybody done this.

Alan

Alan, which COP's did you go with? Putting the heads & connectors above the valve cover can get messy, as then all the harnessing is outside the valve cover. It does have the advantage, however, of keeping the heads "out" of the engine and in cooler air. This can be important for the longevity of the ignitors, when you're using smart coils.

Attachments

• IMG_3588 (Large).JPG
    IMG_3588 (Large).JPG
    109.7 KB · Views: 15
On question, is there a cad file for cutting the mounting plate.

Alan

Every plate will be a bit different, depending on the coil hold-downs. The C/C distances of the COP holes are just the cylinder bore spacing, which is 105.5mm, IIRC. Give some thought on how you want to weatherproof those holes (or not).

You'll also probably need to fabricate some extenders for the plug terminals. I haven't seen a COP long enough to sit on top of the valve cover and still engage the plug. I build ignition systems for our V12 Ferraris and for those I simply use little SS standoffs on top of the plugs, and the bike coils engage those just fine.

For longer standoffs like the UZ application, I've extended not only the plug terminal, but also the upper ceramic (by using Teflon rod), so that the coil terminal AND boot still fits tightly around the plug/extender.

Hi
Just worked out with the plate the cops will need to be extended, will look at this and show what I come up with.

Thanks for the info

Alan

Hi
Came up with a way to do this, made up a extension to the coil end, I found some springs that wind onto the coil spring just the right size, I have made just a loose fit test but need to mount the plate to the cam covers before I can get a exact size. Should do the trick, will use a high strength glue and a press fit.
comments please.

Alan

Attachments

• Coil mod2.jpg
    Coil mod2.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Coil mod.jpg
    Coil mod.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Coil mod1.jpg
    Coil mod1.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Coil mod3.jpg
    Coil mod3.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 10
That should work, if you don't need much of a "mechanical" connection between the coil & plug, which in this case probably isn't important. You'll be using the coil hold down brackets won't you?

You'll want to inspect the coil & plug terminals after running to see if there's any arcing or corrosion. Since you're depending only on the force of the spring compression for the electrical contact, it may not be the absolute best, but then it only has to conduct milliamperes, and there's plenty of voltage there to help push those milliamps through :)

Hi
Made up 2 plates as your picture, going to fit them and see how much I need to extend them, tested the extension with a old coil and it works well on the scope so should work in the car.

Alan

No doubt you've discovered that the plates don't seal well on the F&R ends of the valve cover - so I had my ends welded and built up to provide a sealing surface, and I ran 4-5mm thick foam weatherstripping around the bottom edges of the plates to better seal them.

Hi
Was just going to leave them open, cam covers have seals in so just a gap to gather dust, guess it will not be a problem, only done one cover as yet, don't know if I covers will fit either side so they look the same, job for today fit it all up (have a few sets of cam covers) to try.

Alan

Hi
Well first side came out ok, will be using 2 covers without the oil filler cap as the engine is dry sump and the filler is in the boot.

Many Thanks for the picture

Alan

Attachments

• COP.jpg
    COP.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 16