Where can I get a tiny V8

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
You can always consider a good toyota V6 swap as the newer V6's are probably more powerful anyway over any of the other smaller and older V8's...Maybe maybe not.... Block size would be smaller for sure...

Or as mentioned above the Ford Taurus Sho has a wicked V6 sitting under the hood, as well as the Buick Grand National but that motor is boosted...

What about one of these then?

800px-Lancia_thema_8.32_engine.jpg

3 liters ferrari desinged 32v v8 (not a flatplane helas)

they where used in the lancia thema 8.32 and those go pretty cheap

Grtz Thomas

Oh btw just remembered, the new Caparo T1 roadster supercar uses a 2.4L V8 which comes from australia build by Russell Savory

that's really tiny lightweight and pretty much up to anything you want. bloody expensive though.

Grtz thomas

noone mentioned life expectancy in this thread.....

when someone mentiones they're looking for a small/tiny V8 engine I take it will rev high otherwise a different format engine is a better choice.

twin yamaha R1 heads and cylinders on a cnc'd crankcase seems to be an obvious choice and they do actualy have quite some life in them, westfield has one in a test car which has done 20.000 hard miles now at 384hp from just 2 liters and a 10krpm redline, it's not the powertec engine btw it's the RST from australia.

there's 4 company's building these things all on their own

Russel Savory
powertec
Cyclone Y40R 2.0 (quantum cars UK)
Callaway

grtz Thomas

that's the one going in the DP cars 4wd trackday tool and his ariel atom v8, I couldn'tremember that company or linky thanx!

speaking of which, he's build the best in scratchbuild kitcar stuff.

a094.jpg

www.dpcars.net

Grtz Thomas

damn that car is crazy. i have thought about a setup similar to that before, its nice to see someone going for it.
few qualms though, such as the 75 degree v8 (if theres no width issues, 90 degree would be better wouldnt it?), and the inboard disk brakes (again, space issues i suppose..)
anyone know how the drive is transferred from the gearbox to the front and rear diffs? chain? and is there a centre diff?
whatever the case, 4wd and 970hp/tonne would be fantastic fun!

few qualms though, such as the 75 degree v8 (if theres no width issues, 90 degree would be better wouldnt it?), and the inboard disk brakes (again, space issues i suppose..)
Most race V8's these days are 72 deg, single plane (180 deg) cranks, more efficient exhaust, not worried about passengers feeling the vibration.
Inboard brakes - unsprung weight, becomes more important the lighter the car.

Look up the entire build on DP cars, and you'll understand why he made the choices he made.

as for the brakes, in seven-like kitcar country we also ,if space permits, put the disk and calipers on the diff and it's craddle, for unsprung weight issue's. it's little harder to do that on a non drivven axle. one thing has to be taken into acount when calculating drive shafts and couplings, the entire braking force is aplied via the drive shaft.... Oh and heat.... lot's of it. older Jags have it like this and lots of older Hewland boxed racecars, but somehow they discarded the idea and now are back to in wheel.

and yes there's a diff in the middle right here (alloy casing inside the tunnel) dp1026.jpg

Grtz Thomas

@ Errol, is the reynard running Alcon brakes, if so how are they?

How about a boosted 4 banger instead? Wouldn't that put out as much horsepower as any N/A V8? It would surely weigh less, probably cost less, and have much smaller dimensions overall and lastly it would fit under just about any hood...Those DOHC boosted honda 4 banger motors are pretty peppy no? I've seen a few lay down 400whp...

Yes you could by why would you?

A well build busa turbo (holeshot or powertec) doesn't come cheap either and weight wise... after the turbo is installed with all it's stuff the weight would not be to far of and durability is a nightmare in those DAX get 4 hours on track before a rebuild @420hp.

regulation is against you in entire europe if you're in the superlights class running a turbo bike engine, in all of europe don't know about uhe USA though. tendency runs towards NA zx12's and Audi/VAG 1.8L 20v turbo's over here.

+ the soundtrack of a powertec V8 silences every BEC turbo I've ever heard. saw/heard it go at donnington park which was the best moment of the weekend.

then still I would charge a 20v 4age instead of a honda D or B16

Grtz Thomas

noone mentioned life expectancy in this thread

Your own words, back at you bro.....However, I agree with you that a peaked out boosted 4 banger will never last as long as a N/A V8...Actually they might outlast some of those higher reving Ferari motors but that would be it....

Having a little fun with ya Striker... :tongue1:

Hey Jibby,

I couldn't care less if the engine in my striker would require rebuild every 10K km's, because that would mean to rebuild about every 2 years,
I have build that car with only one purpose, being able to drive 150km's to the racetrack on public roads, and then scare of every production car on track that's present, and afterwards drive home 150km's with the stupidest grin on my face, waving at all people that have their nonlegal cars on trailers.
Oh and the yearly blast to Le-mans offcourse, one must have decent transport for that event.

so if it goes pop... so be it.

Iassumed that an engine like we discussed over here was not to go into a daily driver, because IMHO you'd have the wrong engine, doing the wrong thing in the wrong car.

I opted life expectancy because there was a turbo 4L vs V8 NA thing comming. and if you take it into acount the expensive v8 option isn't as expensive after 5 years of running probably.... choises choises.....

Grtz Thomas

Striker I agree with what your saying... I'm just saying if your looking for a tiny V8 to fit in a small car you maybe better off swapping in a 4 banger with a single turbo setup... I still think with all the turbo piping and turbo it will make for a better fit maybe...

If you get a strong 4 banger with good internals it should last... Squeeze in a solid V6 six banger like what's in the Lexus 330's, infinity G35, and the Nissan 330 and you got a peppy motor that will hang with most smaller V8's.. I know the family ES300 Lexus has a little snap to it.. Boost a six banger then you may have something..

A high reving small V8 with good intake and exhaust but no boost is not going to be all that...Maybe 300whp is your lucky.... It won't last long either if it's reving at 7000rpm's or more...Heat and friction will wear it down fast...

Attachments

• UZ Injection.JPG
    UZ Injection.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 0
It's nothing to see 300+rwhp from a stock block turbo 4 cyl.

One of those siamesed motor bike engine V8s is hard to beat for the cool factor though...and nothing is gonna beat the exhaust howl :)

tiny 500cc v8

Some guy in New Zealand built a 500cc v8 with 2 cranks using parts from a Kawasaki ZXR250. Revs to 18,000 rpm, but hes now trying to build one with 1 crank and havent heard anything else about it.