Well, Im back from The Finke...

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

rivmasta

We took the 3,500km trek from Sydney to Alice Springs in the centre of Aus to do The Finke Desert race... Needless to say a biiig couple of weeks. My apologies to my american friends who might miss some of the aussie references.

When we left the car had been dynoed, but not tested. So we decided that as we were going to be driving past the Oodnadatta track tomorrow night.... :) Late arvo we unloaded the cars at Marla, behind the servo/caravan park and took off up the track. Never thought I'd say this but we were overtaking road trains in the dark in the racecar on the Oodnatadda track! haha!

Got to alice and the car still hasnt launched off a jump yet. Oh well. See how we go.

Prologue was no-where. 56th out of 78 vehicles and slow as due to it just not handling. Not happy! So off to Alice Offroad Club in the arvo for testing. And we met some locals. And had some beer. And more beer. :)

Sorted out the rear end OK thanks to externally valvable shocks and dual rate spring setup - the front though, no bypass shocks. so, run what you brung! Front was wayyyy to soft, not good for the 4 feet deep whoops.

Leg 1 is 250km from Alice to Finke. We made it 45km down before we succomed to a booby trap. Someone had removed the warning/danger signs from a dip/washout in the road and we hit it flat out in top. So we smacked the backside of the dip at 200+km/h and took off. The front end hit the dirt and the rear end went skywards - we almost endoed... but luckly didnt. Unluckily the car went right, through a fence then mowed down a grove of trees. 10km later the front end collapsed, out of race. :(

Up to the 45km mark we had passed 8 cars on the track and had another 3 in our sites in front of us. The car was simply screaming. Talk about adrenaline!!!!!! The track is barely even a track, its rough as guts and is 200km of 2 to 4 foot deep corrugations. Mental. :)

Happily, mechanically the car was great. We were having gearbox issues (jumping out of 5th when backing off) so alot of the run was done with the engine bouncing on the 7,000rpm rev limiter in 4th! Engine never got hot, oil pressure was fine and the engine note was brilliant. When we did peg 5th I had to hold the gear stick to keep it in - disconcerting when you're hitting jumps at mach 1 and have nothing to hold onto! haha!

Heaps of people commented on the engine note - At full noise thanks to the crossover and no exhaust it barks brilliantly. No one believed it was a jap motor! haha!

The damage bill isnt huge - A large section of the floor under our feet got torn off when we hit the dip, the rear skid plate got mashed, some bent bracing in the front of the chassis and some cracked welds and we need to make a new upper control arm after the offside one snapped off. All in all its just time and steel, not big $$$. At least all the expensive stuff was ok! Shocks, gearbox, steering and plumbing.

Here are a couple of youtube vids from the event of people getting caought out by a booby trap. Freaking idiots camped by the track changed the jump profile with shovels after we did recce and caused carnage. Idiots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4u978LQC_h0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2OJWIKAowE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBFmuk8ST48

Anyway, gotta do some work. Damn it. :p

Ahh the Finke Desert Race.

Kind of like a short Baja only rougher.

Now I'm jealous.

Good to see the damage was only a flesh wound.

Attachments

• chris browns motor 001.jpg
    chris browns motor 001.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 12
  • chris browns motor 002.jpg
    chris browns motor 002.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 11
  • chris browns motor 003.jpg
    chris browns motor 003.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 13
Top stuff mate!

So all the spectators just enjoyed people risking their lives on that lip, and not offer any warnings to drivers? They should be made to pay for the damage!

Any vids of your buggy?

The pissed idiots on the hill were all for creating carnage - lucky for us and alot of other drivers one person with brains waved us down about 100m before the jump. and waved us down VERY vigourously. We hit it about mid rev in 3rd, real slow, and it still kicked us hard up in the rear. Im in the process of finding out who it was and Im gonna send him a slab.

Crazy thing is, he was standing well away from the crowd because they were chucking rocks at him for slowing us down! Fwits...

4 cars rolled in that spot out of the top 10 qualifiers - all out of the race, around 70k in damage between them. The first guy to go through there lost it on landing and mashed 4 deck chairs - luckily no-one was in them.

Oh, and re the vid - we got an incar of qualifying, but its not very quick, and the prologue track is a dirt freeway almost. Not huge amounts of excitement in that. :(

So the guys in question that created carnage are the ones in and filming the vids linked above?

Feel like ripping into them on youtube.

Top effort rivmasta.

The locals are just like the Mexicans setting spectacle booby traps in the Baja.

At least there is another year to sort those couple of issues for the next Finke!

PS you didn't happen to see Tony Lockett on your travels? :smashfreakB:

Yeah, the mexicans setting booby traps is a bit different to aussies doing tho. I spoke to the guy who slowed us down yesterday (and thank god he did!) And he actually got into a barney with the idiots on the dune! They were chucking rocks at him for slowing us down. Fwits.

Naa, didnt see locket anywhwere. Heard he had an off, but still finished.

good old finke hey i went down last yr and mech for a couple of quads and did the drive to the finke community def a good week of racing and atmosphere is awesome.

was ment to do it myself on quads this yr but they got stolen last dec s of them the bastards so missed out this yr.

i know what u mean about the booby traps last yr the guys doin our fuel dump at pos 2 seen guys doin this and stopped them and fixed the nasty bits before the first cars came thru luckily, they try and do it after pre running during the week its amazing what some people will do and u can guarentee that they know nothing about motorsports etc and are just a bunch of hillbillys.

maybe i will see ya there next yr fingers crossed.

cheers
stewy

We're gonna skip it next year and go to Hyden in WA instead (cant afford to do both in one year). We'll be back to finke in 2011!