w58 in ls400, what a p.i.t.a

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

speedsex

So I bought a 90 ls400 with a blown trans a few weeks ago for a few hundred bucks , to finally put my $125 dollar w58 to use. And all I can say is what a pain in the azz this thing was, I have built hundreds of cars and have never had to make so many custom puts in my life. I cut up a pair of Honda civic clutch/brake pedals , welded them to the stock brake pedal and to the CNC clutch pedal, made a bracket to bolt the clutch master to the brake pedal bracket, had to move the fuse box over. Got a 90 4runner v6 flywheel had the machine shop open up the bolt pattern and had to face .200 off the crank side of the flywheel flange so it would sit the same distance from the starter, I didn't want to keep the two piece drive shaft with the stupid ass rubber band on it so had to have the machine shop make an aluminum adapter to go from the 3 bolt flange to a 1310 flange, so now I have a nice 3 inch one piece drive shaft with solid u-joints and dana/spicer yokes. Had to make an adapter to bolt the t56 GTO throwout to the trans, and if people choice this throw bearing look for an exedy it was like $60 shipped. Did -4an line to hard line for the clutch line, had to by pass the neutral/park start safety, had to wire the gear select to think its in first if you don't do that you will have a short rev limiter , which I may wire to a switch so I have launch control. I used the stock cross member from an Aristo as it drops down about 1/2 more and made an adapter to bolt the stock ls400 trans mount to the w58, had to make 1 inch spacers to lower the cross member down, had to make a 7.5 inch shifter extension, had to cut the shifter it self down cause it was way to tall.

And now that I finished all that and drove the car for the first time, I can say it was worth it, the thing will lite up the tires at will in first and second and is noticeable faster then an auto ls400.

I have an m90 that I picked up for $35 bucks that I just ported and did ceramic bearings in that will be going on in the next few weeks, along with an hks vpc so no more mafs , 440cc injectors , single shot wet nitrous kit, walbro 400lph fuel pump, 2.5 exhaust, and 96 ls400 calipers and rotors.

I'll add some pics once I start the supercharger install. And I don't to hear that I should go with the m112 , I know this , same with the r154 over the w58. I will have a total of about $3k into this car including the price of the car. This is just some piece of shit that I'm building to have fun with.

ls400 shift boot.jpg

Some info on the speed sensor , 90-92 ls400 is 20 pulse per rev , 93-94 is 4 pulse per rev. So looks like I will be doing a cluster swap as I can't find any speed sensors that are 20 pulse and fit the w58 trans.

If any one knows of one that is a 20 pulse per rev. I would love to know before I hunt down a cluster,bezel , replace the caps and rewire it

I did this on a 94. I just plugged the vss connector in to the one on the w58 and my speedo worked fine. Also, not sure if it makes the difference of the world but I used a w58 out of a 93 sc300. And for wiring I only jumpered the neutral safety switch and ran wires to the reverse light switch. Have had no rev limiter issues. I had the shift linkage extended 6 1/2" and enlarged the transmission tunnel hole because I like to drink coffee while driving.

Nice going on your swap. I'm looking forward to see how it performs with a supercharger.

thank you for the reply,
I can ether change my cluster to 93-94 which isn't cheap or find a good 90-92 ls400 20ppr vss and make an adapter. Ether way I'm looking at spending some money for a working speedometer, for now it can wait till I finish the supercharger install.

How about something like the Tachpak 3 from airpax AKA AI-tek?
http://www.aitekinstruments.com/tachometers/tachpak3.shtml
http://www.aitekinstruments.com/pdf/tachpak3_04.pdf
http://www.aitekinstruments.com/pdf/m_tachpak3.pdf

I have a bunch of tachpak 3, tachpak 1 and tachtrol units on my work bench that I have been playing around with. I have been working on finding a reliable way to use the MK3 supra digital dash cluster with a R154 with the marlin crawler VSS adapter and a hall effect sensor on the crank for a tach signal. These things normally cost like $1000 but the shop I work for was just going to throw them out as they switched to using a different unit. If you think that one of these would work for what you need I would sell you one for like $20.

So at the moment your speedo is reading 10 when you are driving at 50?

Im not saying you are wrong, Im just taking an interest in your issue and it makes me want to spend more time with my ossoscope checking speedo signals.

I have used both the early 10 series gearbox and the later 10 series gearbox , both with the SP1 Vss and not had an issue with the speedos. I have even interchanged them on vehicles without an issue with the speedo. With manual conversions I pretty much grab a Vss out of my box of secondhand units and they have always worked between all different toyotas. Have I just been really lucky?

I also have a small range of signal modifiers and am pretty sure I have one that would do the job. I have a range so I can try them on each job. If one doesnt have enough range I talk to my electronics Geek and it gets tweeked to what I need. If you cant find something on your side of the world I could spend some time checking signals and sorting one out. The only speedo one I have used as speedo modifier in a toyota was when I fitted an LS1 into the van until we could get the ECU reflashed.

A friend of mine that rebuilds clusters hooked my cluster up to a hz generator it took about 350-360 hz to read 60 mph , and on a 93-94 cluster it took like 65 hz to read 60mph. We tested two 90-92 clusters just to make sure.

I can get exact hz numbers to mph if that helps. The part numbers for 90-92 and 93-94 vss are also different for sp1, sp2 seems to be the same 90-94.

If you can come up with a simple solution I'm all ears

IF worse comes to worse, I will modify my drive shaft adapter with 20 set screws to get a AC pulse and use a buffer to convert it to dc square wave pulse .

Might help to put the part numbers down.

I list the same SP1 33482-59015(USDM LS400) from 1989-1994 and it fits a wide range of other vehicles from different markets

Then I find 33482-59025 for JDM Celsior. Again fits a wide range of different vehicles from different markets. This one is listed for a USDM SC300/400.

Also what is the part number from the one you presently have in the W58?

Spent part of my morning at work checking the 4 VSS I have here. All where 4 pulse. Connected the modifier and it worked. Pulled some VSS apart to see if the internals could be modified. Did find the sensor can be swapped between bodies with a small trim of the plastic.

Might help to put the part numbers down.

I list the same SP1 33482-59015(USDM LS400) from 1989-1994 and it fits a wide range of other vehicles from different markets

Then I find 33482-59025 for JDM Celsior. Again fits a wide range of different vehicles from different markets. This one is listed for a USDM SC300/400.

Also what is the part number from the one you presently have in the W58?

both parts numbers are coming up just the gear sub assembly, not the sensor it self