V8 MX-5 Scotland

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Petrolhead UK

It begins today...

lex5_01.jpg

Just bought this today, for the fantastic.....

lex5_02.jpg

Which will be going into this...

stripe_front.jpg

I have a lot of research to do, lol.

Dave.

Too cool. What are you planning to do to get the motor ready for the Miata?

Attachments

• Tundra-5.7L-Stroker-2.jpg
    Tundra-5.7L-Stroker-2.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 23
  • Tundra-5.7L-Stroker-1.jpg
    Tundra-5.7L-Stroker-1.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 34
  • Tundra-5.7L-Stroker-3.jpg
    Tundra-5.7L-Stroker-3.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 18
  • Tundra-5.7L-Stroker-4.jpg
    Tundra-5.7L-Stroker-4.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 14
Plans? No-one told me I had to make plans :D

As I said, I have a lot of research to do.

Main thing is, it's been done in Oz and in the USA, so it's a feasable project. Don't know if anyone has done it in the UK yet, but I'll find that out as I investigate.

As far as I have seen so far, it's just engine mounts, wiring (that's a bit vague, lol) and prop shaft. Obviously exhausts etc, but the main thing is, it's not a huge ball-ache by all accounts.

I will be posting EVERYTHING on my website www.roadsterrescue.co.uk

and visiting this site on a regular basis for helps and advice.

Dave.

your just up the road from me, im in kilmarnock :D
will be following this with interest as i considered this very swap

Well if you fancy giving me a hand you're most welcome.

Not sure when I'll be starting. I've been watching for the Lexus coming up for sale at the right price, and on Monday that day came :D

Best to join my forum as I'll be primarily updating that thread first.

www.roadsterrescue.co.uk

The thread is titled: "Has anyone seen my marbles" but I will change that once I get started proper.

I'm hoping to get the engine out today, so stay tuned for photos later.

Meanwhile.....

What parts do I need to keep from the Lexus? I'm stripping the car and sticking the parts up on Ebay.

So far I've worked out:

Engine (Duh)
Transmission (for now)
Wiring loom and ECU
Prop shaft

Radiator?
Expansion tank?

Can anyone think of anything crucial I should be holding on to?

Thanks.

There may be a fuel pump ECU hidden back in one of the rear fenders that you might want to keep. All it does is drop the voltage to the fuel pump when you're idling and/or at cruise (low fuel demand). If you can find it, I'd keep it.

I'd also keep the fuel pump and/or replace it with another OEM Lexus pump. Don't know if the Miata pump will deliver enough to feed the UZ.

Well, this should have been done yesterday, but some KNOB had welded the exhaust at the join I had expected to just come apart when I took the bolts out :mad:

Anyway, here it comes...:)

10.jpg

Full report on my website :)

Attachments

• DSC02443.JPG
    DSC02443.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 184
There may be a fuel pump ECU hidden back in one of the rear fenders that you might want to keep. All it does is drop the voltage to the fuel pump when you're idling and/or at cruise (low fuel demand). If you can find it, I'd keep it.

I'd also keep the fuel pump and/or replace it with another OEM Lexus pump. Don't know if the Miata pump will deliver enough to feed the UZ.

Yeah, the Supra had the same sort of setup, only if I recall correctly, it was done via a relay to switch the voltage from 12v down to 9v. Bad if there was a failure. From what I understood, this was done not to really save gas or anything but to cool the gas. I've seen arguments for just removing the system totally and always applying 12v to the pump.

Yep, and the later Supras had a sort of quasi PWM setup that would drop the pump voltage. Recirculating fuel heats it up and it loses density so the engine will not make as much power.

Getting rid of the pump ECU system will cause the pump to run at full power all the time and recirculate much more fuel during idle/cruise conditions. Not really a good thing to do, although many do it on the early cars for the reliability reasons you mention.

DUDE, AWESOME SWAP!

Funny side not is a friend of mine has a newish mazda 6 with a blown motor, not nearly as exciting, but he wants to do a swap, so we'll be checking out what you do, to see if it's possible!

Of course it's possible, I have an angle grinder and a welder don't I? :D

Another update on my site today. Nothing much, just seperated the engine from the box and put it on a stand so I can start stripping the crap off it ;)

26.jpg

Ok folks, here's today's update...

Quite pleased with my trimming

39.jpg

I put a bar accross the back of the sub-frame, and a couple of wooden blocks on the steering rack, and Hey Presto!..

43.jpg

Engine will probably go down another inch..

46.jpg

Might go back a bit, but I need room for where the engine meets the gearbox, so is probably just about right there..

47.jpg

The bonnet will just about close as it is, but there's a couple of things sticking up, like the throttle cable mounting, and the engine lift hook..

50.jpg

Would be cool if I could just re-mount those things lower down, and not have to drop the subframe

Anyway, that's all for today. I'm liking how it looks now

Nice! I'll bet working the exhaust through there is going to be a challenge, though. That subframe area around the engine bay looks really tight.

Yeah, there will be a certain amount of "massaging" required to the subframe, and the right hand side exhaust manifold will need to be modified so the steering column can get through.

Going well though :)

This will be a fantastic giant killing piece of machinery when finished. I am considering building one as I have a donor Eunos Roadster to convert, that is after my RA28, RA61 and Surf have been converted!!!
Keep up the good work.

if i wasnt working down in bristol mate i could give you a hand :D
i have an AC/DC tig if you need anything fabbed up in ally or the likes :)