Using red brake pads on SC400...Pics..

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

jibbby

I went on Ebay and purchased these "RED" ceramic brake pads for my 1992 SC400... I installed them yesterday and have to say it's an approvement from the ordinary stock black look...

Check the pics...I must say it looks better in person rather then these pics.. The pads are like $60 for a set on Ebay and my braking is now excellent in combination with my D/S rotors... I thought I would share this little discovery with ya all..

did you seriously make more mention of how the pads look then how they work?

and how do you know the car stops better? what did you do to test this?

MVP - Yes they are EBC's.... High quality stuff no dought...

Jake - Alot of time, testing, trial and error has gone into these brakes and former brake caliper swaps... How do I know if it stops better then stock? Well with the stock rotors and Pep boys metalic brake pads the car didn't stop well at all..Almost dangerous as I remember....With the new D/S rotors and new high quality pads the car really stops well, I mean really stops hard.... You can clearly notice a huge difference...

Anyone, whom goes with D/S rotors over the stock rotors and also go with OEM high quality brake pads will notice an increase in braking power immediately and that I can gaurantee... I honestly don't understand why everyone doesn't go with D/S rotors, it's safer, looks better and is the best kept secret.. I've had these for years now and I am very pleased.. No warping, rust and defects to speak of to date...

Also, I had done the Supra Big Brake swap on this SC400 prior to reverting back to these stock calipers... I later had to dis the Supra big brakes because of the huge rim offset that is required... The Wheel spacers used on the front end just did not work out and gave the steering a funky feel... Had to say good bye to Supra brakes...

I compared the Supra 4 piston braking power to the current setup and couldn't notice a difference in stoping distance at all.... Overated is the word that comes to mind on the big brake supra swap...Looks great though...

ED - Brembo big calipers in combination with Brembo D/S rotors would be sweet, expensive and the best... My SC4 really stops well with this setup and is night and day compared to the stock setup..I am no longer looking for an upgrade... The D/S rotors make all the difference I kid you not.....

These are pics of my Supra Big brakes that I re-sold on Ebay... That rim offset to house these calipers was the killer... The front wheel spacers were too large and screwed up everything to suspension, rubbing, and steering... I was pissed to say the least... It did look vantastic though when installed with those big red calipers..

The Brembo SC400 brake upgrade kit would be really nice...However, this Brembo kit almost costs more the older model SC400/Soarer's.....Average price of the complete Brembo kit is $2500-$3500USD new... JDM is selling the kit for $3500...Ouch...

Don't see to many of these kits on the SC400/Soarers but I bet it would be awesome.. I think I would rather supercharge for that much mulla$$$$$$

Curious? I wonder if there is any used cars in the junk and wrecking yards that come with these Brembo's that can be swapped and alterted to fit in an SC400? Maybe Porche's, newer Infinity's, etc.. Now that may be a cheaper alternative...

I'm sure the D/S rotors with stock caliper will improve the bite, but bigger caliper with 4 pistons and bigger rotor will be even better. I'm currently using the LS rotor and caliper, and it stops the car so good. I have no complaint whatsoever. The LS setup only costs 1/2 of the Supra but with similar size and performance. The LS caliper is also lighter because it's made of aluminum. I think it's the best deal ever.

rotors are are the correct way around, but calipers are backwards... j\that photo just a mock up ;)

your right the calapers are on upside down too, but now it looks like both situations exist. both the rotor on the wrong side and calaper on upside down. but if its mock up who cares.

Steve, what year are those LS calipers off of that you swapped onto your SC400? Better yet what years are compatible for that swap? The Supra 4 piston Calipers stuck way out after the swap was done.. Infact I found it almost impossible to find a rim offset other then the Stock Supra rims that will house those massive Supra calipers without the use of spacers and or wheel adaptors..... It appears the LS 4 piston calipers are lower in profile... Did you need to use wheel spacers or adaptors after that swap?

Eddie - You better start driving that car around because you are developing surface rust on those rotors from non use... It's like a cancer as it starts on the rotors then travels to the suspension and then sub frame, bumbers, paneling, and then in cabin where it can run up your leg and arms while your driving...It gets ugly and bondo patch won't fix your legs and arms... It's a rusty cancerous mess to say the least so don't let it get the best of you.....:sigh:

Oh and by the way that Coca Cola sitting next to your Brembo's will also give you cancer after years and years of consumption and that is something I am not joking about..... You're better off drinking a cold brew and catching a buzz while torquing down those bolts, ditch the soda's you'll live longer......:fing02:

Also Steve, I believe the rear stock brake calipers suffer when swapping in just the 4 piston calipers on the front... I think that is why I didn't notice much more braking distance when comparing the two setups (stock with D/S to the Supra big brakes)...

Although, I must say the brake pedal was more responsive after the swap and that I did notice. But actual braking distance remained basically the same between both as I tested several times just for kicks......I don't think the rears were getting much braking power after the swap as I couldn't lock up the backs when fully compressing the brake pedal.. The front brakes locked up immediately....Steve, I really don't see the LS calipers being much different from the Supra big brake calipers so I would like to know your thoughts on that?..

Those LS calipers are from a 95-00 LS. 94 and earlier years have the 2 pistons like the SC. Your rims and my rims won't fit the LS unless you'll go with 1/2" spacers. That's why I bought these new rims with the lower offset. The offset that fits the LS caliper is 30 and lower. I don't use any wheel spacers. Your rims have about 45 offset so that's why the spokes sink in more. The lower the offset, the spokes will tuck out more and clear the brake. This offset won't affect the rubbing. That's why most exotic cars with big brakes that always have the wheel spokes tucking out at the wall of the rim's lip.

After this upgrade, the braking distance is a lot shorter by all means. It almost stops the car right away even though the car is under full boost. As you already know, when your car is under NOS, it's not easy to stop the car. It's the same as with the turbo kicking in.

Getting a slight little squeek noise when stopping..It's just a little one on the front pads..I even used the anti brake squeek grease on the back of the pads....MAN I HATE Brake vibration noise... I should have bought the anti squeek brake formula that the dealer recommends to use that is applied onto the front of the brake pads...Darn it!!!

Maybe the pads are just breaking in and that little squeel noise is temporary, (wishful thinking) if not I will fix it, lubricate, fabricate, manipulate, rehabilitate, and regergitate accordingly...

Jake my friend what are you saying now? Real brake pads WTF? EBC and OEM brake pads are a real as they get..Those are what I only use now...Even those high quality pads can squeek on you sometimes if you don't turn those rotors and don't use the anti squeek products at installation as recommended...

Curious? What are real brake pads then Sir Jake? Teach me something I don't already know if you can? Try to be civil too if that's possible....

I have often wondered if 4 piston brake calipers would be less likely to squeek over the 2 piston calipers as there is more evenly distubuted brake pressure throughout the pad when stopping...Hmmmmm?

Good racing pads make a crap load of noise. enough noise where the uneducated car people all want to bench mecanic your car telling the breaks need to be changed. anything that the effective heat range goes into the 1000deg F area.

the Hawk DTC series and any of the Performance Friction Compounds would be an example of this. I wouldnt ever trust an oem or an oem replacment to do the job on a highly modifed car.

oh and SBC Breaks doent exist as a company so no they are not real breaks :) its EBC you ment to say witch arnt at all bad pads.

Well here is another story - I got the OEM Toyota factory pads on the front and EBC's on the rears now...After several days of driving the new OEM brake pads have a tiny squeek at times when stopping....No biggie, and that should correct itself hopefully.....

However, I did noticed the Ceramic EBC pads are giving off alot of brake dust on the rims after just 4 days..... The OEM brake pads hardly omit any brake dust onto the rims at all... I must say the OEM pads are the best..

Here are the pics, and this may be the last time I ever use the EBC reds again...Unfortunate to say the least, but I just hate having to clean the rims more often then needed.... I guess if any of you guys like the red brake pad look you can always buy some red high temp spray paint and paint other pads to look the same as the EBC's.. Little prep, prime and spray..

The close up pic is of the rear rim showing the accumalitive brake dust...The other pic really doesn't tell the true story... I thought ceramic pads give off the least amount of brake dust? I also thought the OEM's are ceramic too?...Something is a miss??????????

Trivial thread about brake pads but what else to talk about?:tongue: