Using a 1993 LS400 A341E in a swap.

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

GSMnow

The 93 LS uses the ruber drivetrain coupling at the transmission output. My car (a 1983 Celica GT-S) uses a slip yoke. I know the A341 and 340 share many parts, and people on this list have changed out the output shaft to use the 341 in a 4X4 truck setup. My question is about a much easier thing to do.

If we just sawed off the threaded extension area past the splines, will a slip yoke from a non IRS A340 fit into the back of the 341?

My Celica is an IRS setup, so it does not need much travel, but it does need some to allow for body flex. I thought about using the rubber drive and just the U-jopint at the diff, but installing that setup will require removing the rear diff from the car, and the driveshaft length will have to be EXACT for the rubber alone to give enough movement. If a slip yoke can fit in the end of the trans without requiring the output shaft to be changed, it will certainly make life much easier. I can use a 1 piece shaft and the length only has to be within 1 inch or so and it should all still work fine with no binding. We have not yanked the drive flange for the rubber joint off if the trans yet, so I don't even know what the shaft looks like under it, or if it is self supported like a slip yoke output shaft has to be. I hope someone on this list can help out with info about the output shaft setup. Looking at the outside, it sure looks like my W58 slip yoke might just fit.

Gary M.

My car is now driving, but I am using the rubber coupling for now. It appears that there is no support bushing in the tail housing to handle the side forces of a slip yoke. What I did find, and plan to do on my car, is to use the U-joint from the transfer case end of a 4x4 truck front drive shaft. There is a slip yoke section in the drive shaft to allow for the front suspension to move to a fixed flange mounted on the output of the transfer case. So all I need to do is make a plate that bolts onto the big 3 point flange on the trans, and then bolt the drivshaft flange to that. I already picked up a used 4x4 driveshaft, and it has plenty of movement for my IRS, and would probably be enough for even a normal live axle sewtup. To keep everything running true, I am planning on having the center of my plate bored to fit snug on the pilot sticking out of the trans so the 3 bolts only key it for rotation. I am even thinking of using 3 steel sleaves that will fit snug in the holes for that with bolts through them. The plate will be about 1/2 inch thick and then it will be bored on the back side for the pilot ridge sticking out of the U-joint so again, the 4 bolts are just for rotation, just as they are in the 4x4 truck. Snce my car is IRS, I only need enough movement to allow for body flex, aned to make it so the shaft can be installed/removed without having to move the trans or diff. I also plan to make the shaft a single part. Eliminate the center bearing and third U-joint. That will give me alot more room where the exhaust crosses from right to left.

I hope this makes sense. Feel free to ask questions. When I actually start making the parts, I will try to get good pictures and dimensions.

Gary M.

Why not just use the drive flange off Hilux automatic a340h? It bolts straight on . All you need is a 40x55 seal to suit. I have not got my camera today so I cannot post a picture until next week.

That looks perfect. You say the seal is a different size? Will the stock one from the 4Runer A340H fit in our A341E? Is the shaft still supported properly? Any year range I need to look for, 95 and up maybe? If the price is not crazy, I will just buy that from Toyota. It should be a small drop compared to the custom drive shaft I am having built.

Once that flange is on, it just looks like we need to chop off some of the pilot shaft sticking out of the middle for the U-joint to bolt up. Is this correct? That basically makes what I was planning, but without the 1/2 inch thick aluminum plate in there.

You need a different seal. There is a bearing immediately behind the flange to give support. The transmission is found in Toyotas up to 1995 and also in some Isuzus.

Attachments

• Front Left Shot TestBed.JPG
    Front Left Shot TestBed.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 67
  • Left Mount on Test Bed.JPG
    Left Mount on Test Bed.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 60
  • Bellhouse Mount Closeup.JPG
    Bellhouse Mount Closeup.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 61
You need a different seal. There is a bearing immediately behind the flange to give support. The transmission is found in Toyotas up to 1995 and also in some Isuzus.

Is this off a 4x4 T-case or off a 2WD automatic tranny? Just the flange and seal is all that's required, not the tailshaft housing as well?

A340H is a toyota 4x4 box with hydraulic transfer case. The flange and seal is all you need

Cool, I take it this is the flange off the rear of the transfer case? Does anyone have Toyota part numbers for the flange and seal?

Attachments

• DSC02702.jpg
    DSC02702.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 21