Underdrive Pulley for 1uz-fe!!

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

xirforever

They are finnally here. I have been working very hard on this project and will be fitting it on today. I will post back on how the test drive goes!! Here are some pictures, sorry im not the best photagrapher, plus i did these in a rush as i am very excited to get this installed!

since im sure you put it on by now? whats it like does it pull alot harder? etc?
post info price?

What will you do about a damper?

The harmonic balancer is designed to dampen the oscillations of the crank (primarilly when #1 cylinder fires) and stop it snapping.

lspower said:
since im sure you put it on by now? whats it like does it pull alot harder? etc?
post info price?

I just put it in, man what a huge pain the but without the right tool i needed... anway i put it in, kinda pulls a little bit harder, it could just be me tho, however i did notice it reved much faster. I havent gotten down the weights yet, but the stock one weighs about 6 lbs, this one is under 2. Ill get specifics soon. Havent situated price with david just yet, we need like a day or two more to work that bit out as we havent even talked about it yet.

As far as the harmonic balancer goes, people have been doing it for a long time taking them off and whatnot, and most of those engines dont have 6 bolt mains. But i did notice this, with my stock system the belt tensioner kinda jumped up and down a bit, like it vibrated and moved up and down. After i put on this new pulley, its COMPLETELY smooooooooth. Almost looks like that tensioner isnt supposed to move at all its so smooth.

I only got to drive it for about 1 minute in my neighborhood, ill post back tomarrow. And i will deffidentally need a new belt, man does that sucker squeek when revved! Maybe its just cuz i took out the loop for the fan pulley, doesnt wrap around the crank pulley enough.

And one last note, with the 15% reduction all electronic systems run absolutely fine, that was a relief.

It seems like it would be much smarter to at least leave on the stock dampener? Better yet make a provision for an S.F.I. dampener made for a chevy or ford or something. You also might want to file in a small notch and paint it for the TDC timing mark.

toad007 said:
It seems like it would be much smarter to at least leave on the stock dampener? Better yet make a provision for an S.F.I. dampener made for a chevy or ford or something. You also might want to file in a small notch and paint it for the TDC timing mark.

The way the pulleys are made you cant just take off the dampner and add it to the new pulley. The dampner is actually part of the pulley.

You are correct, the machine shop forgot to add the mark, sorry about that guys. They will be there though. Also i am looking into taking them to a shop to have them balanced so they are perfect.

I'm getting a smaller belt today david, no more squeek!

xirforever, I like the machining and the idea is good, but i wondered about no Harmonic balancer so i went digging, have a read of this article what do you think, does anyone else have an opinion. and this comment at the end of the article, probably sums it up
"These considerations are Performance, Reliability (Warranty), Driveability, Emissions, Value, Fit and Finish. We feel that the power pulley is a bad way to get extra power from and engine and the potential for serious engine damage is too great."
More Info
Regards
Lambo

Lots of Mustangs, Vets and other domestic cars using underdrive pulley to decrease power lost. How do they deal with that problem? ASP Pulleys made many pulleys that way. I wonder how they are dealing with the above issues.

Hi David , it looks like they build a smaller pulley with the damper in it, have look at this http://home.austin.rr.com/ferghome/pulleys.html in the article it says
Several companies make pulleys for the Mustang; I chose ASP -- they offer an attractive set that includes a harmonic damper integrated with the new crank pulley. also David how do you change the url link to say moreinfo as it now says above.
also found this they make a pulley for the 4.7 tundra on their website maybe they do a 1uz but don't list it http://www.aspracing.com/frame.htm
Best Regards
Lambo

Very good article, but i too would like to know how some engines never "mess up" their crank with these pulleys? Also, i dont know much about BMW engines, do they have 2 bolt mains? And with our stronger setup to avoid bending with our 6 bolt mains, wouldnt this help out? From the article when they say he has seen sheering of the hub and flywheel, i take it that this is from vibrations? Becuase he did not mention the crank snapping. And if it is from vibrations i could not feel any, wouldnt you be able to feel vibrations strong enough to sheer off hub pulleys and/or flywheel/TC?? Its amazing how you can never know enough, lol.

Attachments

• 16~9~04 003.jpg
    16~9~04 003.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 43
  • 16~9~04 007.jpg
    16~9~04 007.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 16~9~04 011.jpg
    16~9~04 011.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 39
xirfoever,
Yes i would have thought that the vibes would be felt, but i guess they are very small oscillations at all different frequencies high frequencies will kill components just the same as low, depending on the RPM at the time, and as they occur with each firing etc there are plenty of them at say 5000 RPM,it must be a problem if the ASP people above still put a rubber balancer in their product, on a slightly different product i noticed that my Audi 4wd transaxel has a huge rubber donut mounted to the rear of the tailshaft housing, it wraps right around the tail shaft casing , i did some digging and discovered the reason it was put there was to stop harmonics distroying the syncro rings if you were to over rev the gearbox in Neutral, heres a case where there was not even a Cylinder firing just a bunch of gears and an output shaft turning. I guess life would be pretty boring if we all arrived on this planet and knew everything about everything, as long as we are still breathing there is always something to learn, and someone who has more knowledge than we do.
Regards
Lambo

The dampener is there to reduced the torsional or twisting vabrations in the crank, not any sort of bending force. It does not matter if you have ten bolt mains it will not reduce these vibrations.

If you look at the diagram, in the 'more info' article, it shows the twisting vibration getting larger as you get further from the flywheel and closer to the front of the crank. Oddly enough they mount the dampener on the front of the crank!

The weight of the outer ring of the dampener has a flywheel effect and uses the rubber connection between it and the crank to resist and 'dampen' the twisting vibration.

This vibration occurs at too high a frequency to be felt by the seat of the pants.

The nissan RB motors, especially the RB30, have a harmonic frequency around 7500rpm mark and do destroy themselves on a regular basis.....

A bend pretty much is a vibration, just on a very small scale....

What kind of tool would you use to measure at what RPM the 1uz's frequency becomes leathal? Or does anyone have that information? If it's anywhere even close to 7,500 RPM's we dont have to worry as the engines limited to 6,250 RPM and you really cant make any power past 6 K RPM without some good work.

So i guess its irrelivant that the engine runs smoother with this pulley than before because the vibrations that we are worried about cant be felt?

xirfoever, you say it runs smoother, could that be the old pulley had a slight wobble in it, is it the engine that came in the car or a imported engine, ie the engine came in a container with another 50-100 dumped on top of it, i have seen a lot of pulleys and assessory drives damaged this way, could be interesting to put the old one in a lathe and a DTI, another thought that one of the assesories may have a problem pulley, and they are now turning slower.
Regards
Lambo