Project Thread Toyota Land Cruiser Turbo

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
I prefer the second one (the Greddy) or the fourth one (Blitz). The others are a lot noisier. Those are all knock-off BOVs but they should work perfectly for low boost. However, I've heard they wouldn't work above 14 psi. You'll need a flange for it, too. For adjustment, I'd say to stay in the middle.

I have over 4000 miles on the turbo and it is flawless and boosting away. im getting 14-14.5 mpg on hwy and 13 in town. The cruiser is a 96lx450 w the standard 4spd auto and 2 spd transfer case. it is the same transfer case and trany offered in the 95-97 80 series and the 98-2002 100 series offered here in the us (in the rest of the world you have more options)

Is it now decently fast? I got my NA 4.5L cruiser moving decently after a 250lb weight reduction and complete exhaust uprgrade except for headers...It actually pulls decent now compared to stock..... I can only imagine what a turbo would do for the 4.5L motors... I am really still considering copying your turbo setup to the tee.... I just need to replace the pistons rings and a few other things, as I am burning a little more oil then I would like...The power is still good but the oil consumption is not at one quart every 2000 miles or so....

Hats off to you DUSTY!!!!!

its no race car. remember that an 80 series is heavier than a expedition and I have 500lbs of additonal body armour. i also put 33inch tires on her recently (have been rock crawling in utah) But she still runs faster than most v8 suvs and the torque is great. I have raced several v8 100 series cruisers up mountain passes and they cant keep up. But untill I can afford a 7th injector and the engine management to run it, a hemi powered crysler suv will still beat me. those armadas with that 5.6 are fast too.

Dusty, You should consider changing out your stock muffler and cat...I did a quiteflow muffler, piping and a magnaflow cat and it gave my cruiser a noticeable top end punch...With the turbo flowing even more then stock I would think those changes on your Cruiser would make a big difference... That is if you have not done that stuff already....Just something to consider.....

Dusty what do you think after market headers will do for these land cruisers? I am considering a set but the stock headers look as if they flow decently by design...Not to sure what power gains to expect...Any thoughts?

How's the turbo working out for you?

Attachments

• NEWHEAD.JPG
    NEWHEAD.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 36
  • NEWHEAD2.JPG
    NEWHEAD2.JPG
    12.2 KB · Views: 36
  • ZAUST.JPG
    ZAUST.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 29
From Toyomods.com

MS-75 said:
Here’s some new dyno sheets from my session on the rollers yesterday.
The valve-spring upgrade has eliminated the valve-bounce, as can be seen from the smooth power curve.
The copper gasket and o-rings wasn’t 100% successful, but not a disaster either. It does have a leak near the front of the motor, but I’m unsure what exactly is causing it yet. I haven’t re-torqued it following assembly so that may have something to do with it-overall I was pretty happy with it though.
Interestingly with the valve-springs fixed it still maxed out at 23psi. What’s now clear is that it is the 7.5psi waste-gate springs that are to blame for that. I’ll have to go up to 15psi springs to be able to wind the boost past 23psi. Given the power though and the slight leak it developed we were happy to cap the day at 23psi. I’ve also decided that for now 23 psi is a good limit to run with the gas
Timing was kept quite conservative again as we plan to attack that next session with the nitrous.
Previously the car was running 420’s on the dyno, with the one bullshit 440kw pull done after letting it cool down for an hour. Yesterday it yanked off 10 440+rwkw runs, back to back, heatsoaked to f**k. Awesome. Brett (Tuner) reckons that there’s probably 490 or so in it at this boost as the knock sensor didn’t even blink for the whole session. We used the same timing as for AVGAS, but it was running 50/50 Martini 110/Caltex Vortex so there’s a few degrees left to go still. However-I’m happy with staying conservative till we get on top of the cylinder sealing 100%, and then we’ll use the nos.
2nd to last run of the session was 444rwkw, and then we locked the converter for the final pull, which clocked up 455rwkw. Have a look at the different shape of the power graphs.
ape2goodpe2.jpg

ape1goodja5.jpg

Anyway-that was the wash-up, and there are still some gremlins to chase, but there is stll lots more power on offer with perseverance.
Cheers
Sean
MS-75 said:
Here's some pics from the day.
The dyno room at Wests is great, and the equipment is as good as it gets.:)
ape201006gtd6.jpg

ape201006bpv0.jpg

NOTE THE SPECIAL SIMEX DYNO TYRES-AWESOME:)
ape201006emr5.jpg

ape201006dup4.jpg

This one's nice too. :)

Dusty, If your still out their - I'm wondering how your homemade turbo setup is working on your FJ80 Landcruiser? Need an update and if you wish you would have done something different...

How's your stock tranny holding up under the boost? The rpm band stinks on these motors...Wondering if you have any regrets?