Project Thread Toyota Land Cruiser Turbo

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Nice work... I like the choice of IC. Low top to bottom design. You are officially a Lextremer...LOL... Have thought about using W2A instead? That will save lots of pippings. You can direct from the turbo to the intake via the W2A IC. Looks like lots of room. Its T2 not a H2. LOL

I was actually smiling reading your post...Powering by those other mighty trucks must have been a real gas..., right on..:headbang: .I just took my Cruiser recently to UTAH from Cali, and would have loved to have your set up....Man talk about a sleeper on the hill climbs.....

In regards to running rich they already get horrible gas mileage and now I can only imaging with a turbo setup,...eeeeeks..Still worth it...... Anyway, sweet, impressive, and I may have to do what you just did...Sounds and looks way too good from your description and pictures.... Do you think you can pull a big boat with it now with out struggling? Man we should hook up, where in Cali do you live?...SteveChumo and I are friends and would love to check out your work..and we both live in or around the LA area....Congrats.....Also I must say that was very daring of you to take that Cruiser on a long trip right after that kind of work was finished. I am guessing you brought alone the whole tool chest in the back seating area just in case.........

Lastly, Curious living in Cali what are you going to do about smog checks?

Dusty,

Patience and hardwork paid you off! I can see that your Lexus can be taken to Iraq for some real testing. I'm sure you can beat those marine hummers in the mountains, maneuvering around the mines, and you can also dodge some AK rounds throwing at you...Or to say the least, your SUV armored pieces should be able to stop some mortar fragments in case your stock fuel pump doesn't support enough boost. :slaphappy

Anyhow, you should have at least an A/F gauge to monitor the A/F condition. Don't overlook or overestimate the stock fuel pump. I haven't seen any forced induction systems that lasted without an enriched fuel system. It might even "pre-ignite" due to the lean condition without you hearing or knowing it. Perhaps (I'm guessing) you can get away with it for now because your Lexus SUV fuel system could have been a little richer than Stochoimetric condition. Let us know of any new updates.

Stevie boy,,,, Irak, hummers, your getting a little silly and I like it..... However, I have a friend that actually owns an H1 hummer and it is an absolute beast of an offroad car, not practical, not confortable, top speed is like 60mph, but a true beast.... with independant suspension on each wheel...Locking differentials, killer suspension, and with more torque then you will ever need...I don't think we can consider Toyota's or Lexus's in the same league as those military hummers...

The H1 hummer is a real off road machine.....Anyway, I know you were just kidding around... Funny.....

Pro-i am happy with the manifold. it is responsive and isn't getting hot. I tried to keep tight gas control with my pair of secondary runners as suggested-nice tip fellas.

Jibby-I actually live in colorada but will be mocing to fresno ca in july (actually hanford). I go through LA all the time to visit the inlaws. We can meet sometime. Landcruisers are hardcore. Mine has factory front, rear, and center diff locks. it has factory full floating 9 inch high pinioned solid axles. H1's are way cool for their wow factor and are excellent war machines as they have a 10,000 lb payload capacity.....but they are not the best rockcrawlers-too heavy, too fat, very hard to modify....but I want one real bad. check out the http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=57788se 80 series. About the only thing more hardcore out of the box is a jeep rubicom
And I took all the tools with me as well as the oe exhaust manifold and downpipe just in case. Im lextreme but not stupid. I could have removed the turbo and returned her to oe in a couple hours on the side of the road if needed. I also took a full size extinguiser and welding gloves.
And i do have a narrow band a/f ratio that occilates as it is suposed to. When I am boosting hard the a/f ratio reads solid green (rich). I hear no pinging and I hane in the past under load in high heat. I swear she runs better with the turbo.

Dusty said:
....And I took all the tools with me as well as the oe exhaust manifold and downpipe just in case. Im lextreme but not stupid. I could have removed the turbo and returned her to oe in a couple hours on the side of the road if needed. I also took a full size extinguiser and welding gloves.
And i do have a narrow band a/f ratio that occilates as it is suposed to. When I am boosting hard the a/f ratio reads solid green (rich). I hear no pinging and I hane in the past under load in high heat....
You're too careful, Dusty. It's good to hear you only use the stock fuel system with turbo and it's running rich. That seems different from what I know. Maybe I haven't worked on these cars so I don't know. I don't doubt your technicality, but make sure the A/F gauge is working properly. If everything is well, just keep boosting. Don't let that 4000 RPM pulls you back.

If you can also install a complete bigger exhaust system from the downpipe and all the way through the mufflers, you'll even gain a lot more free horsepower/torques.***When you're ready with everything and can, put on a dyno and let us know the result. Good luck!

I only went off-roading with a Toyota 4 Runner 4x4 and I found its midsize is very convenient to maneuver on super narrow paths. I don't know about your Lexus or Hummer H1. I like big SUVs for cruising but I prefer my 4 Runner when I go off-roading. :veryhappy

Dusty I grew up on the older Landcruisers, the FJ40's mostly, we dropped chevy's in them like flipping hotcakes.....My older brother currently owns a showroom 74 LandCruieser...Infact, those older landcruisers make better for rock climbing and offroading in general because of the shorter body and wheel base...The newer ones like ours are more designed by Toyota for luxury and you are correct they are harder to modify and heavy.... However, your testomony that the newer ones can be modified......

For the newer Landcruiser's and for them to be effective offroad they really need to be raised up...Center ground clearance is minimall in comparison to the older jeep style types.... I can go on all day about these landcruisers new and old and infact I am more familiar with the older landcruisers then the current SC400's that I always post about.....

Dusty, are you still riding on the stock suspension? It appears that way from the pic's. You got to lift these babies if you want them to be affective on tough ground...A few months ago I got stuck in my LandCruiser when I was camping out near the Kern river...had to climb a loose dirt hill and when I reached the top I teter totered and the center bottom of my Cruiser got stuck...I thought I could get up enough speed to scrap and clear the top. Let's just say I was wrong...so out came the shovel and the lower back....My older cruiser would have jumped and got air off the top of that hill...Anyway my current Cruiser is lighter then stock and has a little more juice then stock too, but in my opinion they still ride way too low for my offroad taste....

These are pic's off my boring stock looking but very clean 93 Cruiser...You can see how low they ride at stock height...Removing the running boards help a bit... Now that black 74 LandCruiser Pic you see is my claim to fame Cruiser, with a modified 283 V8 Chevy Small block in it, built suspension, Etc..completely restored and modified for off road abuse was a monster...That was my baby, and I sold it to buy my first house. I almost cried seeing that drive off with the new owner smiling ear to ear....No regrets though my Santa Monica house went up ten times in value since the purchase date....

But oh I miss that bad boy..... Story over....

Steve
If I believe the a/f ratio guage is working fine. it occiltates just like the narrow band on friend's gauges. it is reading rich on higher boosts--WOT? But like I said I havn't pushed it above 4000rpms as there have been complaints from the guys with the eaton 90 supercharger on this motor that it will run lean above 4000rpms with oe fuel pump and 6psi. Several on the ih8mud.com furum have solved thus problem by running the supra tt fuel pump-thats why said pump is in the mail right now-I want to run over 4k without wondering if my pump is sufficient-it dont take long to burn a motor running lean-one good mountain pass would do it. And 4runners rock. But a stock 80 series cruiser will clean up a stock 4 runner.

Jibbby
sweet 80 series. ground clearance is an issue with these trucks but it's no fauslt of the suspension--your truck will have a whole new potential without the oe running boards-they are for rich old people. the reason you got stuck is that spare-they hang so damn low--throw it in the back and try again.
I had a 79 fj40 with a chebby small block in the early 90's --two of em as the first motor blew. The 40 series are nice but they have semifloating axles with smaller ring gears and smaller birfields. The high pinion 80 series axles are much stronger. And look at your front radius arms-they are 3 feet long-toyota built it with a "long arm kit" as opposed to those short little stamped arms on the new tj's. perhaps your rig didn't come with the dual electric locker option but you can lock your center diff with a $50 oe switch avail from sleeoffroad.com-your cruiser is already wired for it-just remove the black plastic radio cover and plug it in. your stock 80 series cruiser will outwheel a stock 40 series anyday unless you are in tight trees. the 80 series has more ground clearance than 40 and the stock 80 has 31 inch tires and the 4.5l 1fzfe is twice the motor (2f) in the old 40 series. The 80 series transfer case is an all gear unit as aposed to the chain drive stuff in those early cruisers. You can bolt a 305/75/r16 right on with no lift and the tires will stuff hard with just a smidge of rubbing. Everbody runs 288/75/r16 (33's) with no lift and its like the truck was realy made for this tire. if you buy a $700 ome lift kit you can run 35's with no problem and nothing short of a wrangler tj on big meats can hang with you. Look at the pics I posted above-90% of these rigs are running a cheap OME lift and 35's or smaller. here is a stock 40 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ONE-OWNER-LOW-MILES-ORIGINAL-FJ-40-LAND-CRUISER_W0QQitemZ4643303015QQcategoryZ6443QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
That rubicon monster you had there is far from stock.
I have personally owned and wheeled a 79cj7, 86 cj7, 84ladanida, 86ford bronco, and 94 Grand cherokee. bronco had small lift and 33's and my grand has pucks and 31's. my cruiser with stocks wheels and syuspension will walk all over them. Granted the cruiser has lockers, good approach/departure angles with my custom bumpers, and I have removed the running boards. The 100 series cruisers can stuff 35/s with a simple extension bracket for the IFS. Exuse my rant brother but I don't want you to dismiss that machine you drive--if the russions attack you will be glad you have it.

Dusty - You are correct when comparing the stock 40 to 80 series, the 80 series kicks butt all day long stock to stock.....However the 40 series landcruiser are very easy to modify and drop those Chevy's in...I even had power steering on that.....and yes the axles are weak and spindles too as I had 35" super swapper on that 74" and broke my front axle once and spindal once on a jump and on a hard packed dirt hill climb with mogals.....Then upgraded after that.....Also twisted my stock Tranny gear box up with that torquey little 283 Small Block Chevy which is hard to do but that was a serious little engine I had in that Cruiser....

I also owned a modified and lifted 85 Montero two door it was so light in weight and was lifted and modified to the tea...I was definetely pulling the most out of that little four banger motor..I would say that little Montero I could just about hang with my older Landcruiser, almost but not quite.

Dusty, I too owned a 95 Eddie Bauer Bronco lifted etc...Too many rattles and tranny problems, believe it or not I also owned the 93 Jeep grand Cherokee V8 model and again those cars fall apart after off roading as you yourself probably experienced that.......

amen brother
toyota builds sweet machines throughout. But i guess this forum knows that. mitsu makes a good truck too-their machines consistently kick A in autocross events oversees. I too have seen some great built mitsus-just not many on this side of pacific. my ford rattled too and my grand blows-the vicous coupler in the t-case is currently locked up so it takes me like 50 feet to turn around--POS

Well Dusty, It appears you really know your Cruisers...those 100 series I would be too afraid to scratch offroading...Too nice for that kind of abuse....

Wicked turbo in that one 80 series landcruiser..I have been told our trannies can hold upto 400rwhp...Do you know the max hp tranny limit on your 450LX and 80 series cruisers?

the 80 series cruiser was made from 91-97. in 91 and 92 it had a 4.0L motor called the 3fe. the 3fe was also used in the 1990 60 series cruiser. The 3 fe is basicly just a fuel injected destroked 2f that was introduced decades ago. in 93-94 toyota intruduced the 1fzfe-dual overhead cam 4 valves/cyl developing 212 hp and 275 ftlbs of torque. This motor was only discontinued last year-it has been the base model in the australian and venezualian produced 100 sereis since the 100 series was introduced in 1998-the motor develops more power in these later years-around 220hp-apparently realized with better spark management. in 1995 toyota went to obdII for this motor and went from speed density to MAF.
the 80 series cruiser in the us is offered in a 4 speed auto only (5sp manual all over rest of world) the auto tranny was a bit beefier in the early years and changed a bit in 1995 when toyota went to obd2. All of them are robust. The 100 series cruiser used the same trany till 2003 when they went to their silky 5 speed auto. Most would agree that this 4 speed auto can take more torque than a stock 700r4 and for this reason most who swap small blocks into the 80 keep the toyota tranny. I havn't heard of a tyrany failing to forced induction but their is a valve body upgrade http://www.importperformancetrans.com/toyotaauto.shtml that some have installed for crisper shifts. mine shifts firm with the turbo

another question
If i get off throttle quickly under boost I get a wump wump wump wump noise which must be the compressor slamming air against a closed throttle body. I immagine a BOV could eliminate any worries this may be causing. Do I need a BOV if I only run 7ish psi? If no damage is to happen to the turbo I would just as well leave off the BOV.

probably wouldn't hurt, you could try a cheap ebay one if you don't want to spend to much. One guy used one on his sc300 and said it worked just as well as the big names.

Dusty said:
another question
If i get off throttle quickly under boost I get a wump wump wump wump noise which must be the compressor slamming air against a closed throttle body. I immagine a BOV could eliminate any worries this may be causing. Do I need a BOV if I only run 7ish psi? If no damage is to happen to the turbo I would just as well leave off the BOV.
You should get a BOV... because the compressed air have no place to release and prolong of this will hurt your compressor.... just make sure your BOV is before the MAF in a blow thru system....

Dusty said:
so what up--do I need a BOV?
Yes, you definitely need a BOV immediately. A BOV will save your turbo. When you release the throttle, the throttle plate is shut down and the air is pushed back to the turbo. This air will erupt with the turbo compressor blades while the blades still try to turn, and it'll eventually damage the bearings/seals inside the turbo. So with the BOV in line, it'll release the air to the atmosphere when the throttle blade is closed, which means the excessive air will not be pushed back to the turbo. For your low boost turbo, a mid-size BOV will do the job.

$30-50 ebay clone BOV & $5-15 used DSM bov's are both unearthly common.
I have an ebay clone. I like it. The only problem you ever really hear about with something like a chinese clone BOV is that some need to be tightened up alot when you get them.