Transaxial for 1UZFE

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Lextreme II

Just call me "Lex"
Hey Everyone,

I got a friend giving me a Dune Buggy with no engine. I am thinking about putting in a 1UZFE in the rear. This will be a rear engine setup and I would like to know which transaxial and adapter would work on the 1UZFE.

Thanks for your response....

Lex,

I don't know of any adaptors to suit any transaxles.

I would be guessing but I would think the dune buggy originally had a VW engine and gearbox in it.

Assuming it did I would think the 1UZ would bolt up with a simple alloy adaptor to the VW box.

The VW gearbox is pretty strong and I would think it would handle the torque as the vehicle would weight next to nothing.

Hi David, I would not recommend the standard vw gearbox, i would go with a renault 21 turbo or r25 un1 box, i believe they were put in the Jeep Medalian over your end of the world, or the Audi 016 from the Audi 5000, the Audi is my choice, they are now very cheap and easy to find, Renaults have better ratio's but can be hard to find, i have heeps of info on which models etc if you need it.
Regards
Lambo

Lambo,

I'll beg to differ.

The frame is set up for a VW transaxle so by using a VW unit everthing will fit without going into major work.

A kit for the engine/trans is available so all you need to do is suport the rear of the engine and then the usual wiring, plumbing etc. You would need to support the rear etc regardless of what box you used.

The thing would weigh less than 600kg fully laden and if driven with a little sense it would be fine. They race lots of buggies with big power and VW boxes.

hi Zuffen, not a problem, i guess it depends if he puts the engine infront or behind the trans, behind would be easier no inversion etc ,just figured it wouldn,t be long and David might put twin Turbos on it heheh
Regards
Lambo

Think of it with the engine out the back. Endless wheelstands!

I looked at the chassis and putting the engine in front of the trans is major-major surgery.

You would need to get rid of the torsion bar rear and go to different trailing arms and coil overs. Additionally you'd need to stretch the wheelbase.

I'm still trying to get acost on the VW/1UZ adapters.

www.kennedyeng.com

thats the link for the website.

i would also not recomend just using a vw box.

a standard vw box would die under the torque/power of the 1uzfe. however if you do decide to have a go at running a vw box. make sure it is the single side plate box from the later L bugs. with the 3.88 final drive. they are stronger in standard form than the other 4.125 boxes.

you could run a vw box that would handle the strain of the bigger motor.

just contact.

www.ranchoperformance.com

they do built VW boxes. this is what most people run with powerful engines.

another option is the kombi box. slightly stronger and i believe the ratios are better suited to off road vehicles.

Anthony