toyotav8.com's R154 to 1uz adaptor install

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

4U2QUIK

First off here's the t56 throwout bearing
100_2779.jpg
On the left hand side it has a slip fitting that is retained by a roll pin
100_2780.jpg
remove the roll pin and the big orange gm fitting slides right out.
Go ahead and toss this piece as it's useless for this swap.
100_2781.jpg
now use the slip fitting that came with the kit and slide it into the t56 throwout bearing.
Then replace the roll pin.
100_2784.jpg
100_2786.jpg

now remove the fitting on the other side and replace with the fitting that's shrink wrapped to a piece of cardboard with a crush washer and be sure to use the crush washer or else IT WILL LEAK!!!
100_2788.jpg
100_2789.jpg
Now you're done with setting up the t56 bearing for use with the braided steel clutch lines.

Chapter II
Unfortunately I do not have any pics right this second for this section. But I'll post the instructions now and the pics later.

Basically you cut the guide tube that's on the bearing retaining plate off flush with the plate.

CHAPTER III

Remove and toss all of this stuff from the automatic.
ABSOLUTELY DO NOT USE THE SPACER FOR THE AUTOMATIC FLEXPLATE BEHIND THE FLYWHEEL!!!!!!
ABSOLUTELY DO NOT RE-USE THE FLYWHEEL BOLTS FROM THE AUTOMATIC FLEXPLATE!!!!!

100_2790.jpg

Now here's the back of the crank. Your pilot bearing goes in here.
100_2792.jpg

next install the flywheel with your new flywheel bolts that you just bought. You should probably get them from summit racing.
here's the link http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ARP-203-2802/

100_2795.jpg
and here's the flywheel installed with the ARP bolts I bought from summit.

100_2796.jpg
Install your clutch
With the cast flywheel there are several options for clutch setups. Typically I suggest either using the 3SGTE MR2 21 spline clutch kit or the 1990 4runner clutch kit because both clutches work complete as a set with this flywheel.

100_2797.jpg
Install your pressure plate, and now you're engine is prepped for install!

Last edited:
CHAPTER IV
563078_276130889147790_1440392722_n.jpg
Once again I'm a little short on picturees, but basically you drill two holes for your clutch lines to go out the bellhousing and then bolt everything together Like so.

100_2798.jpg
Now that you've accomplished bolting it together you're done.

Sorry if I'm a little short on description for some parts of the install. But, I'm mostly trying to focus on the parts where people get stuck the most often.

Last edited:
A question on set up...

Hi 4U2QUIK
I have enjoyed your thread on throw out bearings so thanks for taking the time to post...
I have a couple of questions on setting up..

The picture that I have of my set up is with the spring removed and the bearing back as far as it will go.

I think I read that the correct way to set these up was to aim to have the bearing forward 2mm when all bolted together is this correct?

The spring when installed has a fair amount of tension on it when positioned all the way back +2mm, should I soften the spring or just use as is...?

This question is about removing the inner guide tube as this is causing me problems as it will foul the 924 porsche clutch that i plan to use... can I shorten the inner tube to within a couple of millimetres of fully back postion and still have it function properly..? (Is that how chapter 2 is meant to read)

I read a recommendation that you made about clutch pressures... I plan to build a car that weights about 800-850KGS and wondered what sort of face pressures I should be looking for..? (street use only) The clutch outside diameter is 215mm to fit inside the bellhousing so maybe a honda pressure plate..?

Cheers Craig

YoungCNC

Attachments

• T56 TOB set up.jpg
    T56 TOB set up.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 248
  • t56 TOB set up 2.jpg
    t56 TOB set up 2.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 241
OK So I have question about setting the gap between the throwout bearing and pressure plate. Some hydro throwout bearings use shims, Is that now how the T56 throwout works? Is all that taken care of with the adapter plate? :confused:

4U2QUIK: This is a great thread. Aside from installing the clutch pedal and lines, I would feel confident with this job.

Question 1: I wouldnt mind installing a manual into my GS400. Say I get a T56 and the rest of the conversion parts, what would be necessary to get the clutch pedal installed and the rest of the system finished? (speed sensor, mounts, ETC)

Question 2: Is there any way to trick the ECU into thinking that the factory auto is still there? If I could pull the conversion off cleanly w/o CEL, i'll start saving up for this.

Question 3: Any tips on sourcing a well priced T56? I would love to have the 0.50:1 ratio for 6th gear but I believe that only comes standard on the viper. With the factory 3.25 rear end, I would get a huge bump in freeway MPG as well as more tq from that extra ratio (not to mention optimized ratios throughout).

Question 4: Do you know if aftermarket ratios can be found for the T56? Specifically 6th gear.

Thanks again for starting this thread, wealth of info!

I've never done a manual swap on a gs so I really couldn't give you a qualified answer as far as what's needed to do so. But if it's anything like doing a ls400 you will need to build a self contained clutch pedal and find a spot to bolt it in. (I used the e-brake pedal mounting points and moved the e-brake to the middle between the seats.

for the cel light I need to know what year your gs is, some years you can go manual with no cel, some years you are out of luck as far as I know.

Finding a t56 can be a tricy proposition as there aren'ttoo many trustworthy places to find used ones. I can probably find onr for you but it will be at a premium to be honest.

one of my concerns with the t56 in the gs is clearance, the t56 is a massive transmission an often times people have to widen their transmission tunnels to make them fit.

and, there are several aftermarket option for gearing on the t56.

hope this helps

Thanks for the update. My gs is a 98 (the year they went vvti). Im not dead set on the t56 but the possibility of a 0.5:1 ratio top gear is one of my biggest selling points. That old "cake and eat it too" adage where I get more useable torque with a cruise ship of a top gear. Im really not too familiar with the options in my case however I have access o several wrecking yards and sourcing a box is the easy part.

I'll send u one. I got a bunch of texts that day and by the time I got to it I couldn't find your number with your info so I wasn't able to send you one.

if you tried calling the shop tanner probably would have sent one tight out. texting my personal cellphone has to be the worst way to contact me for shop stuff.

My adapter (and the rest of the kit) showed up Tuesday! The adapter looks AWESOME. It fits nice and will make life SOOO much nicer! Im a few months away from actually putting the kit to work, but once I do I will let you guys know how awesome it is!! :D

IMAG0485_zps0d5ae4c2.jpg