To decompress or not to decompress

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

striker

Hey all,

After reading 11 pages of forced induction tech forum I'm still just wondering,

Goal is somewhere inbetween 300 and 400 RWhp via a G50 transaxle box.

It will be a streetcar, and I can behave regarding my right foot. (i've just driven a renault 2.0L 8valve over 370.000kms on LPG, somthing renault considered non possible!) so, respect the tech parts, and they'll respect you in return.

I'm planning on running a vortec or rotrex (my wallet will decide on which)
it'll be intercooled. aftermarket omex710 managment, Facet Motorsport ignition etc etc.

There's no need to get more power because the goal is to get 450/500bhp per tonne, as the car will be anorexic to say the least. and I like to be alive for at least half a century to come.

I will be using a stock engine. how much boost can it handle and how much is needed to get there on a decent intercooled system, if the mapping is right offcourse.

extra question and what is possible with thicker gaskets, and where to get them?

Grtz Thomas

don't bother with either thicker gaskets OR decompressing for that power level.

the EU has fantastic fuel quality, so you shoudl be able to get that kind of power on an engine with standard internals.

however the EU has practically no aftermarket support for this engine - so you're in luck coming on here! if i lived in holland, i wouldn't be cracking the engine open except for a hone, re-ring and re-bearing.

good intercooling is a must as is a very good tune and bright spark (check out the "coil on plug" thread - honda CBR coils work a treat) to fire it all.

my opinion is, try to get that power level on stock internals (it will get there quite comfortably in this case). if you crack a piston, then you need a lower CR with forgies, so rebuild it that way.

if nothing happens and it runs sweet, you've just saved yourself a rebuild and a set of custom forged pistons. either way, you were thinking of rebuilding it, so it's not like you've got any surprises, is it?

there's a RA series celica here in west australia putting out 650rwkw on 22psi on a standard, unopened engine from the importers. okay, it runs on methanol but it's putting that thru a powerglide and a nine inch (dana style) diff. for an unopened engine (even the cams are untouched!) that's pretty damn impressive. the same engine makes 400rwkw-ish on 98RON fuel, so you can see it's still quite a monster.

Thank you very much for that info,

indeed it could save $2k if it works.

the other question is not awnsered yet, How much boost would be needed?
needs mentioning that there will be a decent 4-1 x 2 exhaust system on it.

grtz Thomas

You can easily hit 500 with twins on a stock engine. You absolutely must have good fuel management (which you have)and a good tune. Shouldn't be a problem.

What are you doing for an adapter plate and clutch. I am in the middle of this problem right now. I have a boxster tranny but it will cause the engine to sit two high if I can't flip the ring gear. SO I am looking at a G50 and a 930 gearbox. My race car will have to have the axle centerline close to 11.75 in off the ground so that puts the bottom of the tranny at 7+inches above the ground. That really sucks on a race car with a ride height of 3 inches. Puts my engine pretty high in the car.

Thats what I figured. It is a more modern design. I am also looking at the Aisin gearbox for the 997. It is a cable shifted box from the factory and it lives behind an engine rated for 350ft-lbs.

Ok then, pully's for 1 bar Max it is then. I can allways get a little less power with conservative tuning then if needed
yes don't laugh about "less" unless you've ever been in a very light vehicle and know what you're talking about. I just begin to wonder what 400rwhp and 800KG feels like, considering I know what my striker does with ones stomach at 498kg vs 123rwhp.

No it's not a Lambo, it'll be a Lola T70 replica. still have to sell my current car before the kit can be funded. RAW/Sylva striker 4age 20v.

Get a G50. the baulkring synchro's on a 915 or 930 will get you wanting one with normal copper/bronze rings like the g50 has.

I found a pile of G50's btw all used but apparantly in good condition (no garantee) they're in germany and cost about 1750 euro's a piece for a 5 speed non LSD and I think LSD ones are 2200 euro's/

I'll be using a customm flywheel, be it fidanza or owndesign havent decided yet. I'm looking at a cheap clutch combo at the moment from landrover which should fit the box and the target torque-weight,
and one could probably use a porsche plate-insert aswell. for my weight and set up that would be sufficient methinks, if not... that why it's cheap init!

grtz Thomas