Starter issues

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

stageajay

Finally got to the stage of hooking up a battery on my swap today, ecu threw a code (only 1 which suprised me, as it`s manual and the O2`s wernt connected), anyway, resolved that and decided to give it a crank. Starter spun but didnt engage, so i`m thinking two things.

A. Flexplate on backwards. Is this even possible? If so is there any offset on it that would make it possible for the pinion not to reach it?

B. Bendix not throwing out. It was all working fine in the donor before I pulled it, it`s been covered all the time since it was pulled so i doubt any water ingress. Any suggestions on how to free it without the hassle of pulling the intake and gearbox to remove the starter.

Also, I know it`s a seperate topic, but can someone confirm that FC is the ground for the fuel pump relay, i`ve been going round in circles reading posts with some saying FPR and some saying FC.

Thanks in advance, Jay

Finally got to the stage of hooking up a battery on my swap today, ecu threw a code (only 1 which suprised me, as it`s manual and the O2`s wernt connected), anyway, resolved that and decided to give it a crank. Starter spun but didnt engage, so i`m thinking two things.

A. Flexplate on backwards. Is this even possible? If so is there any offset on it that would make it possible for the pinion not to reach it?

B. Bendix not throwing out. It was all working fine in the donor before I pulled it, it`s been covered all the time since it was pulled so i doubt any water ingress. Any suggestions on how to free it without the hassle of pulling the intake and gearbox to remove the starter.

Also, I know it`s a seperate topic, but can someone confirm that FC is the ground for the fuel pump relay........

Thanks in advance, Jay

Most likely the starter contacts need replacing.

Yes, FC is ground for fuel pump relay.

Thanks for the confirmation Bushwacker.

What makes you say starter contacts (solinoid?) Solidnoid fires fine, and starter runs fine, it`s either the bendix isn`t throwing out, or isnt reaching the ringgear for some reason

Thanks for the confirmation Bushwacker.

What makes you say starter contacts (solinoid?) Solidnoid fires fine, and starter runs fine, it`s either the bendix isn`t throwing out, or isnt reaching the ringgear for some reason

I had exactly the same problem with my starter, turn the key and just got a whizzing sound and no engagement of the ring gear. The previous time I tried to start the engine, no problems.

Plunger contacts kit here....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/sis.html?...OTOR SOLENOID REPAIR KIT&_itemId=290685356471

.....but I opted for a new starter in the end.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-LA...Make:Lexus|Plat_Gen:UCF20&hash=item48457de40b

Issue found and solved. Attention anyone using a 350z gearbox. The starter pinion contacts the bellhousing meaning it can`t throw out, you need to remove a section of the bellhousing to make it work. Royal pita in my application as to remove the gearbox you need to drop the whole front subframe, luckily i managed to drop it just enough that i could rotate the gearbox 180 degrees and work on it upside down whilst still attached

Sorry, I hadn`t even considered that it could be relevant at the time, i`d assumed that with the thickness of the adaptor and the cutout in it it would have had enough room to move.

While your here bushwacker, you couldnt confirm that FC is a green/black wire as it comes off of one of the dash plugs, tested it as an earth, reading 8.7v ign on, 13.7 ingnition off, which really confused me.

Cheers, Jay

Sorry, I hadn`t even considered that it could be relevant at the time, i`d assumed that with the thickness of the adaptor and the cutout in it it would have had enough room to move.

While your here bushwacker, you couldnt confirm that FC is a green/black wire as it comes off of one of the dash plugs, tested it as an earth, reading 8.7v ign on, 13.7 ingnition off, which really confused me.

Cheers, Jay

There shouldn't be any voltage there, well maybe 0.005v.
It sends a signal to the fuel pump ECU to halve the voltage to the fuel pump at idle.

I don't bother with the fuel pump control, it's just something else to go wrong.
I wire the fuel pump using a 5 pin relay.

30--- FUEL PUMP
86---OIL PRESSURE SWITCH ON ENGINE (Or connect to 'L' wire on alternator)

85---IGNITION 12v

87a---IGNITION 12v

87---CRANK SIGNAL (12v only when cranking)

If its an ECU with FC and FPR then I havent seen them running a fuel pump ECU and simply run a circuit opening relay and fuel pump relay.
When running a fuel pump ECU they have terminals FPC and DI.

Thanks again guys, now wired up (well nearly, got distracted by other things) as per suggestion using alternator "L" feed. Few other bits to fit then fingers crossed for first fire at the weekend.