Shelby GT500

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Lextreme II

Just call me "Lex"
Supercharged 5.4 Liter with 6 speed. What do u think? Best bang for the bucks.

ShelbyCobraGT500Show_04_HR.jpg

ShelbyCobraGT500Show_14_HR.jpg

intro.jpg

The most powerful factory-built Ford Mustang in history will take to the street next year, following a unique collaboration between performance car legend Carroll Shelby and the Ford Special Vehicle Team (SVT).

Ford took the wraps off the 450-plus horsepower Ford Shelby Cobra GT500 show car at the New Year International Auto Show March 23. Designed in the unmistakable image of Shelby Mustangs of the 1960s, the Shelby Cobra GT500 melds SVT's modern engineering with the big-block performance that made the original GT500 the king of the road.

"The all-new 2005 Ford Mustang is one of the hottest cars in many years," says Phil Martens, Ford group vice president, Product Creation. "Its chassis was engineered from the beginning to be the basis of a high-performance, world-class sports car from SVT, and the Shelby Cobra GT500 is it."

Carroll Shelby lends his support to SVT, adapting his earlier role as a senior advisor on the "Dream Team" that was assembled to develop and build the 2005 Ford GT.

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

BODY
Construction Unitized welded steel body, aluminum hood
ENGINE
Type V-8

Manufacturing location Romeo, Michigan

Configuration Iron Block and Aluminum Heads

Intake manifold Cast-aluminum with screw-type supercharger and air-to-water intercooler

Exhaust manifold Cast iron

Crankshaft Forged steel

Throttle body Dual 55 mm, electronic

Valvetrain DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder

Valve diameter Intake: 37.0 mm
Exhaust: 32.0 mm

Pistons Forged aluminum

Connecting rods Cracked forged steel I-beams

Ignition Coil-on-plug

Bore x stroke 3.552 x 4.165 in. / 90.22 x 105.8 mm

Displacement 330 cu. in. / 5,409 cc

Horsepower More than 450

Torque 450 lb.-ft

DRIVETRAIN

Layout Rear-wheel drive

TRANSMISSION

Standard (Type) T-56 6-speed manual

Gear ratios

1st 2.97

2nd 1.78

3rd 1.3

4th 1.0

5th .80

6th .63

Final drive 3.31
SUSPENSION

Front Reverse-L independent MacPherson strut, 34-mm tubular stabilizer bar

Rear Three-link solid axle with coil springs, Panhard rod, 24-mm solid stabilizer bar

BRAKES

Type Four wheel power disc

Front Brembo 14-inch vented and cross-drilled disc, four-piston aluminum calipers

Rear Brembo 13-inch vented and cross-drilled disc, two-piston calipers

TIRES AND WHEELS

P255/45R19 tires and 19 x 9.5-in machined aluminum wheels

EXTERIOR

Wheelbase 107.1 in.

Overall length 188 in.

Overall width 73.9 in.

Overall height 55.7 in.

Track width, front/rear 61.9 in. / 62.5 in.

Ground clearance 5.71 in.
INTERIOR

Seating capacity 4 passenger

Headroom

Front row 38.8 in.

Second Row 36.3 in.

Legroom

Front row 42.7 in.

Second row 30.3 in.

Shoulder room

Front row 55.4 in.

Second Row 45.0 in.

Hip room

Front row 53.6 in.

Second row 45.2 in.

Cargo Volume 9.7 cu. ft.

These are preliminary specifications subject to change.

Check out the width of the blower belt. That'll transmit some power.

I agree with Peewee the engine doesn't look "together", there are bits hanging off all over the place.

Imagine what they'll get out of it with a smaller blower pulley.

I like it. I'm not a ford nut at all, in fact i kinda bash mustang lovers, but i think this one looks good. after 30 years, it's about time. You can't knock a manufacturer for puting a blower on an already strong motor. Chevy just needs to bring back the camaro with some grunt, then they can have a Horsepower war.

Poor C7 Vets... Even 500 bhp Vet will have its run for the money. Supercharged 5.4L 6 speed. This monster can easily up the boost to 550 hp. 2003 4.6L made 550 rwhp for few changes.

Yeah, not enough credit given to this motor. At least Ford build a 32v motor for the masses (unlike GM). Like Lex said, 2003+ Cobra motor + Kenne Bell supercharger upgrade = 600 rwhp on pump gas. It's hard to argue with that!

But don't underestimate the new C6 Z06. As light as it is, and considering there will be tons of mods for it, it will be a killer car.

Now if both could just get better quality control....

No credit should be given to THIS motor.

The 4.6L is an awesome machine, this is avg.

The have gota huge bottom end, which can't rev, and a set of awesome heads, that are just begging to have the **** revved out of them.
Its a really bad combination because you can't really do anything about the bottom end.

Anyhoo, that aside, the outside of car is hot, a beautiful design.
But if the interior is anything like the concept a few years ago, it was crap.

Vette's vs. Mustangs.... You guys talked about mods on the GT500 really making it move...You must consider that a standard new Vette can be mod'd quite easily to take out the GT500 any day of the weak...Also the standard C6 Vette's don't have a supercharger sitting on top of the motor like the GT500 does.. Infact I always have my eyes open to find and pull a LS1 motor out of a Camaro at the junk yards just to have for future swaps..

Simply said the LS motors are better because they are bigger and flow better... Although the GT500 is still the best bang for the buck...

I think the whole package looks thrown togther...not a fan of the body i'm afraid. The modernised retro look just didn't come off for this one....the new GT40 is a great example of how it can come off well.

For me I don’t like Ford cars …. But this one is very good comparing to the price " I here it is 40K USD" . Also you can over boost it by some how !!!

from sportscarforums 2005:

07 Shelby Cobra GT500-
If initial ratings hold once the Cobra slithers onto the street in mid-2006, it will make at least 450 hp and 450 lb-ft of tire-spinning torque. That will make the '07 Cobra the most powerful Mustang ever. The Cobra channels all that power through a heavy-duty, six-speed manual gearbox.

SVT's new marketing director, George Ayres, hints the Cobra GT500 will come in "around $40,000,"

Ford's newest pony car starts out with a modified stock Mustang. It gets a significantly stiffened suspension, 19-inch wheels, big Brembo brakes with cross-drilled rotors, Le Mans-style racing stripes and a variety of aerodynamic enhancements. Inside, buyers will find plenty of leather, ticket-me-red racing seats - to compliment the "SVT Red" exterior - and titanium-faced gauges, among other less-than-subtle touches. Immediately obvious is the fact that the base Mustang's fog lamps have been move from their inboard mount to the outer front fascia just below the bumpers. But for the signature snake, the engine can breathe unrestricted through the blacked out, crosshatch grille.

Corvette Z06
Inside every Z06 is an LS7 aluminum–block V8. It puts out a SAE-certified (Society of Automotive Engineers) 505 hp and 470 lb.–ft. of torque.

Chevy says the 2006 Z06 will accelerate from zero to 60 mph in well under 4 seconds, run the quarter-mile in the mid-11-second range and top out at 190 mph. Not bad for around $75,000.

Powering the C6 Z06 is a hand-assembled, 7,000-rpm 7.0-liter — that's 427-cubic-inch — normally aspirated small-block V8 called the LS7. It's an all-aluminum engine filled with exotic engineering, such as titanium connecting rods and intake valves, sodium-filled exhaust valves, a dry-sump oiling system, a forged-steel crankshaft and computer-machined cylinder-head porting. Horsepower and torque are a mind-bending 505 and 470 lb-ft, and it's all routed to the Vette's massive 19-inch rear tires through a six-speed manual transaxle.

Overall Comparison-
Z06-price=$75,000+
500 horsepower
3130 lbs.
0-60 under 4
1/4 mile 12 sec.
190mph top speed
475 lb of torque
7000 rpm redline
11.0:1 compression
7.0 Liter V8

Shelby Cobra GT500-price=under $40,000
450 horsepower
475 lb of torque
0-60 low 4's
5.4L V8 (Same as Ford GT)
9.5-by-18-inch wheels
Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires—255/45 front, 285/40 rear.
3850 lbs.
1/4 mile in 12.5 sec.

Keep in mind that the FORD Shelby Cobra GT500 is $35,000 Cheaper than the Corvette, pushing out close to the same horsepower, the same exact torque, close the the same 0-60, much smaller liter engine, big wheels to stop burnouts, and if I failed to mention, is $35,000 cheaper :)

Its also a good bit heavier...using a Supercharged Ford GT engine

Chevy has the new Z07 Vette out that is sporting a 7.4 liter supercharged motor and the car does 0-60mph in just a little over 2 seconds... Sticker price is right around $100,000. I believe that is what I read about it at the latest car show...It was a nice looking ride inside and out...

Being that the Z07 Vette is twice the purchase price of the GT500 and almost twice as fast the prices are comparable if you look at it that way....

it's a lump. fast, but i doubt it likes corners much with that iron block sitting in the front.

I like the mentioning of price, but last I saw the Shelby GT500's were getting marked up anywhere between $15-40,000! So basically it's in the same price range as the Z06. Perhaps that will change in time, but whatever is the top Mustang will not be had for cheap.

Now with the GT500KR coming out with 540hp, I'm sure it'll command an even heftier markup.

The 5.4 can't rev? I don't know what to say. Learn a little more about it, and don't think that there is only one version, and it shares with the F-150.

The LS series is a great engine. But it doesn't flow more air through the cylinder heads. Apples to apples means you have to compare the same displacement, and preferably cylinders.