Scimitar V8

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

BodgerBen

Hi,

I've browsed the site a lot and printed off loads of info - I've also bought a few bits off Lex and finally the wife's track day car is almost there.
So a big thank you to Lex and all those who I've pinched ideas off over the last year and a half.

My Mum's old Reliant Scimitar had a new lease of life when I persuaded dad to track day it - he's now given it to the wife (Caroline) and the pair of them now have a nice little plastic car with a 1UZ rather than the Essex Ford V6.

http://www.bodgerben.com/Scimitar.htm

Dad's done the vast majority of the work - only asking for help when he needs another pair of hands - and my brother has helped out with tig welding the manifolds and zorst's - along with bits n bobs from his workshop - Caroline's dad has made up bits when we've needed any complicated machining so it's been a real family affair. My part in all this - I get the bits and pretend to know what I'm talking about :)

The Scimitar now has a real mix of components - obviously the Reliant Scimitar chassis and body and the Lexus Engine and box - but with Jag XJS front brakes and parts of the suspension, a Jag LSD in the original Salisbury axle, BMW seats and a Porsche Steering Wheel - custom made prop and rad along with a SPA kitdash.

Caroline and dad's first track day in the revised Scim is at Goodwood on 7th June - we've got some interior stuff to sort and Dad's having a re-jig of the front suspension. But it's nearly there.

We've obvioulsy got the body work to sort out (at least it's not going to rust) but we know that the running gear is all sorted.
In a way it would be cool to leave it with the rat look - but it's had so much time, money and effort spent on it that we'll probably prep the body and then get a professional respray done. But that can wait till after some track day fun.

Cheers,
Ben

Wow, now that's a real labor of love. Congratulations to you!

Imagine the look on your dad's face if you put twin turbos on it.......

Hi Phil, how are you doing?
I did think about a 1UZ 2 door Toledo - then reality kicked in and I thought that a standard Sprint can go far better than I can drive - so I'll leave V8'ing Triumph's to the professionals!
Be good to catch up some time - bet you have plans for a 1UZ somewhere?
All the best,
Ben

Hello Ben. Nice work on the Scimitar. That Lexus V8 shoehorned nicely into the engine bay, and by the looks of the headers, you have more room than the SC/Soarer. I have never heard of or seen a Scimitar before, but it looks like a fun track car after the work you have done. I am curious as to the total weight of the car?
Ryan

Hi Ryan,

We've tried to loose at bit of weight where easily possible - the full leather interior, some trim - rear seats, spare wheel etc.
But the Lexus V8 does weight a little bit more than the the Ford V6 - I will put the car on a weight bridge just to make sure. I hope it will be not much more than the normal SE6 weight of 1200kg. But instead of 138bhp and 170lb/ft we'll have a little bit more.

I bought a couple of sets of SS Tundra headers and used those to make the headers - the engine remains stock - so no great shakes about making the headers into 4/2/1 or 4/1 for exhaust scavenging - if we had a hot cam maybe more thought would have gone into it.

One of the good things you can see with the Scimitar is that the front pulley is just behind the front axle centre line - so the bulk of the weight is between the two axles - no great weight is on the front or ahead of the front axle.

And plenty of room has been left for a supercharger.

This is the wifes track day car - so it needs to be docile and quick - if I could afford to buy her a 993 Porsche Turbo I would - but I can't :mad:

I'm amazed by the performance of Caroline's 98 vvti LS400 - which she pedals along pretty well - and that has a darn site more mass than the Scim does - so I'm expecting more than enought performance to have fun with :)

Cheers,
Ben

MOT'd

The Scim sailed through her MOT today - one advisory - a chipped windscreen.

Roll on 7th June for her first track day at Goodwood circuit.

I'll update the pics after the track day.

Cheers,
Ben

Congrats Ben! Always good to read/hear of a success story with the UZ.

So, are you ready for a little supercharger boost yet?

Hi, your car looks great - I'm fitting a 1UZ into a lotus and need a steer with the wiring, I see you're local to me, would you mind giving me a few pointers on the wiring process?

Thanks, Mat.

That looks awesome!

I am just going to put a lexus v8 into a Vauxhall Firenza.

Only just started! Will need a lot of help! I am trying to find out about manual gearboxes!!