Project Thread SC470TT (VVTi) Twin Turbo Lexus SC400 with 4.7L Toyota Tundra Engine

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Pro said:
...and those inside seams that you have filled with weld there David will crack.

i would make a piece of material to cover the weld that wraps around to the other side of the join and then weld THAT in place.

like this.
It's better to double-weld or brace that joint. But since the exhaust gas flows straight and smooth, it's not necessary. The exhaust heat doesn't stay at that joint, thus its temperature is much lower than my design.

1uzfe TT

Guys

help ? anybody got the std cam specs for this motor ie: lift, LSA , set points?

I am looking at running TT using two B/B mitsubishi/IHI TD04H-19T. Unless I got this really wrong, these should make boost from 2k to 7k RPM @ 20Psi

Comments ???

Madcow

Gents,

Finally got sometime and spent 3 hours doing some welding. My friend borrowed my chop saw so I am left with just a 4.5" grinder. So this header is only use a grinder. Got a good deal on a 4 to 1 merge pipe. Thanks to JBrady and his connection. The merge pipe is stainless and my other pipes are mild steel. Right now I just tag weld just to hold it in place. I am still waiting for the Garrett T3 60-1 with T04S compressor housing. The turbo you see below is a dead turbo just for mocking.

I also made the header with engine oil dipstick in mind. So I installed it first before any fitting occur. Complete tig weld with ceramic coating will be the final product. Here are some pictures.

Gents,

Finally got sometime and spent 3 hours doing some welding. My friend borrowed my chop saw so I am left with just a 4.5" grinder. So this header is only use a grinder. Got a good deal on a 4 to 1 merge pipe. Thanks to JBrady and his connection. The merge pipe is stainless and my other pipes are mild steel. Right now I just tag weld just to hold it in place. I am still waiting for the Garrett T3 60-3 with T04S compressor housing. The turbo you see below is a dead turbo just for mocking.

I also made the header with engine oil dipstick in mind. So I installed it first before any fitting occur. Complete tig weld with ceramic coating will be the final product. Here are some pictures.

Looks good so far!

Back at it again. Today I spent two hours on the right header. I was short on mendral bends so I tried to be conservative. The right was little harder because of the turbo situated. However, it just take time. The final product is pretty much like the left side but with a bit sloppy on cutting and tag weld. Otherwise it will be find once a professional take over. I am still waiting for the Garrett turbo to arrive. The height between the two turbos will be determine. The 4 to 1 merge pipe and the T3 turbo flange are not welded yet. So there will be room for alignment between the two turbos. Here are some pictures.

Gents,

Got my Garrett T3 60-1 with T04S compressor. The turbine is .48 A/R. I think will run 44 mm wastegate to help high rpm exhaust flow. The guy sell me the initial turbo was wrong. He sent me T04E instead so I made my headers according to that turbo. The T04S compressor is little bigger and its very tight on the driver side and doesnt fit on the passenger. However, I can rotate the flange little bit when I install the V band. Secondly, the T04S compressor is alot deeper and allow me very little room between the two compressor for air inlet. Here are some pictures

lexus_turbo%20002.jpg
lexus_turbo%20003.jpg
lexus_turbo%20004.jpg
lexus_turbo%20005.jpg

Lost few hours of sleep and did a portion of the down pipe along with moving the turbo back to about 2 inches. The down pipe is very tight around the frame. I think its about 1/2" clearance from the frame. Since its so tight around the frame rail, I decided not to use V Band. After I come back from a trip I will do more work on it.

Man, you're really patient to weld those things up. I suck at welding, so that kind of project is a no go for me. I'm going to jimmy up some block hugger headers and add an extension to them so that I can put the turbos where I need in the engine bay.

And what's funny is that you're using the EXACT turbos that I'm going to be using...and by exact I mean I'm using the T3/T04S 60-1 .48 A/R turbos. Good choice. One question...do you think with that small housing and your big engine that there may be a chance of surging them? Or do you think that your engine divided in half (which is like 2.4L) will make the best of the turbos as far as spool goes?

60-1 with T04S compressor is a pretty big turbo. I wanted massive lower end with my car and at the same time I would like to reach 1000 hp just dyno sake. So I torn between the two. Initially I pick GT35R but the price is just crazy. Secondly, I have compared the GT35R vs. T04S 60-1 with .68 A/R. They both have very similar spool and power characteristic. I down the A/R slightly to grain more lower rpm spool. At 500 rwhp each is at their limit. Which is what I want. Anymore more then that I would have difficulty gettting boost on street driving. I would say my car would pull very hard from 3k to redline.

A perfect example would be looking at MR2 engine and their dynos. Mr2 is 2.3 liters I think so the characerstic would be very similar.

Your goals are similar to mine. I will run 18psi daily on 93 octane. I will up the boost for dyno runs on race gas, maybe 30psi. GT35R was my first pick as well, but couldn't justify the price. Maybe at a later date when I want to completely optimise the car.

I'm not sure if its the same rating but you can now buy 100 octane in Australia from the pump, worst case 98.

My project is finally starting...I just got my engine yesterday, and I'm going to spend the winter taking it apart and porting the heads...all in due time...

Spent two hours today and modify the passenger side header. Since I am using T04S instead T04E the compressor is alot larger. Secondly the compressor outlet is larger then the compressor (opposite side to the compressor outlet) Therefore I have to modify not only the depth but also the angle too. It doesn't look the same as the driver side but that is ok. They are two seperate turbos. Here are some pictures.
twin_turbo_lexus%20012.jpg
twin_turbo_lexus%20009.jpg
twin_turbo_lexus%20004.jpg
twin_turbo_lexus%20010.jpg
twin_turbo_lexus%20007.jpg

A Compliment and a Question

Greetings:

I've been lurking for a while and decided this would be a decent first post. Your setup looks very nice and well put together. However, I have a question: Will having the exhaust turbine housing close to the pulleys and belts negatively affect their longevity? In other words, is there a possibility of melting the belts due to high temperatures from the turbine housing?

Either way, the work you have completed thus far and setup for this project is spectacular.